Let's start with the positives:
1. There is adequate heat.
2. Until the promised second water heater is installed, there is hot water unless a few other guests have taken showers near the time you want to do so.
3. There is WiFi if you stand in the hall. Goes away if you step into the room.
4. There are abundant clean towels you can get from the closet near the front door, but you need to be careful not to knock the drill bits and tools onto the floor.
5. There is a free continental breakfast two buildings down the street at the Churchill Hotel/Motel. Recommendation: walk down to Gypsy's Bakery instead, but watch for bears.
6. There is transportation to/from the airport if the truck isn't in the shop.
7. The proprietors are friendly, but really disorganized.
That said, one has to understand the difficulty of getting building materials or anything else in Churchill. There is no road to the rest of the country. Goods have to come in by train 3x a week, small plane (Calm Air) expensively through November, when they quit flying until late spring, or ship, when Hudson Bay is not frozen. This hotel consists of two double wide trailers stuck together end to end, and I assume that before the fire and the resultant water damage in one of them, it had a lobby of sorts in the middle. That's blocked off now, and what's left is a bare porch (no railing, no mats), and small entry full of tools and a ladder. Opens directly to the snow and wind. There is a narrow hall and some tiny rooms on either side in the one remaining double wide. They are trying to fix everything, but given the expense and difficulty of getting materials, and the fact that there seem to be only a couple of people working, it's a daunting task.
When we told people in town (around 800 live there) where we were staying, they gave the following answers: 1. They're open? 2. I thought that place had been condemned! 3. It's still there? 4. But they're closed! 5. I can't believe they're still in business!
Not encouraging. Still, like I said, it was clean, heated, and fairly friendly. They were obviously going to get around to hooking up the smoke detector, since the wires were hanging from the ceiling. The maid service and do not disturb signs were hanging on the doorknob, though there was no maid and the sounds of construction or the conservation people shooting off flares and pop guns to scare away an errant polar bear tended to disturb a bit.
To go see polar bears, beluga whales and such in Churchill, you need to book 6 months in advance. If nothing else is available, and you're going to be out on the tundra rovers or dog sledding or whatever, not spending any time in your hotel room, book here. Everything in Churchill is expensive, so this, which would be a really, really budget motel at home, is also.
It's an experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Bear Country Inn is conveniently located on the main street in Churchill Manitoba Canada, the Polar Bear Capital of the world! Within walking distance to all shopping and restaurants, entertainment is always close at hand. Guests can rest at ease in our cozy, but modest 26 room Inn. Each of our rooms are simply furnished and feature a private commode, standing showers, a flat-screen TV, small refrigerator and free wifi within the hotel. Shuttle to/from the airport and train station can also be arranged, free of charge. *Please be advised that half of our Inn is currently undergoing renovations for 2017, due to a leak we experienced in the previous year. We are on a brighten path to becoming the best that we can offer in accommodations as we go through this transformation. We appreciate your understanding at this time and hope to see you during the busy 2017 season!* ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Bear Country Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bear Country Hotel Churchill
- Country Inn Churchill
- Churchill Country Inn
- Bear Country Inn Churchill, Manitoba