“Ugh”

Saint John Ale House
Reserve with OpenTable
Saint John Ale House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 247 Restaurants in Saint John
Price range: US$12 - US$23
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Union street,City Rd onto Smythe St
Transit: Situated directly on the Saint John waterfront,we are perfectly situated for all types of travel, including the Saint John Transit. There is a taxi stand in front of the Hilton Hotel. We are connected via indoor pedway to Market Square retail,business complex and Harbour station.
Description: We are a progressive pub with loads of local craft beers on tap and in the bottle. We have great Chef Jesse Vergen that seeks out the very best of local ingredients to present an ever evolving menu. We are cutting edge, fun and entertaining...seek a reservation online or give us a shout. We sit on the waterfront in Saint John with great entertainment and a big patio for fun all summer long!
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I went to this restaurant after being in Saint John for a tournament, and as usual when we all go away we look for very nice places to eat. We heard great things about this restaurant so we went. First of all, the menu prices were outragious for "pub" food, but I don't mind paying higher if the food is not something I can cook at home for myself better or without a big effort. I ordered fish and chips, it was ok - but not 15$ worth + 4$ extra to add cheese and bacon on my kettle chips. I hate when restaurants nickel and dime you to death and this was one of those places. My friend ordered the trio of scallops, and had chowder as her side. She asked if she could get a roll or bread or something, and the waitress said "sure for a small charge" 2$ later and 2 slices of white sandwich bread she had her starch..Other friend, asked for an extra butter for her potato and they came with 2 packs of butter and was charged 4$!! This is nuts. Because noone told her that she would be charged for her butter, they took it off after some complaining by her. I'd never go back there again - so many other places to eat with greater quality food and service, and who don't charge you for bread when you're already spending 27$ just for your entree..

4  Thank Trish F

Reviewed 9 March 2012

Usually have a problem with surly wait staff, forgotten utensils, staff having loud arguments behind thin divider etc. Very hit and miss, but the chef seems nice. people rave about this place, I have never been able to understand why..

5  Thank HankNB
Reviewed 7 March 2012

poor service and for the price you paid for you didn't get much for food

1  Thank Curtass
Reviewed 6 March 2012

This is the casual restaurant I always bring people from out of town to. If they have offered to spring I know the pricing is not outrageous and food has twists on the classics that really bring the food to a new level instead of being twists for the sake of being twisty. If you know what I mean.
Lots of menu options that even picky kids can find something. The staff are great.
Always a great experience.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Great atmosphere, good service, and an average meal. Not disappointing at all, just as expected from any pub.