“No Ghost”
Review of Fort Garry Hotel

Fort Garry Hotel
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I have stayed at numerous hotels in Winnipeg and this stay at the Ft. Garry was my first.
I was told the hotel was haunted and asked at checking if this was true.
I was told that there was an incident where life was lost on the second floor, Room 202.
I passed on the offer and was very pleaded with my accommodation on the 8th floor. No ghosts.

It is a classic old hotel where hospitality is coupled with charm.

If you are looking for comfort you'll find it hear.

Nearby, a short 10 minute stroll will get you to the Forks with much to see and do.

• Stayed: June 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,205)

Reviewed 2 June 2012

The Fort Garry Hotel exudes elegance from days gone by. Today it is a comfortable hotel with rooms that have some of the old touches of luxury. My room had a very comfortable bed, a decent amount of space and a great shower. The only shortfalls were a missing bureau, a thermostat that worked and a TV from this century. The Hotel staff were friendly, helpful and available. While I didn't eat in the restaurant the hotel did cater our function and the food was delicious. Speaking as a vegetarian the chef should be acknowledged for his/her excellence. The hotel's location is convenient with good access to walking and businesses.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Laura W, Manager at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Thank you for your review and the wonderful compliment for our chef and kitchen staff. We have a very strong commitment to healthy living and are glad that our passion is reflected in the taste of our food.

I am pleased that you enjoyed a very comfortable stay with us. Our apologies for the maintenance issue with the thermostat in your guest room; if you could kindly contact me by e-mail with the guest room number I will ensure this is promptly taken care of.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fort Garry Hotel should you return to Winnipeg.

Marketing Director,
The Fort Garry Hotel, Spa & Conference Centre
(204) 946-6523

Reviewed 31 May 2012

Fort Garry is one of the most grandiose hotel in town if not the country. Its lobby is breathtaking, and the restaurant is also quite excellent.

However, its rooms are really depressingly outdated. Seriously, the furniture looks like they were from the 70s. The room I was in still have a cathode ray tube TV, in 2012!!! The wall paper are super old school, the desk is antique and partnered with a tiny and flimsy looking piano bench. Overall, it feels like visiting your grandparents' retirement home.

Location-wise, it is a little out of the way for a business trip, but okay. The breakfast is quite good. The Keg is across the street is probably the only kitchen in downtown that opens late.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank BoywonderTo

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to Winnipeg, and for reviewing your stay. We appreciate feedback as we endeavor to provide unmatched service excellence, amenities and ultimately, satisfied guests. I am pleased that we were able to provide exceptional service duing your stay and that you appreciated the opulence of our grand lobby.

Part of our charm as a national historic site hotel is the uniqueness of our accommodations, each is slightly different with varying décor and furniture. Please accept our apologies that your guestroom décor did not meet your expectations of us. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally if you do return to The Fort Garry, and I would be pleased to assist in finding you a guestroom with up-to-date décor, TV, and furniture. Our front desk and concierge bell staff are a great resource for recommendations on dining in downtown Winnipeg, we would also be pleased to provide you with a list of our favorite late-night downtown dining spots if you like.

Again, thank you for staying with us, and for your review. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Winnipeg.

Laura Wiebe,
Marketing Director
The Fort Garry Hotel, Spa & Conference Centre
(204) 946-6523

Reviewed 27 May 2012

This is historic hotel-now B&B is
well located in downtown Winnipeg next to excellent walks and sights.. While it's decor is somewhat tired, it is clean and comfortable and offers prompt and friendly service and wonderful breakfasts!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bob M
Laura W, Marketing Director at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

I'm glad you had a great stay with us, and that you enjoyed our famous chef-to-guest breakfasts. Downtown Winnipeg is beautiful, the next time you visit us be sure to request a "Fort St. View" on a high floor to experience a picturesque sunrise over the Forks Market Historic Site, the Canadian Museum of Human Rights and Esplanade Riel.

Thank you for staying with us, and for taking the time to write your review.

Marketing Director

(204)946-6523

Reviewed 26 May 2012

This is a gracious historic hotel. Decor and furnishings are traditional and conservative. I spent one night here on a business trip, and enjoyed my stay. Parts of it, such as the Banquet Hall, have been well-renovated, parts of it, such as my room, had finishes that were a bit tired. The level of service was good. Recommended.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Absolutely beautiful spa, wonderful Sunday brunch (and a great breakfast on other days), nice walking area. You'll be disappointed if you expect updated rooms - they most likely will be closer to your grandma's style. Definitely worth a stay if you have time to get a spa package/ breakfast package. Have had some issues in the past with mistakes on the bill, but they were usually fixed quickly.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank illjill
RMacFar, Marketing Director at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Thank you for your recent stay with us, and for your honest feedback. Please accept our apologies for the slight setback in your billing, but I'm glad we were able to resolve the issue quickly.

We are looking forward to celebrating our 100th anniversary next year and as a historic building part of our charm is that each guestroom is slightly different with varying furniture and decor. I invite you to call me personally when planning your next stay with us, and I would be pleased to assist you in finding a room that will suit your taste.

We take pride in our culinary services and in Ten Spa so I am happy that you took the opportunity to try them and that you enjoyed your overall stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Marketing Director,
The Fort Garry Hotel, Spa and Conference Centre
204-946-6523

Reviewed 18 May 2012

Stayed here for meetings for 4 nights in April and was totally captivated by this old hotel. It was a beautiful change from the countless modern hotels today - definitely an older hotel with door knobs and bathrooms with old tubs, but the drapes and wall paper and linens are charming.
Service in the dining room was excellent, the food and drinks were very good and incredibly reasonably priced.
The SPA is SENSATIONAL - I had a massage that was excellent and the environment is so peaceful and a whole world away from the hustle and bustele of everyday.
I'd also rate the breakfast at 5 stars - my colleagues were raving about the eggs benedict and the fresh fruits and pastries were also excellent.
Stay in a room away from the elevators and the noise does travel in an older building like this but I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators - it is an older building and the noise of the doors opening and closin...