“No More Crusty Buns”

Cuisines: German
Description: Bakery
Description: Bakery
Reviewed April 4, 2018

I ordered pastries, soup and picked up a couple of packages of raisin buns.
While I was waiting for the employee to package it, the other employee was standing there and she used her finger to pick up a seed from the cutting board that had a loaf of bread and knife on it. She put it in her mouth and then used her saliva on her finger to pick up more seeds. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing, The bread on the board was there for future customers and now had this employee’s saliva on it which not only is unsanitary but also she appeared to have a cold. She did this several times and then looked at me and proceeded to do it again. She saw nothing wrong with what she did or else she would have stopped when she did it again .
I called the manager right away on my way home and she didn’t even apologize. She just said she would talk to her staff and it wasn’t right. She was super casual about it attitude made me wonder how strict this place is with health codes.
The only reason I gave them 2 stars is there food is delicious. However I will not be returning there due to this incident and how it was handled by their manager.

6  Thank dianegf2018

Reviewed March 24, 2018

The price of hamburger and hotdog buns is nuts. That’s ok, except they were dried out. Over $40 for two dozen dry buns....not good.

1  Thank ajredhot
Reviewed February 17, 2018 via mobile

We finally had the opportunity to check out The Crusty Bun for lunch. We were not disappointed. The sandwiches were absolutely delicious! Simple but so tasty! We also had cream of mushroom soup. Flavourful and perfect. The place was bustling. I can see why. We will be back!

Reviewed February 8, 2018

Whenever we visit Winnipeg we stop at the Crusty Bun! The same applies when we leave, we always stop on the way home to fill up bags and boxes of their delicious buns , bread and pastries. The crusty buns, pretzels, pumpkin seed bread and buns are superb! Even though their selection of pastries are not huge compared to European standards, what they have is outstanding! Bienenstich, cream buns etc. are all authentic and so, so good! Lunches are simple, delicious soups and sandwiches, efficient service and great quality make this one of the best bakeries in Canada.

Reviewed January 28, 2018

This German bakery is always packed at lunchtime. They offer many breads, pretzels, sandwiches, desserts and two daily soups. You can phone in an order and have the bread waiting for you when you arrive. They're only open until about 5 pm at the St. Mary's location on weekdays and are closed on Sundays.

The German breakfast (coffee, two crusty buns with jam and butter, cheese and ham) is my mother's favourite and I get the crusty or seed bun sandwich. They will make a vegetarian version and I'm happy that they've been offered to add an extra piece of cheese to replace the meat since they're the same price. The sandwich is a bit light but you can also add the soup to it. The pretzels are quite tasty as well. I've tried a few of the desserts but none really stood out to me.

I had a negative experience with the vegetarian soup when I found meat in it. When I brought it up to the staff, I had to talk to a couple different staff members who first denied it, then checked with the kitchen and offered me another bowl of soup, which considering the first had meat in it and it all came from the same pot, I wasn't too keen on. I thought they could have handled the situation better, but I still enjoy the other food.