“Still the same after 42 years”

Velvet Glove Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Velvet Glove Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 1,733 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown Winnipeg
Cross street: Portage Avenue and Main Street
Transit: Located at the heart of the city, Portage and Main, most thoroughfare routes come within one city block of The Velvet Glove. Also, for your convenience, there is a Winnipeg Transit bus stop directly in-front of the hotel.
Reviewed April 30, 2018

Four of went for the prix fixe menu dinner for my daughter's birthday. It was a return visit for us as we had been there in 1976 on our wedding day. Yes we waited quite a while to return (because it was not a very successful dinner).
We have no complaints about the evening. The food was good, service was attentive and portions were large. It's not an inexpensive place with wine at $55 a bottle, and meals at $50 even with the groupon. It just seemed like it was still stuck in the 80's. I mean who serves short ribs at a so called "gourmet restaurant"? The chicken was good but nothing really special for a "honey glazed" chicken. The beet salad was very nice and more modern with blueberry dressing and fruit slices. Again the pear dessert was very tasty but I felt I was having a meal at an Earls not an upscale restaurant.
Overall, we had no complaints and the valet parking for free was a nice touch.

Kyla S, Guest Relations Manager at Velvet Glove Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2018

Thank you not only for choosing to celebrate such a special occasion with us, but for taking the time to leave your review. It is always such a delight to hear from our guests.

I will be sure to share your comments with our entire team as they will surely serve as an encouragement as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services and offerings.

We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back again, though we hope you don't wait another 40 years before your return!

Kyla Stewart
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed April 15, 2018

I was taken to the Velvet Glove Restaurant for my Birthday on April 14, 2018. Wow, what a wonderful meal. Not too busy and I can not understand why. The food was superb. I would like to try their lunch. The Chef out did himself on everything. Carly directed us to our table and I could not have met anyone nicer, sweet, courteous and so so respectful. She was awesome and so was our waitress . Their PR made my evening even better. Yes, I would go there again. If you go in the evening and park in the Richardson parkade it is only $5.00 for the evening. Thank you Red Velvet Restaurant for a wonderful Birthday dinner.

Kyla S, Guest Relations Manager at Velvet Glove Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2018

Thank you not only for choosing to celebrate with us, but for taking the time to let others know about your experience! We are indeed very fortunate to have such exceptional and talented ambassadors on our team, and I am delighted you were able to experience their signature service and the culinary teams delicious offerings first hand.

We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back again soon for lunch, and for many celebratory evenings to come!

Kyla Stewart
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed March 4, 2018 via mobile

This was probably my 5th dinner date out to VG and it was as good as ever if not better. CAB short rib on braised red cabbage, fried polenta and salmon on lemon & herb Israeli couscous were phenomenal. Salads were delicious, and he deserts where amazing. You never leave anything short of stuffed. Our waitress was fabulous, we were taken very good care of. This is one of Winnipeg’s hidden gems and you without a doubt have to check it out. The food, atmosphere, ambiance... 5 Star.

Drew F, General Manager at Velvet Glove Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave your glowing review.

We are indeed very fortunate to have such an amazing team of passionate ambassadors on our team who delight in providing our guests with the highest level of service and most delectable culinary creations, and we are pleased that you were able to experience both on this last visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back for many date nights to come!

Reviewed January 27, 2018 via mobile

Had a great dinner tonight. Staff was excellent, food was phenomenal. Atmosphere is very relaxing and quiet. My tenderloin was cooked to perfection

Drew F, General Manager at Velvet Glove Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to let others know about your experience. It is always a delight to hear from a satiated guest! We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back for many meals to come.

Reviewed December 28, 2017 via mobile

For some reason I was not expecting fine dining, but was pleasantly surprised with a mushroom soup that was packed full of a variety of mushrooms in a tasty chowder. I felt bad about not finishing it, but there was a butter chicken to follow, which was also very good.

1  Thank Don R
Drew F, General Manager at Velvet Glove Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. It is always a pleasure when we are able to exceed our guests expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back for many meals to come.