“Christmas in Style”

Ranked #67 of 1,833 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Price range: US$3 - US$35
Cuisines: Canadian, Fusion
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Credited with serving the best food and dining experience in Winnipeg featuring a "new prairie cuisine." Fresh fish is served the same day it is caught. 100% grass-fed beef, bison and elk are sourced from reputable local producers. Organic wild rice, produce and pulses are carefully prepared to create wholesome vegan options. Foragers comb the Manitoba wildlands to provide us with morel mushrooms, fiddleheads, chanterelles, berries and more from the Boreal forest. Chef Lorna Murdoch creates a stunning array of creative shared plates and entrees. You are going to love your food and service at fusion grill. The all-Canadian, Cuvee Award winning, wine list includes rare and highly prized labels with over 30 wines by the glass. Waiter/owner, Scot McTaggart has an intimate & extensive knowledge of the B.C. & Ontario wine regions. The bar also features unique culinary cocktails with all your favorite international spirits and an always fresh selection of local craft beer. Guests are guided by friendly, knowledgeable service people in a 41 seat dining room set with white linens, Riedel crystal and a gallery of paintings by local artist, Kirstin Britt-Hansen.
Reviewed January 3, 2017

Scott and group made our Holiday function unforgettable...from amazing variety of appetizers hand selected ....to entrees that each attendee thought most appetizing...to a decadent dessert send off...absolutely perfect.

Not to mention the extraordinary wine selection

This team really made my planning easy and made be look like the perfect Holiday Host
Thanks

Date of visit: December 2016
Scot M, Owner at fusion grill, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2017

Thanks so much for celebrating with us, ramseyl777. We're quite pleased your Holiday function was such a memorable experience! I appreciate you taking the time to tell us all about it and have shared your accolades with Chef and the rest of the Team. Hope you have a happy and healthy 2017! See you soon.

Reviewed January 1, 2017

It's also about great service, and a welcoming atmosphere that makes spending some serious cash on the good food worth it. We had been to Fusion Grill once before. 10 years ago in 2007, when we first moved to Winnipeg. We had the Bison Tenderloin and it was delicious! Why did it take a decade for us to return? The small, cramped room that looked more like a greasy spoon diner spruced up in the early 90's coupled with less than invested servers who did not seem at all happy. Flash forward to New Years Eve 2016: We recently moved to the area and were within walking distance to the restaurant. Not one for going out on New Years Eve, we thought this would be nice for the kids and we could still get home to put our pj's on and watch the ball drop on Times Square. Upon arrival, we were utterly shocked that the decor had not been changed at all in 10 years. The dingy flooring, the "almost" vintage heavy chrome metal diner chairs, and wobbly tables.... all the same. The painted over panelling and tin wine rack "gracing" the back wall: all the same. The room was depressing. The servers were depressing. The few scattered Holiday decorations reminded us of what one digs out of great, great aunt Sarah's basement and the kids tossed on a chair and draped over the radiator. No special New Years Eve decoration/flowers/ or at least a New Years Chocolate on the table.... Nothing special for this special night out. But... when the food finally arrived....a long wait: IT WAS DELICIOUS. FLAWLESS. I had the Paella. My son and daughter had the Arctic Char and the Beef. But there was something wrong with the place. The people. Sadness? Drabness? Certainly there was no apathy in the kitchen. But the dining room reeked of it. We could not get our heads around it. The owner/chef brought 2 of our dishes to the table. He did not greet us warmly or say "Happy New Year"! or make the 30 second idle yet important banter that a man in his position is expected to do with patrons. The place is tiny and it was only half full on New Years Eve.... really? Then he sat at the table next to us with folks who looked like regulars and proceeded to speak about how tough the business is and that the Jets game was interfering with business. No.... It was not the Jets. It is not the food. It is the lack of care, attention and LOVE of your restaurant , it's patrons and the business itself that is the reason. When one has the courage to charge $43.00 for a strip loin, no matter how tasty, he has to put a little elbow grease, time, and money into decor and hiring/paying servers who can add a shred of hipster/ or at least positivity to the place. My advice: take a look at the vintage decor in the basement washroom and waiting room and build from there: Take a sledge hammer to the dining room and start over. Use downstairs as a palette and get creative.( It won't cost much.) Change EVERYTHING upstairs, except the chef! Hire a True North hipster (Winnipeg has hundreds of them) from the set dec department of the local film industry and redecorate. Hire her friends to be servers and use their playlists. I would love to come back and eat this expensive but delicious food, but won't until I walk by and see that the creativity and care in the kitchen, moves outward and has overhauled the dining environment and experience.

Date of visit: December 2016
1  Thank Scoopa16
Scot M, Owner at fusion grill, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2017

I appreciate your candid feedback. And while I'm quite glad you enjoyed your meal (compliments to the chef), I must say this kind of feedback is highly unusual for us. We feel lucky to still be going strong here in the neighbourhood and we have many guests who enjoy our ambiance! Nevertheless, I do apologize if we fell short on the NYE festivities or decor. As you said, you've enjoyed us in the past so I hope that you'll consider giving us another chance to show you our best. Hope you have a happy and healthy 2017.

Regards,

Reviewed November 1, 2016

We had one free nite in Winnipeg and wanted to experience Winnipeg food. Based on a recommendation and an add we selected fusion grille.
WE knew we made the right choice from the moment we entered and were warmly greeted to the final chocolate truffles.
The quality of ingredients used in all dishes was highlighted by the skilled used of herbs and spices. Significantly, Although many restaurants rely on salt to enhance their food, fusion grill relies on the actual ingredients. As a result the flavors comes through clear and deliciously.
The wine list is all Canadian. We enjoyed trying several.
Service was excellent, yet not intrusive.
Our only regret is we are not close enough to eat there again in there near future.

Date of visit: November 2016
Scot M, Owner at fusion grill, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2016

Wow, thank you so much for such a warm and thorough review! From the wine list to the truffles, I'm absolutely thrilled you enjoyed our service, ambiance and flavours. I appreciate you taking the time to post a review - your support is so appreciated! I do hope you'll have the opportunity to come visit us again the next time you're in Winnipeg.

Reviewed October 28, 2016

We arrived expecting something wonderful and we weren’t disappointed. We arrived without reservations and yet were warmly greeted and seated.

The menu looked interesting and appetizing.

Fluids were efficiently topped off and food was wonderful.

We’d go back in a flash, if only we lived closer.

Thanks for a great experience for a couple hungry tourists.

Date of visit: October 2016
Scot M, Owner at fusion grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2016

I'm so happy to hear this, Claudia! I'm thrilled your first visit with us was a success. I appreciate you taking the time to come and see us and we'd love to have you again the next time you're in Winnipeg.

Reviewed October 9, 2016

I can't say enough about this fabulous restaurant. The food is seriously the best I've had in Winnipeg. The service was fabulous and Scot was so understanding and accommodating when I called twice to delay our reservations due to traffic conditions. The coffee was so good I had 4 cups! And the friend I was with thought the house Red was superb!

The white truffle perogies with duck sausage & walnut cream sauce appetizer for $11.95 was scrumptious. I had the chicken piccata with autumn squash gnocchi, white wine, capers, butter, garlic & herbs for $26.95 was worth every penny and my friend had the grass fed beef. We were both immensely impressed with our meals and we definitely plan on returning!

Date of visit: October 2016
Scot M, Owner at fusion grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2016

The pleasure was all ours, Marianne! We certainly know that plans have a way of changing so it was no trouble at all to accommodate your reservation. More importantly, I'm thrilled you and your friend enjoyed your meal with us! Sounds like everything from the perogies to the piccata was a hit! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review - we appreciate your support!

Looking forward to your return,