“Basic- but good enough”

and 1 more site!
Bear Country Inn
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Churchill
Reviewed 2 November 2016

Bear Country Inn is a very basic accommodation, probably more like a B & B. They picked us up at the airport and were friendly upon arrival. John Sr is an interesting person and I had a really good chat with him about the area. The rooms are very plain and each seems to have two single beds. One day, I did not have hot water for the shower while the other day was super. There is a small breakfast room that has a continental breakfast with a variety of nuns and pastries, eggs, cereal, juices and toast. John also runs tours in the area. The hotel is across the street from the souvenir store and nothing is more than a 10 minute walk. I would stay there again for sure

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 November 2016 via mobile

When you're in Churchill you should be out exploring and not hold up in your hotel. This is a basic motel but should fill your needs. The rooms are warm, clean, and comfortable. Everyone is friendly and breakfast is more than adequate. If you have the time have John Sr. take you on a tour, very informative.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2016

I was supposed to stay at the Churchill Motel,but as a result of a mess-up by my tour (Rail Travel Tours, don't go there...) I ended up at the Bear country Inn, next door and owned by the same person.
I realise this is Churchill and one must make allowances - lots of them - but this place is basically a shack with a bunch of rooms, not even a reception area and coffee making facilities in the corridor. On the plus side: John the owner was helpful, the room was warm and the bed comfortable! No bedside table let alone a reading light. The furniture a mishmash of stuff the Salvation Army would reject. The whole place is really really basic. I spoke to people who had gone to B&Bs found online, and their hosts had taken them sightseeing; they were very happy with this way of staying in Churchill and this may be a way to avoid primitive 'hotels' .

Room Tip: there are no 'good' rooms
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 October 2016 via mobile

This is a very basic hotel/ motel type place but you are in Churchill so should not be spending much time in the room. They are still doing repairs from a flood last year and the amenities, hallways, etc are WIP and is stages of repair. Room was good, comfortable beds, heat and a small fridge. TV picture was terrible, Internet worked well most of the time, water seemed to get cold after the first person showered in the morning. Issues were around being able to find someone if you needed anything as there was only someone there sometimes in the early morning and evening but if you were not around at that time there was no front desk or customer service. We basically helps ourselves to whatever we needed in the storage room. Owners were friendly and helpful when they were around though. I would return but probably stay at their other property, the Churchill hotel, until all the rents and repairs are complete at this hotel.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2015

The whole place is very basic and has suffered from a major leak/flood.

The airport pick up was a bit shambolic.

Room was clean, water hot, the bed was old though and the mattress sagged badly in the middle.

Breakfast was basic continental.

What you might expect from a place run by a couple of builders.

Remember you are there to see the Bears and accept the limitations of the accommodation.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2015

I booked this hotel the day before we arrived in Churchill and during bear season, we were very lucky to even get a room. The owner is friendly and will pickup and drop you off at the airport at no charge. There is free wifi which worked pretty good. A little disorganized but for one night it was good enough. We stayed in a room with two twin beds. The room was small but big enough for what we needed. I was surprised to see a small fridge in the room which was nice. There was also a tv as well but the quality of the picture wasn't the greatest. The bathroom was small but clean. The water was hot and the water pressure was quite good actually. The bed was alright. My only complaint was that there was only one pillow per bed, but I'm guessing if I had asked, I would have been able to get one or two more. I never bothered because I just used an extra blanket for support. In the morning there was a continental breakfast set up in a small room across the hall from the entrance. We didn't have anything to eat but they had a decent selection of food. Expensive considering what you get for the night, but it is cheaper than a few other places in town during bear season, and you have to remember you're in the north, not in a metropolis city.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 November 2015

this place should be condemned. apparently they had a serious water issue recently. i think the mold must have set in badly because by morning my sinuses/body was freaking out. i had to get out. others didn't have an issue. thank heavens i had some Claritin with me, and that i booked as different hotel the second night. aside from the mold, it would have been ok. very rough, but an ok bed. also, highly disorganized. the room wasn't ready until 5, and it was the wrong type.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family

Been to Bear Country Inn? Share your experiences!