“functional”

Ranked #21 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Canada, Kentucky
“functional”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

For $99, this hotel delivered solid value on a one night stay. There is nothing stylish about this place, but it is clean, quiet and comfortable.

The internet works well, and the staff were pleasant. The 'free' breakfast offers highly processed foods with limited nutrition, but it will do for one day. The location offers excellent access to the VIA Rail station.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Alliston, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

After researching business hotels in the area of Winnipeg, Canada, I settled on The Humphry Inn and Suites due the many positive reviews posted here on Tripadvisor.
Well I was very pleasantly surprised it was very affordable, central to everywhere I needed to go and EXTREMELY clean. Cleanliness is a huge factor for me and the Humphry did not disappoint. That being said if you are looking for luxury, this may not be the place for you. I would say that it is a solid 3.5 star.
The room was spacious, the bed and furniture very clean and the bathroom quite modern and included everything I needed. If you have stayed in a Hampton Inn by Hilton this hotel is identical, even down to the breakfast in the morning. The Lobby area and hallways throughout the hotel were also well maintained and very clean. The other nice thing about this hotel was that it was very quiet. Considering it is located downtown I expected it to be the usual downtown experience but; it turned out to be extremely quiet and relaxing at night. Quiet is very important to me.
The hotel offered a very nice breakfast every morning that ran until 10am, this was very convenient and a great way to start the day. However there is not a restaurant in the hotel, which I did find odd but, considering where the hotel is located there are plenty of restaurants in the area. One thing to note; there is a Tim Horton's almost directly behind the hotel, VERY convenient ;)
This hotel also offers an indoor pool, which I did not use but according to other guests, it was very nice and very clean too.
Overall I would highly recommend this hotel for any trip whether it be business or pleasure. The hotel is central downtown and very close to the forks. They offer great business facilities including free WiFi and the staff are very friendly and accommodating. I also noticed that the management was very visible throughout my stay, even asked for my opinion on a couple of things. It was nice to see the hotel management interact with the guests, rare in most places.
I do travel often, as do my colleagues and now that we have found the Humphfry Inn, we will stay no where else. It really is a gem.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

Located just off Portage and Main this hotel was easy to find. Check in was very quick. The room was very spacious, nice size desk for working, comfy chair to watch some tv. Bed was comfortable as were the pillows. Would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Pinjarra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

Pre requisites were all met. Location, we could walk to everything we wanted to see. Quiet, clean, comfortable, spacious, wifi, laundry, a breakfast was thrown in as well. It was all we required. Found a great restaurant Peasent Cooking a few hundred metres away.

Room Tip: When we booked from Australia, we asked for a quiet room. We overlooked the car park and not the mai...
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

I stayed at the Humphry Inn with my mom for 4 nights recently. We required an accessible room for my mom and it was indeed spacious and had a huge shower and handrail next to the toilet in the bathroom. It was clean and comfortable. The air conditioner / fan was quite noisy, and as the room faced Main Street, it was too noisy to open the window. I am a light sleeper, so it made it difficult to have a peaceful sleep with the noise. The bed was really comfortable. I used the gym in the mornings, and it is equipped with several pieces of cardio equipment, a TV, air conditioner and towels. The breakfast served in the morning was buffet style, with a variety of items to choose from. Coffee and tea facilities were available 24 hours a day. Parking on site is free, and apparently there is a security guard on site from 6 pm. The hotel is situated close to The Forks and the rest of downtown Winnipeg. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful.
I thought that the hotel was good value and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back of the hotel. There are no interesting views either front or back, b...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Grand Forks, ND
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

After reading several of the reviews on Trip Advisor, I felt pretty good about choosing the Humphry Inn over the much more expensive Hotel Ft. Garry. The hotel is located in a nice area of town, and as far as I could tell, there weren't lots of people wandering around the parking area, or even on the street. If you're planning to visit The Forks, this is a doable walking distance. The breakfast is nice, and it feels about right for the price.

The rooms are nice, but I have to say not memorable. The comforter had threads coming out of it, the room was dim and a little musty, the king size bed quite firm, and I noticed several pubic hairs on the shower floor which put me off a bit. That said, these are fairly acceptable conditions for a basic, no frills hotel room. It is a little less than I expected from a hotel with such a high ranking on Trip Advisor.

The reason for my average assessment has to do mainly with the level of customer service we felt we received.

When we arrived, at 2:35, we were told the room would not be ready until 3. A little unusual as we couldn't remember a time when the check-in time was that accurate. Often you can check in 30 minutes--even an hour, sometimes--early. We were fine with it and helped ourselves to the complimentary coffee in the lobby. At three I went back to the desk and asked if we could get our key, the clerk said the room still wasn't ready and we waited almost another 15 minutes before we could check-in.

I work in customer service, and if I knew a client was there, waiting for a room, I would be calling the person in charge of cleaning the room and making sure it was moved to the front of the line. But that's me. I sincerely feel this obligation to the customer.

Adding to the feeling that we were not a priority was the fact that the clerk never seemed to smile, or greet us. There was never the exculpatory "I'm sorry--it'll be a few minutes more." We didn't want our money back or anything--we just didn't want to feel like we were bothering her. Incidentally, when we turned in our key the next morning, it was the same thing, no smile, no "good morning," she just silently took the key.

I'm not being over-sensitive; good customer service matters. In our case, it's the reason we won't be back to the Humphry Inn.

Room Tip: Ours had a jetted tub, which was very nice. I would recommend if you're going to stay here, get...
Regina, SK, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

We were in Winnipeg to attend a concert at the Pantages Theatre and were very pleased with the accommodation. Within walking distance of the theatre and many restaurants, close to downtown and the Forks. This was a great location with a clean, comfortable and quiet room. we had a late dinner after the show and got up too late to try the breakfast, so I can't pass judgement on that. We would stay there again as the price was very reasonable for an Inn of this quality. We were able to get a great rate with the weekend concert special.