“Definitely not worth it!”

Winnipeg Thriftlodge
Ranked #61 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Manitoba
“Definitely not worth it!”
Reviewed 6 August 2009

Stayed here with my boyfriend and a couple friends. Hotel looks run down and in a shady part of town, shady looking people hanging around, coming and going and being noisy in their rooms and hallways. Front desk extremely cluttered and unorganized, front desk staff looked like he didn't know what he was doing, took a very long time to check us in. Also, left us standing at the desk when we wanted to get into the pool later on, he walked away from the counter to go help someone else who arrived after us. Not impressed with the $50 damage deposit needed, no sign or anything posted to tell guests they are forced to pay this. Bed was VERY uncomfortable. I could have had a better sleep on the floor. Shower was a mix between very hot and very cold, rooms smelled stale, looked dingy, some hair in the bathroom on the counter. Pool however is surprisingly nice. Money spent on the pool should have been spent on the rooms, you come to a hotel mainly to sleep and shower, too bad we could not enjoy those things. Friends joked that we could have had a better night at home sleeping on plywood and flushing the toilet as we showered. Would have been cheaper too. Next time I will absolutely pay the extra little bit of money and stay in a Holiday Inn or someplace nice and comfortable and relaxing.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Brandon, Manitoba
Reviewed 29 February 2008

My husband and I booked a room in this hotel for one night in the summer. First of all, when we had to put down a $15 deposit just to use the TVs remote control, it completely put me off! Everything else seemed okay, but the next morning the hot water wouldn't work! We called the front desk and all they said was that they were working on it. Well, by checkout time it hadn't been fixed and therefore I had NOT gotten a shower. I was very upset with them and expressed my frustration, but they wouldn't give us any sort of a discount. So, the room may be inexpensive, but it was not worth it to not even be able to use all the basic amenities that we paid for. I will NEVER stay here again for fear of not having a shower in the morning.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — no hot water!
  • Stayed August 2004, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Winnipeg hotels

Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed 27 February 2008

This hotel is shabby and definitiely has a lot of rough people around. My buddy and I have stayed here many times when we want to party. It is cheap and the private entrances on the ground floor make it easy to come and go. The deposit for the keycard and remotes is a little irritating but you do get it back. The front desk staff is a little rude and not always sure of what they are doing. One of managers named BJ is mostly rude but on one of my stays was pleasant with me. The hotel is in the middle of constructing a pool and waterslide and I can hardly wait to stay there and check that out. Good value for the money but I am sure the rates will be going up when the pool is built.

• Liked — price and location
  • Disliked — the hotel attracts a lot of scum to the bar
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
thunder bay
Reviewed 25 February 2008

upon arriving at the hotel..(approx. 12:30am..we had driven 8 hours straight)... there were between 10-20 people standing around the hotel entrance smoking...we walked in and there were more ppl inside "hanging around"...i walked up to the front desk and one of the ppl in the lobby hanging around walked behind the counter and asked if we could be helped...i informed him of my reservation to which i then learned that the online reservation system hadnt worked in quite a while....(my guess is that he didnt know how to use a computer..he was too busy smoking crack)...he looked a bit dazed and wasent sure what to do then...i looked over at my 2 friends and we both agreed that we should just leave .. we thanked the person and left....

• Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 January 2006

Overall, the staff was rude and the room was icky. The bedding was thin, the room was freezing, and there were cigarette burns in the carpet. My fiance and I booked the room for 3 nights through Orbitz at a very low rate. We checked in on friday and on sunday the front desk called our room and said "so are you leaving or what?" Since we still had 1 night left we went down to the front desk to speak in person about the problem. She was very rude right away and said that they only recieved money for 2 nights, not three. We asked to see the reciept and right on there it said 3 nights! But it was crossed out and she wrote in 2. She said she wasn't going to call orbitz because she'd have to wait for an hour on hold. We found the number for orbitz and we got through right away, they were very helpful, but unfortunately thriftlodge wouldn't cooperate and wanted to charge us again for another night. We decided to leave, and orbitz is refunding our money for the last night.

• Stayed January 2006
7 Thank TravelingRam
Edmonton Alberta
Reviewed 2 October 2005

This hotel is located near the airport in an industrial area (as are the other "name" hotels near the airport) - but at $40.00 per night, the cost was truly a bargain! This is a renovated motor hotel, concrete construction with on-site restaurant and lounge.

I stayed here for 13 nights. The problems with this facility occur on Friday and Saturday nights when the locals rent the rooms to party in. One would think that the hotel security would patrol at least once an hour to quickly quell the noise, but ...

However, after a couple of calls to complain, the noise was silenced. There were no problems at all on other nights.

The rooms were clean, the beds comfortable and the weekday desk staff was friendly and competent.

Sunday morning, at check-out, the front desk person was a complete idiot; very rude and appeared shocked that someone would actually need his services!

Would I stay here again! Definitely! Just not on Friday or Saturday nights!

• Stayed September 2005, travelled on business
5 Thank BG M
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 September 2005

I made this reservation online, and it says on the orbitz website that the amount is not taken off of your credit card, so my mother put it on her card and we were all going to pay her cash upon arrival. When we got there, the desk attendant was extremely rude. She told us that our card was already charged and there was nothing she could do to take it off. We were a little frustrated, but let it go. She was also very snotty explaining we had to put 30.00$ down on every key to the room. The rooms we stayed in smelled horrible--and after having a night out with my mother, sister, and a few friends, we were walking back to our room without saying anything and the old lady at the desk says "quiet!!" very threateningly to my mother--who is 40 years old might I add, as if we were in grade school. THey called us several times throughout the night saying they would call the police if we didn't go to bed--even though it was the rooms across the hall that were being loud. We got the heck out of there in the morning, and months later, some strange lady claiming to be from the hotel calls me and says that I need to pay for my hotel rooms. I told her about the credit card situation, and she was very rude saying that the desk attendent made a mistake and didn't know that the card wasn't charged. I told her I would not pay for them--it was their responsibility and their mistake. She called me about a dozen other times, leaving messages, and threatening me and being very unprofessional. I'd stay away from this motel if I were you.

• Stayed August 2004