“"The Regis" = Wild and Wooly”
Review of St. Regis Hotel

St. Regis Hotel
Ranked #59 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
thunder bay
“"The Regis" = Wild and Wooly”
Reviewed 15 November 2008

I stayed at "The Regis" in Winnipeg for the first time, ever, this week (Nov 12, 2008). I was there for three nights, and felt like I was on a roller coaster ride the entire time. It starts when you get to the front door: there were usually a bunch of drunk people pushing, shoving, yelling, looking a bit dangerous. Then the security guard gives you a distrusting look, and you run by on your way to the elevator. Watch out for the people sitting on the couch in the lobby at all hours of the day/night - some are gentle, while I felt that others might jump you.

Once in the elevator I felt safe for a few moments. Though I didnt have any trouble when I got to my floor, I worried from time to time that if I were to be shanked anywhere, it would be just as I was coming out of the elevator where no one would hear me scream.

My room was decent, I have to admit. I was on the fourth floor, and didnt hear any partying, though my friend on the third floor didnt get any sleep for three nights because of loud, boozing, arguing neighbours. I woke up at 4 a.m. on the first night because I thought I heard someone picking my door lock with a knife - after stumbling around for two minutes in the dark, I found out it was just a loud old water radiator bubbling away.

Though 'The Regis' is definitely wild and wooly, and probably not totally safe, it was comparable to mid-range hotels I’ve stayed at in Russia. I dont know if this is a good comparison or not...

I'm giving 'The Regis' a two-out-of-five because its right down-town, my room was clean and I felt safe once in it. However, this could have easily gone the other way if I was in a room next to partiers, or if I was stabbed by one of the three guys I saw walking around the corridors with a knife/shank.

Stayed November 2008
7 Thank gimiwan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Saskatchewan
Reviewed 29 September 2008

The only nice thing about this hotel is its location. Me and 4 friends were in Winnipeg for the Elton John Concert so I unknowingly picked The St. Regis for its location. Big Mistake!Drunk and stoned Native Americans littered the street and lobby. There was a hooker greeting us as well. The front desk guy was totally clueless. I booked 2 non-smoking rooms and they only had 1 room available at the time we checked in(6:00PM). We got to our room and one of my freinds gagged because the room stunk so bad and it was a smoking room. The place didnt look like it had had any upgrades for many, many years. The surface of everything was clean but if you looked close it was filthy. The Box springs were at least 40 years old. Stained and broken. The phone didnt work. The blankets were riddled with burn holes as well as the chairs and carpet. There was broken glass in the hallway and it was very noisy. The door looked like it had been broken into a few times. There was an Octopus of electrical cords all going into the same outlet. My friends and I were all very discusted and scared so at Midnight we got in our car and drove 3 and 1/2 hours home. Before we left I went to talk to the fella that checked us in and told him of our complaints and all I wanted was for him to refund me for 1 room. He did so that was nice of him I thought. Everything else was a nightmare.

Tamala Smithers

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The drunk and stoned people tha were all over the street and in the lobby
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank rammy8

Travellers are raving about these Winnipeg hotels

dolphin_smile
Reviewed 18 June 2008

My son and I visited Winnipeg for the first time so we never knew what we were getting ourselves into when we booked the hotel. When we arrived we couldn't get through the front door - it was being blocked by a bunch of drunks, that made me very uncomfortable, and didn't like my son seeing that either.
After we checked in - we went to our room - the hallways smelled of urine, and were very dirty.
Then when we got our room - we asked for a non-smoking, but it was very clear that it was not obeyed, the room / furniture / walls smelt very bad of smoke, the blinds were yellow.
The front desk wasn't very helpful with directions or bus services etc.
Then if you have a car - and park it in their parking lot - they will block it with other vehicles over night - so you can't get out in the morning.
If you plan on getting any sleep - forget it - there is no noise by-law in this hotel - they party all night long. We got 2 hours sleep on the last night.
There is no safe in the rooms, and on one occassion - we returned to our room, only to find the door unlocked and open. Thankfully nothing was missing as we took anything of value with us. The key cards NEVER worked - we had to go to front desk many times to get them to reactivate.
Over all - we feared for our safety everytime we left/ came in, were hassled by drunks every time (unfortunetly we stayed for 3 nights). The last night they were so drunk that they were throwing up right by the entrance.
We were made to feel very unwelcome!
I am writing this not to discriminate against anyone - but to save another family from the same experience.
This left a very bad sour taste - I honestly can say I didn't not enjoy Winnipeg - and will not be returning anytime soon.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Been hassled by drunks everytime we entered or left the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank dolphin_smile
Ontario
Reviewed 14 April 2007

As always, my stay always gets better. Being in the heart of downtown
Winnipeg, parking is not a problem at the St. Regis as parking is offered on site for a minimal daily charge. From the moment of arrival, the friendly front desk staff assure a hassle-free check-in and check-out. The rooms are equipped with large screen T.V.'s, neon lighting signs that you see in taverns, bars, etc. and the rooms are spacious and comfortable. The house keepers are at your service as is the bar tenders, and restaurant staff (all in the same hotel/
motel). In all, I frequent this establishment and have never had a bad experience. The St. Regis is located within walking distance to most amenities and there's always taxis outside the St. Regis to take you to where you have to go. The price for a night is well within reason and you can be assured top level accommodations and a "bang for your buck." I will continue to make the St. Regis the only place to stay when I travel overnight to Winnipeg.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — no problems thus far
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank roadtripsRbest
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 5 July 2004

Never heard of it before, but saw it advertised at the airport. Middle of the downtown, half a block from the new arena. Good lounge. Fine food at reasonable price. Very good value. Would return.

15 Thank NickPembina
Westcoast_Girl
Reviewed 17 May 2003

I stayed here with my boyfriend on Valentine's Day - we got a good deal online for one night's stay. The hotel is right in the heart of downtown, with Gotham's steakhouse right below. It is a heritage hotel and so it has some charm - it is also a very small hotel. However, there is no parking and we had to park (very expensively) underground at the shopping centre two blocks away.The only complaint I had was that we were situated on the second floor, above a local bar and it was SO loud until 2am. We were informed that the front desk should have advised us of this - and we ended up getting a free stay voucher which I was impressed by. For a downtown location, the St. Regis was affordable, above average in decor, and has a very nice lobby. However, beware of which floor you are placed on, and try not to drive in and park.

• Stayed February 2003