Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Frankie Nigh
Lake Dallas, Texas

Amazing Expedition to view Polar Bears!

Review of Lazy Bear Lodge
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Nov 8, 2022
Better than expected. Saw Polar Bears on both days on the Tundra. We were lucky as the 2nd day we had a Polar Bear come up to the Tundra Buggy. (I think it was the smell of chili as the guides were getting our lunch ready). Our guides, Eric & Deacon - the owner's son were great! Funny and knowledgeable about the bears and the area. Deacon - aka Muskrat King was hilarious and his magic show was great. The lodge was comfortable with private bathrooms in each room. Restaurant had great food, we loved the breakfast and dinners. The entire staff were friendly and helpful. Sue was great answering all our questions when booking and getting to the airport and lodge. We saw the Northern Lights, Could not go on the dog sled ride as it was too warm for sled and too mushy for the wheels. But Dave Daley gave a nice talk about the dogs and his adventures in dog sledding. I did a lot of research on several Polar Bear excursions before I booked with Lazy Bear Lodge. I made the right choice and would definitely go back sometime to see the Beluga whales too! Thanks to everyone at Lazy Bear Lodge for checking everything off my bucket list!
Date of stay: October 2022
Room Tip: All rooms are comfortable. Some are on 1st floor, rest on 2nd floor.
5.0 of 5 bubblesCleanliness
    • eDreams
    1.1 km from Lazy Bear Lodge
    Property building
      0.4 km from Lazy Bear Lodge
      Contact accommodation for availability.
      0.0 km from Lazy Bear Lodge
      View more hotels in Churchill
      All reviews beluga whales arctic char polar bear dog mushing place to stay northern lights cultural tour in town hudson bay whale watching tour included in the package bucket list two double beds churchill experience expensive trip the entire staff tundra buggy
      Selected filters
      Reviewed October 30, 2022 via mobile

First of all I read sone negative comments regarding Lazy Bear Expeditions which were written be A few unhappy travelers that expected a Marriott with all the amenities. Well, this not a Marriott it is a lodge built and owned by Wally Daudrich, a man born in Churchill who was a guide and built this business from scratch. He and his family have worked hard to build a fantastic operation that employs many from all over the world. His employees are hard working, courteous and friendly. His son, Deacon alias “muskrat king” as I called him is a terrific young man and was our guide; 17 years old and is years old and most knowledgeable and makes sure all tourists remain safe as this is polar bear country. Our trip was booked thru Lazy Bear and there Winnipeg contact, Sue, was terrific. Stayed at inn at the forks in Winnipeg; a terrific hotel at a great location. Our flight was delayed on first day by snowstorm in Churchill some 7 hours. Sue made arrangements to take the group to Winnipeg museum, and we finally arrived in snowy, clod Churchill late evening where they kept the restaurant open for us. Our rooms were small bit cozy. Hot shower and Keurig machine. Breakfast was great and they have the only espresso/ Cappucinno machine in Churchill. Which by the way is only aaccessible by train or plane. That’s why expensive.
      FYI, Wally just bought a 47’ catamaran boat foe beluga tours. A state of the art boat that was shipped up and will be ready for upcoming summer.
      We viewed many polar bears, red Fox during our trip. Remember, nothing is guaranteed in life, that means polar bear sighting is not guaranteed but our driver and guide found them.
      So prepare for an adventure with a terrific family owned tour operation and remember that you are in Churchill, CA, population of 950, three restaurants and no five star hotels.
      Oh, yes we saw northern lights, the front desk called us three times at night to let us know the northern lights were going on and what colors they were.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
      Reviewed October 29, 2022 via mobile

Our trip was amazing and over exceeded our expectations. Lazybear does everything possible to have you see the polar bears. The lodge is a lodge and you will hear noise and food was ok and a small lounge area, but they try to accommodate everyone as best they can. The people at the lodge go out of their way to make this a great trip for you. Our driver and tour guide Eric and Deacan were knowledgeable and passionate about making this the best trip possible. Please remember to tip (although they do not ask for a tip), they work hard long days for all of our enjoyment and although it is a lot of money for this trip we realized no one can control where the bears are and Lazybear does everything they can to make it possible. They only get to work 6 months of the year. The dog mushing experience and Northern lights were both amazing as well. The best place to shop for souvenirs is the gift shop beside the lodge. Flights will be delayed so plan for a delayed flight. Great experience and we will be back for Bulega Whale season at some point.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
      Reviewed September 14, 2022

We stayed there during our stay in Churchill. The place is remote and the village is small, but accomodations were really unwelcoming. The room was VERY small, almost impossible to move around if you have a big piece of luggage. Food was substandard; we could get better items from the local supermarket. THere is no social area. When they close the restaurant area (the restaurant works only a couple of hours per day) there is no place to stay in the lobby. During nighttime, there was no one in the lobby and no contact telephone available (we try to call and got no answer). I wonder what would happen if something occur to a guest (even simple things like getting stuck out of the room, not to mention medical issues, etc).

Date of stay: September 2022
      2  Thank acukiert
      Reviewed September 12, 2022

We were here in July . The town of Churchill is very slow with a few treasures in it. Lazy Bear Lodge was wonderful The food was great in the restaurant . The service was really good. They busted their behinds while being understaffed . They were so nice and respectful . Patience was key. The rooms were very comfortable . I know that 4 days isn't a long time but it was plenty to do everything we had signed up for. Don't pass on the up close and personal with the Belugas. It was such a treat to put our face in the water and SING , yes SING, to the whales! We loved our time there. We saw polar bears lounging around the shores. We of coarse were in a boat or HUGE snow truck. We went dog sledding too. What a treat that was. When you have an incredible opportunity like this you should take it!

Date of stay: July 2022
      Reviewed September 10, 2022

I booked the Bears and Aurora Tour mostly to see the northern lights. The one night that one was likely to see them, I stopped at the front desk around 6 p.m. and specifically asked when we would be taken to an area to see the lights. I was told that it was up to the tour guides. The desk clerk suggested I just go outside the hotel across the street to view the sky between 10 p.m. and 1 a.m.

The next evening at dinner I was talking with some other tour members and commented that it was too bad we weren't going to see the northern lights. My friends said but we were taken out to see them last night around 10 p.m. and she showed me some pictures she had taken of the aurora. So the very same night that I had spoken to the front desk clerk, a tour had been quickly arranged and the management didn't care enough to be sure to notify EVERYONE of the opportunity--especially since I had specifically asked about this--they simply don't care!

On our last day there we were to leave for the airport around 12:40 p.m and I was told to be at the pickup spot at 12:30 p.m. So I figured I could have a leisurely time until 12:30 p.m. NOT SO--a loud mouthed housekeeper BANGED on my door at 11:00 a.m. and said they wanted to strip the beds now which meant I had to scramble aand get out of the room. I learned other tour members had been acosted at 8:00 a.m. in the same way but but didn't move. HOW CAN A COMPANY TREAT GUESTS WHO HAVE PAID ABOUT $1,000/DAY FOR THE EXPERIENCE SO UNPROFESSIONALLY???????

Oh, and don't plan on gaining weight by eating in their restaurant. Half the items they have on their menu are not available. One of their waitresses needs to be either trained or retrained. She would take an order, not write anything down, and then deliver about half of what you actually ordered. And about half of the food on the plate was not hot; vegetable were not cooked.

Date of stay: September 2022