“Historic and Enjoyable”

Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Historic and Enjoyable”
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I stayed here in April 2012 from Minnesota as part of a group traveling for business to Winnipeg. The exterior of the hotel is absolutely breathtaking: it is rare to see this kind of architecture in such excellent condition outside of Europe or New York.

The lobby is exceptionally beautiful and a throwback to a time none of us were likely living. I very much enjoy taking in history such as this and was very impressed with the lobby's beautiful marble and accents. The round dining/cocktail room with the pianist in the evening was a nice touch, as well. Great service from our very handsome server, as well.

Check in went well, though they made no mention that breakfast was included in my rate, which when traveling on business, is easily overlooked if you were not in charge of the reservations. It was efficient, professional, and polite.

My room on the 8th floor was just fine. I can't stand when other reviewers on TripAdvisor complain about how "worn" a hotel of this age is. While the elevators and other high-traffic areas needed some touch ups from excessive use, this can be said of just about any hotel. My room was meticulously well cleaned and comfortable, though the temperature tended to fluctuate between incredibly hot or incredibly cold - I wasn't quite able to find a happy medium. In the hotel's defense, the weather did fluctuate quite frequently during my stay, so this is to be expected. The small window in my room was sealed shut - just a heads up.

The room was in very good condition (outside of some stray strings in a corner from the carpet-laying), and showed minimal signs of wear. The bed was also incredibly comfortable and I appreciated the arm chairs. It might be time to upgrade the TV sets to flat screens, however, though the channel selection was quite extensive. I very much appreciated the 24-hour complimentary coffee and tea service, and was VERY surprised to see how well-presented it was, complete with a sugar cookie or biscotti. Very nice touch.

Breakfast in the morning was quite good, with on-site chefs cooking up fresh omelets. There was a nice assortment of oatmeals with dozens of fresh fruit and sugar toppings, as well as danish and muffins. As an American, I was a bit surprised to see a bill presented to me for breakfast when it was included with the rate - I had to fill out my room information. It never appeared on my bill so all's well that ends well, I suppose.

During our banquet functions, I was a bit discouraged to see that the banquet staff failed to skirt our buffet table all the way around, leaving a gaudy 'bald' spot on one end. As a sales manager in a hotel who deals with banquet space on a daily basis, this is a small detail that should not be overlooked, especially at a hotel of this caliber. Mistakes happen, though. It should also be noted that our catered breakfast buffet was about 30-45 minutes later than what our order indicated, which aggravated many of our clients, though the banquet server was very friendly and apologetic - it certainly wasn't her fault.

I don't attest to know much about Winnipeg, as it was my first trip and I didn't have much time to explore, but the hotel seems to have a solid location to many hotspots downtown. It's hard to justify paying $15 a day for wi-fi internet access (or $25 for several days), but business is business, I suppose. If I ever make it back to Winnipeg, I would definitely consider staying at the hotel again. People who complain about the age or condition of the hotel should probably just stay at a hotel build this century. If you enjoy history and a clean room - you'll love this hotel.

Room Tip: If you're staying for multiple days, consider buying the $25 wi-fi package if you absolutely mus...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank mno86

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
MOOSE JAW
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I am trying to stay in these old hotels that used to be CP Hotels and the Hotel Fort Garry is one of those. It is located just down the street from the main train station and I can just imagine how it would have been 50 years ago. The hotel is still a lovely building and the staff that I encountered were very nice - everyone from the super friendly guy who parked my car to the very warm but professional waiters in the bar off the lobby were great. That bar, by the way, is one of the most beautiful rooms anywhere. The downsides are that some things are looking kind of tired. The room was fine - large, great linens and mattress - but it needs renovating and updating. The hallways are wide old fashioned style which is great - but the carpet looks worn. The Sunday brunch is pricey but good - not sure if it is really worth it but that is just me. Overall I liked the place and would stay there again.

Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Aster6
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Dated and dissmall - they don't have their own internet and surrender u to a 3rd party who is ripping u off and the bandwidth is brutal.

Washroom is tiny and just tired and dirty.

Check in line was huge. Parking is pay and never got the right parking card to get in and out.

Give it a miss.

• Stayed April 2012
5 Thank Bararteg
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 14 April 2012

A recent return to the Fort Garry revealed some additional problems that I didn't encounter on my first visit. They are renovating the lobby, replacing the marble and the noise is horrendous. I didn't get a room upgrade this time and ended up in a very small room on the second floor. They really need to improve the draperies, the amount of light in the room, even in the middle of the night is unacceptable. I was on the end, to make it worse, I had two large windows with curtains that blocked almost no light. Great breakfast however!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Steve C
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Went for Easter Brunch at the Fort Garry and we were not disappointed. It is expensive ($55 per person) but worth it every once in a while. From the bread selection, cheese options, the salmon, crab or shrimp, prime rib, lamb or pork all was delicious. The usual french toast and waffles were also good as were the deserts. If there was a negative it was the selection of potatoes, a potato salad and shredded potatos. Coffee & orange juice were good. I perfer my juice colder than what was served though.
There was a person dressed up as an easter bunny handing out fresh carrots/candy to the kids. Nice idea but the mask was kind of creepy. It probably scared a few of the children. We weren't rushed. This is the best place for a Sunday brunch anywhere in Winnipeg.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Fargo
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We have stayed at the Ft. Garry many times over the past seven years. We chose it as the hotel for our wedding guests in Canada, so it has a lot of great memories for us. Yes, the rooms hearken back to yesteryear - but I find that charming. And the beds - probably the most comfortable hotel beds we've ever slept in. The hotel is right downtown - easy walking distance to the Forks and other attractions. There is plenty of parking. We'll be staying there again.
We have found the staff to be very accommodating and they gave us a great package rate for the rooms for our wedding. We (the grooms) even got a nice upgrade to a suite.
The Sunday brunch is phenomenal - and included with your room! Even the daily breakfast in the charming breakfast room is wonderful. The main level bar/restaurant is fun and has a lovely atmosphere.
The only thing I would tell you to avoid is the revolving restaurant in the attached building next door. We tried lunch there - really awful. It's not really part of the hotel - but just to warn you.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2012

When I first entered my room, I thought I was going back in time. My room was fully covered of pink design wall paper. Not very nice to see. Although I found out later that the other rooms were not as colorful as mine...

The morning after my first night, the hairdryer was not working. So had to call the room service who was very kind and quick to bring me another hairdryer. The food was amazing and so yummy! The service was great. But I was there for business and did not pay for the room.

The location of the hotel is very very close to the forks market (walking distance).

On that note, if you have to pay out of your pocket, I do not recommend this hotel. I think it's way to pricey for room you will get. Plus, you will have to pay for internet wireless and parking (which is not uncommon in "fancy" hotels).

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business