All reviews exposed beams towel warmer george street electric fireplace national historic site historic hotel continental breakfast the gypsy tea room jacuzzi tub water street downtown st cookie cutter free parking light bulbs boiled eggs lots of character fourth floor
Reviewed June 18, 2018

We booked approx 10 rooms for a family wedding and each room had its own unique characteristics. Beautiful old building that inspires you to check out all the little hidden nooks. Breakfast was your usual continental with happy employees. The staff were very helpful and charming. The location is awesome on the waterfront, within walking distance to the bars, and shops.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Steve D, General Manager at Murray Premises Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2018

Thank you so much for sharing your review, we appreciate it!

We love hosting wedding groups, and our ideal downtown location have made us a big hit with many happy couples, bridal parties, and families and friends throughout the years! I am so happy that your family enjoyed a pleasant stay at our hotel and that the charm of the historic Murray Premises Hotel and it's staff resonated with you.

Thanks again for choosing our hotel and for leaving such valuable feedback!

Reviewed June 17, 2018

We make a point of visiting the amazing island of Newfoundland each year. I was stranded in Gander during 911 and I return to see the friends I made during that period who are now part of our extended family. A visit to St John’s with a stay at The Murray Premises is “de rigueur”. Situated in the centre of St John’s, the Murray Premises is a National Historic Site. Built as a warehouse in 1846, it has been beautifully restored into a hotel retaining most of the original features of this glorious building.

The rooms are spacious, spotless, extremely comfortable and very well appointed; big bathrooms, fireplace, coffee, TV, superb wifi connectivity, etc. An excellent breakfast is included in the room rate and it is always a joy to be greeted by familiar faces when we go back. The staff are delightful and cannot do enough for you - the service is tremendous. In fact, it is probably one of my favourite hotels and I always look forward to our annual visit.

Incredibly conveniently located in St John’s; just about everything there is to see is within walking distance. Situated on the harbour front it is surrounded by some of the best restaurants in the city (a number of them are on-site) and Water Street is but a stone’s throw away.

This year is unusual in that I will be visiting Newfoundland a second time and my reservation is already confirmed!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Steve O

What a kind review, thank you so much for taking the time to share with your fellow travelers on TripAdvisor!

The impact that 9/11 has had on the world is immeasurable, but one bright spot that has shined out of tragedy is the connection that many visitors from around the world now have to Newfoundland and Labrador. Thank you for making the Murray Premises Hotel a part of your annual visit to the island, much like the fine folks in Gander we are very proud to be your hosts!

Thanks again for the amazingly generous feedback about our hotel and our service, I hope we do indeed get to welcome you back again the future!

Reviewed June 17, 2018

Excellent location for George Street partying between Water St and the Harbor. It was quite pricey but had extra services and service costs money when you don't have Mexico next door. The only blip I had was a racket in the middle of the night by drunks at 4:00 a.m. Then I am not sure what any hotel could do about that

Date of stay: June 2018
Steve D, General Manager at Murray Premises Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2018

Thank you very much for sharing your review, we appreciate it!

I am happy to hear that overall you were pleased with your stay at our hotel and felt that you received good value. My apologies that you did encounter some minor noise issues during your visit, I hope it didn't prove too inconvenient. We do our absolute best to deal with any such issues promptly, but if you wished to reach out to me to discuss this or any other specifics of your stay in greater detail please feel free to do so anytime.

Thanks again for choosing our property and for sharing your feedback, I hope we get to welcome you again in the future!

Reviewed June 13, 2018

Thanks to the wonderful staff at the Murray Premises for another fantastic stay. I've been staying at the Murray Premises at every opportunity when visiting St John's (well over a decade now) and this is my first review - long overdue!

My recent stay this past weekend was even more special as my wife and I were travelling with good friends from England. Erika and staff went above and beyond expectations by pampering us with wonderful rooms, even leaving a personal birthday card from my friend who was celebrating a birthday during the stay. Despite a full hotel and a very busy conference, Erika was there to meet and greet everyone. It was a great personal touch.

The rooms were superb - spotless - and I do recommend spending the extra money for the King rooms as they are so well appointed and comfortable. It truly makes for a memorable stay.

Over the years I've had the privilege to get to know some of the staff and we look forward to seeing them each visit. Bernie is such a lovely person and we look forward to breakfast each morning, just to catch up as good friends do. This trip was no different and despite being moved temporarily to Evoo for breakfast, Bernie kept on top of it all and still managed a quick chat while serving.

I really can't say enough about this great hotel. It's in the heart of downtown St John's, so close to the best restaurants, pubs and unique shops. It's a building full of character and history (nationally recognized for it's preservation/restoration). Each room is unique in layout and full of charm. Guest parking is complimentary as is breakfast. The staff is attentive, helpful and extremely friendly. The room rates are very reasonable and good value for a hotel of this quality. Seriously, what more do you need in a hotel?? Only home is better.......

Book a stay and experience this gem for yourself. Trust me, you'll be so happy you did!

Room tip: If booking an executive king, ask for one in the Becks Cove wing - truly exceptional.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

What a wonderful review, thank you so much for sharing!

You have captured so much in your feedback that I don't even know where to start! Thanks so much for the kind words about our facility, our service, and our amenities, it's very heartwarming to read that you feel so welcome here. We appreciate you highlighting the efforts of some individual members of our team including Erika and Berni, I'll be sure they read your review and are recognized for their great work. I am thrilled to see that we made your companion's birthday a special one and that the staff were able to add a personal touch to your visit to St. John's.

Thanks again for choosing the Murray Premises Hotel and for recommending it to other travelers on TripAdvisor. We can't wait to welcome you back again in the future!

Reviewed June 11, 2018

One cannot help but be impressed with the Murray Premises Hotel...a picturesque hotel located right on the waterfront, in a building was an impressive history dating back to 1846. The owners have not a fantastic conversion of the building, keeping much of the character of the building which was once a warehouse catering to the fishing trade. We were delighted to be upgraded on arrival, upgraded to a room with king size bed, a large sitting area, even a fireplace plus a view out over the courtyard. The hotel provides a complimentary breakfast, and most impressed by the breakfast host Os,a most congenial presence early in the morning, one who takes such a personal interest in everyone who enters his domain. Would I stay there again? In a heartbeat. Would I recommend to friends? Without question. Great location, comfortable rooms, onsite dining, friendly staff. A winning combination.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Steve D, General Manager at Murray Premises Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2018

What a great review! Thank you so much for sharing, we truly appreciate it.

I am so pleased that our boutique hotel located in a National Historic Site resonated with you so deeply. We are very proud of our history and the unique attributes that accentuate the experience of staying at the Murray Premises Hotel, your feedback is a terrific validation of what we strive to offer our visitors.

Your kind words about the staff of our hotel do not go unnoticed either, and thank you in particular for highlighting the work that Os does each morning. I will be sure he reads your review and is recognized for his great efforts in customer service.

Thanks again for staying with us and for leaving such a kind review, I hope we get to welcome you back again in the future!