“Slainte`”

Cuisines: Irish
Good for: View, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 23, 2013

During a day trip around Surrey, we went down to White Rock. When we arrived we were ready to eat somewhere, and there are many places to chose from here. We chose Slainte` and enjoyed a grand lunch.

Our hostess/server was a pleasure, the menu made us feel at home, the food was great. A nice spot to enjoy life in.

When in White Rock again, I will return.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We wandered in on Saint Patrick's Day and lucked into a table by the windows. The place was packed so we were quite happy to get in. We ordered an appie & beers, expecting to stay just a little while, thumbing through the big books of Irish photographs. Then our waitress asked if a woman who was on her own could share out table - of course! Turned out to be a friend of the Irish band just making its way to the stage. We decided to order dinner & enjoy the show. I've eaten here before & enjoyed the food but to be honest, after a few pints of Guinness it was all about the great Irish pub feeling, the great music, and sharing our table. Next year we plan on making a reservation for the day!

Reviewed April 6, 2013

If you don't value your Groupon customers or feel you must treat them as second class, don't advertize there. We came in for dinner and wanted to use our groupon, did not realize reservations are mandatory, our fault I admit. The fellow came to our table and gave a big speech about he would essentially do us a favor and serve us but we better get our order in immediately. Stated a couple times that reservations are "clearly" required then walked away. Basically made us feel like garbage. My wife and I felt so uncomfortable we immediately got up and left. There are ways to deal with a situation like that and this restaurant "clearly" has no idea what so ever how to do so. Will be contacting groupon to get my money back. We live in white rock and often eat at the beach. I would not spend a penny at this place ever again.

1  Thank scottandj
Jack S, Owner at Slainte By The Pier, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Sir
We plan our staffing schedule by the weather and by our reservation book. That is why we expect customers with groupon to make a reservation. We have sold over 600 groupons and we have to be able to control the flow of their arrival. You and your wife walked in at 5.30pm on a busy Saturday without a reservation. It clearly states on the groupon that you must make a reservation although despite this I told you that we would serve you, however we had a reservation of 20 seating at the same time and i would have to take your order immeadiately if you wished to stay. I am sorry if it sounded like i was doing you a favour, but I was indeed doing you a favour and i did try to explain this. We try to accommodate walk-in guests as best we can but it is our practice not to take walk-in guests if it might affect the service of guests already seated or of reservations yet to come in by overburdening the service staff or the kitchen staff. There is a limit as to how many customers we can serve in an hour, when we exceed this, nobody wins. I am sorry but this is the only way that all restaurants function.

Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Back again, this time for St. Patrick's night. We were very luck to get a table as they weren't taking reservations. Great little band playing Irish music, including Laine Henderson. We stuck with our usual fair including steak & Guiness stew and fish and chips which were excellent! And of course Guiness to drink. They pour a great pint! An art form in its own right! And I should know as I used to own a pub in Ireland!

Great service in spite of being such a busy night! Thanks to Jack & his staff

1  Thank NorthernPoet
Reviewed March 20, 2013

With a multitude of eating establishments along Marine Drive to choose from, we picked Slainte By The Pier as our afternoon stop to fuel up. With a promised Irish pub flare and food to match, we settled in. Since this was lunch, our selection was: Chicken Pot Pie and Beef & Guinness Stew on a cold, wet day (comfort food!). The Pot Pie contained generous portions of chicken breast, chunks of baby potatoes and garden vegies, in a white cream sauce. The dish was served hot (something my wife appreciates), marinating flavours culminating in a delicious meal. The same can be said for the Beef & Guinness stew. Top it off with a pint of your choice, what else do you need! The atmosphere was subdued and the server was friendly. Overall, a good time was had by all. P.S. We cashed in an Entertainment coupon up front and it did not affected the quality of food, portion nor service. Look forward to an evening out (dinner) and immersing in the cultural experience of the Isles.