“Taste of White Rock set meal was enjoyable”
Review of Jan's on the Beach

Jan's on the Beach
Reserve with OpenTable
Jan's on the Beach is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 156 Restaurants in White Rock
Price range: US$9 - US$27
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Vidal
Transit: A BC transit bus stop is available right across the street from our restaurant.
Description: Jan's on the Beach: Open for Breakfast Lunch and Dinner. "Seafood and more" menu, great patio view of the San Juan Islands. Our menu focuses on fresh local ingredients, and is made to order from scratch right in our open kitchen. You can reserve a table online via Opentable, or call us! Hours of Business on our Website!
Reviewed February 8, 2016

We ate at this restaurant on a Friday night in February 2016 with a friend during the Taste of White Rock week. Our dinner reservations were for 6pm. Luckily at that time of night, we got a parking spot across the street in the limited space of the pay car park there; otherwise, the next car park was about a block away. Of course, parking is free for White Rock residents.

Jan's on the Beach is located close to the wharf in White Rock along Marine Drive's "restaurant row". The restaurant is small with about 9 tables inside and a few more available outside when the weather is nicer. Inside, the gleaming stainless steel kitchen takes up quite a bit of the floor area. There is a small bar at the back used mainly as an area for preparing drinks to take to the tables. This whole evening we were entertained by a singer, when really we just wanted to chat with our friend. Sometimes we couldn't hear the other person speak due to the noise level. The feel of the restaurant is like a casual bistro (no tablecloths nor placemats) with wood floors and small tables for 2 and 4 surrounded by comfortable chairs.The contemporary white serving dishes in unusual shapes made me feel the food served would be upscale. Inside, the decor is not shabby while the patio area on that rainy night didn't look appealing.

We were immediately seated and lovely cold ice water was served in sparkling glasses. After our order was taken we were served bite-sized pieces of focaccia bread with balsamic vinegar and olive oil for dipping - one piece each. The set menu I noticed was not from the regular menu items which seemed to be quite extensive for such a small place. The restaurant is open from 10am so it serves limited breakfast fare, then lunch and dinner, closing at 9pm. I noticed that similar items appearing on both the lunch and dinner menu had the same price.

The set menu offered 2 choices for starters, 4 choices for mains and 2 choices for dessert. I had the grilled caesar salad - wouldn't order that again - to start while my companions had a cup of thick tomato soup served with crackers which they liked very much. My salmon and shrimp wellington was tasty and was served with a very generous serving of mixed sauteed vegetables - cauliflower, brussel sprouts, and carrots. The puff pastry was nicely crisped and the filling was hot and cooked through. I would order that dish again. My companions both had the lamb shank also served with the same vegetables and mashed potatoes. The serving of meat was hearty, not fatty, but no mint sauce was offered and missed terribly by my hubby. On offer for dessert was bread pudding with ice cream - their own roasted banana ice cream was very good and could stand alone without the bread pudding, a bit much for me as a dessert after a filling meal. Our friend had the chocolate tarte which sounded better than it was to eat. Wine was extra but the gentlemen thought the way the restaurant pared the wine to the meal choices was unique and so they indulged. A small bowl with hot water and rolled towels were put on the table for the men to use after their lamb meal which I hadn't seen offered in other places for the same type of meal. Our meal took just over 1 1/2 hours. All indoor tables were taken so reservations would be required to ensure a seat.

For $30, a 3 course meal was a good deal. We all had dishes with foods we liked. Had it not been for the special deal offered during the Taste of White Rock week, we would not have come out on a rainy night to White Rock for dinner. We also tend to avoid these Marine Drive restaurants due to the high price of parking in the car parks in addition to a pricey meal.

Reviewed February 5, 2016

Very friendly staff. Chef Jan is right there cooking for you. Tried the set menu for Taste White Rock - very good. Would have preferred bread to go with the soup rather than crackers. Braised Lamb very tender - needed a bit of salt and we generally do not add anything extra to restaurant food. This is fine since we'd rather add our own than have it too salty which is often the case at many restaurants. Excellent desserts. Good atmosphere. We noticed there is an outdoor area where cushions and blankets and heat lamp made it very enticing to stay outdoors.

Reviewed February 1, 2016 via mobile

Food was great and so was service. We will definitely be back again. There are a lot of restaurants in white rock and this one is good.

Reviewed January 30, 2016

Out for A Taste of White Rock event and we were so pleased with the atmosphere, the service with wine suggestions, the live acoustic dinner music, the chance to watch the chef's magic...and the fabulous food! Best salmon Wellington and grilled ceasar....brussells sprouts to dazzle your taste buds! My husband loved the gnocci.
Great creations...we vow to make this our favourite treat night as often as we can!

Reviewed January 30, 2016

Good little restaurant, and the owners are obviously trying hard to meet the needs of the community--like being open on Mondays when almost no one else is.

But the kitchen could use a little direction on filling orders. The other day, a friend and I ordered a bowl of mussels, sides of macaroni and cheese, Brussels sprouts and garlic shrimp. The mussels were meant to be our first course (and this was explained to our server), but unfortunately everything came at once. So our poor little table had on it: the big bowl of mussels, one bowl each for discarded shells, two small plates for scooping the three items we were sharing. That's eight items--plus two wine glasses and two small pichets (carafes).

How we managed to not knock over our wine glasses, I don't know.

Second problem? That everything arrived at once caused us to have to choose what to let get cold while we ate the other. We opted for tasting the side dishes first.

Third problem? Inconsistency. The Brussels sprouts came piping hot, and were delicious. But the macaroni and cheese was only just warm, which made it a bit gritty and completely unsatisfying. This is a dish made in a large format that's scooped into small dishes and reheated to order. This dish didn't cool down quickly, it wasn't heated enough in the first place--I have chef skills, I understand what heat does. And for full glory, bechamel and cheese need heat, otherwise the sauce/cheese is lumpy/gritty. And that's what we got. If I'd been at home I'd have stuck it back in the microwave.

I'm reminded that the last time I ate here I ordered a brie Panini in which the bread wasn't very toasted and the brie inside hadn't melted. In fact, I returned this time to give the restaurant a second chance to show me what they could do--I had written a bad review then, and I wanted to post something more positive.

Unfortunately, I can't.