“Unbelievable food and service.”

Caribbean Flavas Restaurant & Catering
Ranked #9 of 230 Restaurants in Fredericton
Price range: US$3 - US$21
Cuisines: Caribbean, French, Indian, Fusion
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 12 February 2012

This was the first time that I had been to Caribbean Flavas. My girlfriend suggested it after she saw their presentation at the school where she presently interns.

When we walked in the door we were greeted right away and had our coats taken and seated. The resturant wasnt very busy but we were there for a late dinner. Our server was very good and very friendly. If you have ever been down south the atmosphere was bang on what I was expecting and looking forward to.

We started off with an order of Tobago Cornmeal Shrimp. It wasn't a large appetizer but the flavor was incredible. After our appetizer we were served an order of hot coconut bread, this is a must try. It is hard to describe I have never had bread quite like it before.

For our meals, I had the Blackened Cajun Tenderlion Steak and my girlfriend had the Carnival Curry Flavas. Both meals were cooked at medium spice (which was spicey but we both enjoy spicey food). My steak was cooked to perfection just the perfect amount of spice and flavor. Along with my steak came a salad and Tandori Onion Rings. The salad was good it had a sweet vinigrette dressing which added an unexpected but delicious flavor. And I can't forget about the onion rings cause they were delicious by far the best onion rings that I have ever had. They weren't greasy, they were crispy and had lots and lots of flavor. My girlfriends Carnival Curry Flava was chicken with fresh vegetables sauteed in a coconut cashew curry. She also had the coconut rice with her meal. Her meal was also fanastic (I had my fair share) the rice was very different (kinda like the bread) but in a very good way. Had lots of flavor and it went very well with the coconut cashew curry and the chicken and vegetables.

The portions were a perfect size. My girlfriend even had a little left over for the next day.

We finished off the meal with a double chocolate cheescake. It was a very simple dessert but it tasted very good. It was a great way to finish off the meal.

My personal favorite part of the meal (besides the great food) was when the cook (Naz the owner) came out and talked to us for a good 20 or so mins. We talked alittle about his resturant and his "Shout Outs" that he has gotten over the years. In particular I wanted to hear the Justin Bieber "Shout Out" story. Only because it was the only name that kinda seemed out of place on the whole list. I just enjoyed the fact that he took the time to come and say hi and spend some time at our table. It was that personal touch that in my mind makes this resturant stand out above any other resturant that I have been to in Fredericton.

I can't wait till I am back in Fredericton so that we can go to dinner here again. I would recommend this resturant to everyone if you haven't tried it you really need to go today and have a great dinner.

1  Thank KyleGailey

Reviewed 3 February 2012

Having read the previous reviews of this well known Fredericton restaurant, I had high expectations of Caribbean Flavas, and didn't hesitate to recommend it for an evening meal out with friends.

On arrival at the restaurant we found it to be empty. And by 'empty' we mean totally devoid of other guests. This really wasn't the fault of the restaurant staff, as it appears that the folks in Fredericton either eat lunch out, or very early supper. Fredericton is very much a 'government town', so that may account for the supper time being at around half four in the afternoon when all the government workers knock off for the day. This really didn't help the atmosphere in the evening, although it lent itself towards us being able to choose whichever table we wanted.

Nonetheless, we were greeted warmly by the staff and promptly shown to our choice of table to peruse the menu. It took quite a while for the waiter to appear, asking if we'd like to choose a drink, which although non-alcoholic were very nice. The mango smoothies were just that - blended mangos, and very fresh and tasty.

We all chose a different main courses, which were freshly prepared by the owner, Naz Ali in the kitchen close to the table. They were all steaming hot, and well presented, and we all enjoyed our food, especially the lamb curry and the jerk chicken. Naz took the trouble to leave the kitchen and come and chat to us after we had eaten. It is plainly obvious that he and his staff (likely family) are very proud of their food, and of the restaurant itself, and this was reflected in the level of knowledge about the ingredients that they displayed, and the obvious passion they have for good food.

One thing worth mentioning was their comparison between Caribbean and Indian food. They pointed out that the food they cooked, although similar in nature to Indian food (spicy curries, for instance), was not as heavy on the stomach, or likely to have a flavour that lingered as much. Having extensively eaten Indian food on previous occasions, we all had to agree. In this respect the Caribbean Flava's food is very much like Thai food.

We finished off the meal with what was promoted as 'the best coffee in the world' - Blue Mountain Coffee from Jamaica. To be perfectly honest, we all thought it was terrifically weak, even by Canadian standards, and definitely NOT worth the $6 a cup we paid for it. Naz' explained that the supposed 'weakness' of the coffee was a feature of Blue Mountain coffee, which is apparently famed for it's mildness. We all viewed that claim as deserving a large 'pinch of salt'!

At the end of the evening we paid about $85 per couple, which was on the very steep side of expensive as far as local prices go, especially for the range of food we had.

The strong sides of this restaurant are:

Very warm and likeable staff, who are proud of their establishment, and obviously take pride in their service and product.

Well prepared, interesting, and tasty food, served piping hot.

This is a very clean and tidy restaurant. No cleanliness worries here.

The downsides?

Lack of evening atmosphere - not the fault of the restaurant - who stayed open late for us.

The extravagant claims for weak coffee.

The high cost of the food.

Would we eat at Caribbean Flavas again? Yes we would. The upside of the food outweighed the downsides, although we'd think twice about 'springing' for the cost of a meal there.

2  Thank JonFJ
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I enjoyed my visit when I was there, but they don't serve wine so kinda like my wine with dinner.

1  Thank herbmom
Reviewed 28 January 2012

My wife and I enjoyed the food & atmosphere here one night in Jan 2012. Meal was well prepared and waiter/chef welcomed us with a refreshingly enthusiastic banter. Samosas were underwhelming but the mains were great. Onion rings are very nice, and the steak was delicious once we received an adequately rare one. Owner offered to fire the cook after the first one was seriously overcooked, but we didn't consider that to be necessary. Salad accompanying the steak was somewhat uninspired (iceberg lettuce) but really, what else are you going to hope for in January in Fredericton?

Hot lamb curry was fab, but would have been nicer if the accompanying roti was whole and not semi-saturated the curry sauce already. It was cut into thin strips that made it difficult to effectively wrap around the delicious curry. The front of the menu contains a list of accolades from famous patrons as long as your arm, so they are obviously doing something right.

My biggest qualm: Where's the goat? Where's the Oxtail? Otherwise, the menu is nicely varied without being overwhelming. Prices were on the high end; $75 for two mains, two drinks and a single, shared appetizer. In future, would skip the samosas and opt for the onion ring app instead. Coffee (Blue Mountain coffee from Jamaica) was quite good. Home made ice cream (gratis, on account of the steak error) was quite superb, with nice chunks of mango in it. Mango smoothie could have been smoother - the straw repeatedly clogged up with chunks of ice whilst sipping at it.

We were also saved from a nasty snowstorm by following the hosts' advice to soldier on to Nova Scotia instead of being trapped in the NB, so that was good.

Reviewed 28 January 2012

Above and beyond anything else, the host and servers here make the experience. The location is beautiful, the coffee (Blue Mountain straight from Jamaica!) is absolutely delicious, and the food impressive.

I will recommend that you avoid ordering the steak unless you like your meat well done. I ordered medium-rare and received a very well done steak, but the staff was happy to return my plate and re-do my order. It was perfect the second time around and absolutely delicious.

Most importantly, our delightful conversation with the staff gave us the chance to catch up on the local goings-on and to discover that we should keep driving instead of bedding down for the night, if we wanted to avoid being snowed in! Thanks again guys, we will definitely be back.

1  Thank BexvanKoot