New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Brandon
Winnipeg, Canada
“Could Use Improvement”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

My family & I stayed at this motel for 2 nights. First impressions of our room was that it smelled very old and musty. We had to go to a store to get an air freshener so the room wouldn't smell bad. The furniture reminded me of old 2nd hand furniture. The room consisted of a queen size bed which was surprisingly comfortable and a pull out couch that I think was broken. All fixtures are original (old). The tv was new as it was a flat screen (small) and the tub/shower was newer but had no plug for a bath. The soap provided was no bigger than a toonie. The locks for the outside door and inside door were chain locks only. The lock on the door handle was broken. The towels provided were old blue thin towels. On the positive side the continental breakfast provided was good, but very limited. Hot and cold cereal, toast, make your own waffles and different juices and fresh fruit. This motel needs alot of TLC....If the owners are reading this, they need to renovate badly, othewise I don't know how much longer they can stay in business.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank cougar63

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2010

I stayed at the Redwood with my wife since the rest of our family decided to stay there too for a function we were all attending. Here's an overview of the good and the bad sides of the Redwood:

GOOD

-Location is not bad, on 18th Street fairly close to downtown Brandon, the Trans-Canada Highway and the various stores and attractions on the north side. (This could be a problem if you need to be in the south side, though)

-In a city where room rates are very high, the Redwood's prices are decent - about $80 to $100 on average, from what I could tell.

-Plentiful free parking

-Good selection of TV channels

-Free coffee and cereal (not quite what I'd call a "continental breakfast", but whatever)

-Beds were pretty comfortable

-There were a couple of computers set up off the lobby and the place advertises free Wi-Fi (which I didn't use so I can't vouch for)

BAD

-Poorly maintained property with a number of things left damaged and unrepaired

-Some of the worst towels I have ever seen in a hotel room. Seriously, you can buy cheap hotel towels by the bushel and they would be an improvement over these rags. This would not be a big deal if the room were $40 a night, but at double that rate (which is what we paid) I would think the owners could part with a few bucks and provide some decent towels and toiletries.

-An overall dingy and shabby feel that you simply would not expect at this price. The owners clearly try to go the extra mile with wi-fi, a continental breakfast, a hot tub and some other frills, but they fail to deliver on the fundamentals.

Unless price is a major stumbling block, I'd say shell out the few extra dollars and go for a better hotel. Normally I'm fine with the cheaper alternative, but the Redwood is not cheap and still doesn't really manage to deliver a pleasant stay.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank patrolman_pete

Travellers are raving about these Brandon hotels

Yorkton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

Smoke detectors have batteries put in backwards to keep them from going off since the steam from showers set them off. Old, worn out, thick dirt in corners, all around bad place to stay. For $69 night I expected better than this dump.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Labrador City, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2010

This place is so gross words cannot express ! Dirty run down rooms , old worn stained towels , uncomfortable beds and a general feeling of EW ! I will never stay here again ! gross , gross , gross ......

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank nanciann
hanna
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2009

Great hotel very freindly people nice clean rooms nice to have coffee availiable 24 7 which is a big plus for me i drink alot of coffee i liked the free movie channels hot tub was down but was told its a new one and there waitin for the permets would totally stay at this hotel again recommened it to everyone

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
Winnipeg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2009

We have stayed at the Redwood many times over the years and have always been pleased with the accommodations and service. After recently reading the reviews we wondered if something had changed. Fortunately we experienced the same great service and friendly staff. And the rates are reasonable as well. Biggest problem is the parking lot is often full.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Manitoba
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2009

We stayed one night at the motel. We have 3 young children and they were having a bath. They were somewhat loud but it was only 8:00 we had checked in around 6:30. The girl at the desk came to our room and told us that our children were too loud. I apologized and we continued to watch t.v. and play. Then the girl phoned our room and told us that we were too loud. After the 2nd call I walked down to the desk and reminded her it was only 9:00 she said that whenI can herar you in the hall it is too loud. I tried to explain the sitiuation but she was rude. I asked for a refund and said we would go if she continued to harass us. She said we could leave but no money would be refunded. The next morning at check out. The manger apologized to my husband and said that he hoped we would come again. He said I will never stay here again.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family