“Comfortable and Clean”

Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in St. John's
Levittown PA USA
“Comfortable and Clean”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I have stayed here numerous times, most recently two visits last month arriving and leaving St. John's. While the building itself is old, it is very well maintained. Rooms as well as the public areas are spotlessly clean. I'm always impressed by how quiet the hotel is as it's rare to hear any noise from adjoining rooms or from the corridor.
The complimentary continental breakfast is basic but adequate for a quick bite - yogurt, bagels, muffins, etc.
The front desk staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful. On the morning of my departure I awoke to learn that my flight to the US had been cancelled. The staff went out of their way to ensure that I would have a room for that night if needed. As it turned out the flight was reinstated and left much later that day. However, I much appreciated the concern shown for my difficulty.
The shuttle operation is very efficient with always friendly drivers.
Staying at the Comfort Inn doesn't mean that you're sacrificing comfort for the convenience of its location near the airport.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I stayed at the Comfort Inn Airport Rd March 28th to April 1st/12. I stayed in a non-smoking room with a king bed,comfy and clean. Large flat screen TV,table, two chairs,desk,plenty of room. Sliding doors onto a private balcony. I could control my room temperate easily. Toilet and shower looked new and clean,(tight space but functional) sink was separate. Continental breakfast was included and had a good assortment. The restaurant offers a nice breakfast menu and I thought reasonable prices,service was great The building isn't new but is maintained and has a grand feel with magnificent chandeliers,wood paneling,marble floors and gold leaf accents in the lobby. New carpet was rolled up in the lobby ready to be laid,discretely covered with screens until installed. I will definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: some of the other rooms near mine had a small fridge
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank sunny9876
Glace Bay, Canada
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Stayed at the Comfort Inn Airport St John's on mar 12/12. Check in was very quick with very friendly staff. My wife and I had a room with a king bed. Room was outfitted with modern furniture and was clean and fresh. The bed was very comfortable and provided a good night sleep. No issue with noise from other rooms or hallway. Hotel has an onsite restaurant which is quite nice. Location is only a few minutes from the airport.Overall, we were very pleased with the stay and will come back again

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Bangor, Maine
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I have stayed here many times. The location is EXCELLENT in that it is right near the airport. Just about 2-3 minutes from the airport. Great shuttle service at the hotel to get you to and from the airport. Even though it is near the airport, I have never had a problem with noisey airplanes at night.

Hotel is also very near the Trans Canada.

I tried the business class rooms and the new rooms in the new extenstion they put on the hotel recently. No windows that open. I have had to stay in the regular rooms in order to get some fresh air.

The breakfast in the morning is VERY BASIC. Not much to it. If you have an early morning flight, it is great to get something to eat since they start at something like 4 a.m. but clean up by 8 a.m. The 8 a.m. close up for the breakfast is a real problem if you want to sleep in a bit! To me that is a major down side.

The hotel restaurant is fine for breakfast and lunch. Dinners are not that great. Service at this restaurant is really slow. You need to let them know that you have time constraints in order to hurry things along.

The hotel recently put in an elevator system...........fantastic........since many Comfort Inns in Canada do not have elevators.

Very friendly staff. Comfortable beds. Great place to stay!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Traveler06232009
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 14 January 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in January 2012. Overall it was a positive experience, with just a few minor glitches.

We had a king room in the "renovated" section - we requested that based on other TA reviews. The room was large, very clean, and attractively furnished. The mattress, pillows, and linens were all very comfortable. There was a large flat-screen TV with full cable. The bathroom was a reasonable size, though the towels were a bit small and thin.

We found it very quiet in the hotel. We didn't hear any other guests when we were in our room, and we didn't hear any airplane noise at all. However the heater fan normally cycles on and off every 10-15 minutes, so if you're a lighter sleeper I'd recommend you use the "continuous fan" setting at night so that the sound will be constant rather than starting and stopping.

Between our first and second nights the room was totally cleaned, towels replaced (even though we'd hung them up), and even new bars of soap provided. However between the second and third nights the towels were replaced but the tub and sink definitely weren't cleaned. Not a huge deal - however we thought it was a bit odd.

The free breakfast bar was ok, but a bit mediocre. There was toast, bagels, muffins, cold cereal, cold hard boiled eggs, apples, and oranges. One of of the three mornings they ran out of butter and the staff didn't bring more. The coffee was good. The free breakfast bar stops at 8am however you could buy something more at the restaurant as they had longer hours.

The staff were generally very friendly and helpful, with just one exception. There was only one bathrobe in the room - which seemed unusual, but didn't really matter to us as we don't usually use them. However we wanted to be sure that one wasn't missing, as we didn't want to risk getting charged for it. We asked the front desk if there was supposed to be just one, and the staff person got very defensive with us - "king rooms only come with ONE bathrobe - ONE!" Other than that one person though, the other staff seemed great.

We had one supper in the hotel restaurant "Clancy's". It was pretty mediocre both in terms of food and service. It was very slow to arrive (with no explanation), and the quality-check came so late that we had nearly finished our food. The waitress didn't offer drink refills even when she saw that we had empty glasses. The vegetable side-dishes were barely luke-warm, and the flavours of the food in general were quite bland. I'd recommend eating elsewhere if possible.

The one other problem we had was that we had to have our room cards re-keyed twice, which was a bit annoying as it was a long-ish walk from our room to the front desk. The first time they realized that they had only programmed our cards for one night (instead of three). I have no idea what happened the second time.

There's a free shuttle to and from the airport which is very handy. The hotel is very close to the airport, but not very close to anything else.

Overall I would recommend this hotel if you need to be close to the airport - just go somewhere else to eat supper if possible.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the "renovated" section.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank EllaCat11
London
Reviewed 25 December 2011

I had an early flight out of St Johns Airport, so booked this rather dated but fine airport hotel. Had to return rental car and rather than wait for the shuttle just walked the rather bleak 700 meters back to the Hotel. reception was friendly and accomodating and I got a very large room down one remote wing beyond the restaurant. Had fridge and anything I would want, vintage 1984 but well maintained. It is not cheap, but I got an OK internet rate and it was fairly good value considering the rather high hotel prices in St John. Likely not a very convenient base for the city itself...worth paying C$20-30 more and ataying closer to the centre. Quick shuttle to airport at 4:45 am next day.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Being close to the airport should be your only reason to stay at this hotel. It's out of the way of everything else, and it's expensive for what is offered. Rooms & bathrooms are decent, restaurant on site, internet, free parking. Basically an average hotel that over charges because it's right near the airport. If you're travelling to St. John's for tourism and activities, stay somewhere closer to the city core or area where you plan to spend most of your time. This hotel is good for super early flights out of town, and for super late night arrivals. That's about it, because there's nothing to do at or near the hotel itself.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family