All reviews steam shower pool table india room surround sound romantic getaway exchange district stereo system pinball machines baby grand piano moroccan room infrared sauna private balcony cheesecake room was beautifully decorated amazing room mini vacation wedding night
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We celebrated our 20th anniversary here and it was fantastic! The building has been lovingly updated in a historic downtown neighborhood, and is amazingly peaceful. The staff was helpful and always available, but seem to disappear when they are no longer required. The owners of this place must have an incredibly creative imagination to be able to put these theme rooms together. We stayed in the Rome suite, and can't wait to go back and experience some of the other "destinations".

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Darrell R
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We went there for our anniversary and stayed in the India suite...they went above and beyond to make our stay as romantic as possible. Excellent service. The room was luxurious and comfortable. We'll definitely go back!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shauna S
Reviewed August 8, 2011

This hotel and building has tons of history in Winnipeg over the past 100 years, and it is so cool to walk up the stairs and through the halls see photos of the old rooms, grotto, dining areas, etc. Now it is a family operation and the staff at Mariaggi's has made every celebration extra special to me and my girlfriend at the time - with themes suites meticulously decorated from all over the world.

My latest visit was to the Rome theme suite, which I remember was a room I always wanted to experience from 20 years ago when it was one of two original rooms available. Upon entering Rome, everything was spotless, with plenty of towels, dinner settings and cande light all ready for a fantastic evening including a classic CD of Dean Martin Italian love songs playing. When the moon hits your eye like a big Pizza Pie, that's AMORE!

WOW! What a reaction from my girlfriend, who has never experienced anything like it in her life! The dinner of Salmon and Pasta that we chose was fantastic - even the potatoes were amazing making them as good as the main course! The extended checkout till 1pm was great, and other services were offered as optional upgrades.

The rooms are freshly re-decorated since my last recollection making them clean and modern. The only remenant that should be replaced is the old style projection TV with newer high def models - but the TV worked and the surround sound audio sounded fantastic as we enjoyed both recordings we brought with us, and those available in the hallway library.

The service through 20 years and 5 visits was so immpecable and friendly that I can't wait for my next opportunity to return again!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BazWinnipeg
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We'd originally booked the Mexican room but due to an unusual odor that was coming from a recent repair job, they upgraded us for the night to the Indian suite complete with pool table, 60" tv, waterfall and king sized bed. This was a *HUGE* room and far superior to the tiny Mexican room we'd originally booked. The next night, we stayed in the Mexican room, which was a let-down compared to the Indian room. In the Mexican room, the plumbing to fill the jacuzzi tub runs across the floor so they covered it in a brick ledge about 6-8" high, running the width of the room so we had to leave some lights on because it *really* hurts stubbing your toe against the brick wall if you need to pee at night. Also, my husband discovered some sketchy wiring of the lights and redid the wiring of the entertainment systems in both rooms to get stereo surround sound (it was just coming out of the tv before he "adjusted" everything).
The rooms were nice and the staff is very friendly, but because the hotel is located downtown, it's very noisy. VERY NOISY! The street in front of the hotel is used by the neighbouring fire hall to get to ALL fires in the downtown and North End and the surrounding high rises act to amplify the sirens so we were awakened almost every hour with a screaming fire truck. Also, we stayed at the Mariaggi during JazzFest with the free concerts at Old Market Square, 1 block in the other direction, so that was also very noisy until 2am each night. It's not the hotel's fault, but it's something to be aware of that downtown Winnipeg often has free weekend concerts that might keep you awake. We were lucky we didn't stay the following weekend because that was the electronic music festival weekend.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ejmck
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We went here for our wedding aniversery.
At first I was annoyed that there was no parking but the staff directed me to a parkaid
on albert street which is about half ablock from the hotel and cheap. We were there from friday to sunday and it was only $16 for sheltered parking.
At first sight it looks like a office until you get to your room. The room was nice more like a pimped out bed room then a hotel felt more like home then a hotel.
I never sleep well at a hotel do to crappy beds and blankets but this was differnt very very nice beds and blankets so nice we slept in whcih being parents of 4 we never do.
Don the owner of the place very nice guy he gave us free candles and when we asked to rent some movies he gave us all the movies we wanted for free to.
The lady in the morning at the desk very friendly and will direct you were to go for breakfast and give you info of where to check out that's all in walking distance of the hotel.
Right beside the Hotel is the News Cafe pritty good price and portions for you to hit up for breakfast (they will tell you about it).
I would like to send my parent here for a present if it's in the budget for next year and go again our selves.
James and shannon.