“Exceeded Expectations”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Portions were large. Staff very friendly. Excellent value for quality food. Will definitely return.

2  Thank fllshipcruiser

Reviewed 30 December 2011

Excellent food and nice atmosphere at the top of the historic city market. Good place to take local visitors to experience our regional cuisine, fresh seafood and locally produced Moosehead Beer. Highly recommended.

2  Thank CTourist
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Service was okay, not professional but friendly. Food was mediocre for the price, scallops were expensive for only 6 small ones with a big load of not so yummy fries. Desserts were tasty though.

Reviewed 4 November 2011

I really craved lobster and said to bring me the biggest one they had, so I got 1.5lb lobster. My partner had seafood chowder which was mediocre; they were out of lobster bisque. The service was slow even though it wasn't crowded in the middle of the afternoon. Our lunch and 2 beers, no dessert, was $75...way overpriced for what we got. The lobster was very good though.

Reviewed 10 October 2011

Billy's very disappointing food wasn't the low point of our visit.

My very bland clam chowder prepared me for crab cakes that tasted mostly like their breading instead of crab. Meanwhile, my wife's fish entree was burned on the bottom. When we were finally able to get someone's attention, she was offered a replacement. Of course, by this time, it was way too late. There are other ways to compensate, here -- a complimentary dessert, for example -- but not waiting around another 20 minutes after you've already finished dinner.

But the last straw was the bill. A bit of explanation is necessary, here. Most stores and restaurants in downtown Saint John readily accept American cash and give American change because there is so much business to be had from the numerous cruise ships that dock in the nearby harbor. Passengers don't want to be bothered with changing currencies. The night we were at Billy's, the American dollar was worth a few cents more than its Canadian counterpart. When our bill came, however, along with the total was another figure for those paying in American dollars. It was nine per-cent higher. I questioned the waitress about the disparity. She explained that earlier in the year, the Canadian dollar was more valuable, so management started adding this surcharge and never bothered to change it once the valuation changed. I can't imagine how many people actually paid this without realizing that they were being shamelessly ripped off. I would advise Americans to bring Canadian money to Billy's if I could actually advise anyone to go to Billy's.

2  Thank johnmcq