“Cantwell House - the start of our trip across Canada”
Review of Cantwell House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. John's
Cantwell House
Ranked #9 of 25 St. John's B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 December 2010

While in Australia, we made our booking directly with Cantwell House and were definitely not disappointed. Mary and Louis were extremely friendly and hospital.
Our intention was to start our trip visiting each province and St John's was the beginning with three nights at Cantwell House.

Cantwell House is an older style building with three levels. The rooms are large and homely. Within a short time of arriving, our hosts took us to a country western concert at the nearby Gower United Church. The weather was cool with light showers however we took very opportunity possible to see as much as St John's as possible.

Each morning, we had a lovely home cooked breakfast as this is a B&B.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UniquePerth

Reviewed 8 October 2010

The view of the harbour was fantastic. The house was withing walking distance to downtown and most attractions. The hosts were very informative about things to see and do. Would highly recommend Cantwell House B & B.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank ngaudet
Reviewed 8 September 2010

Our host Mary was gracious and helpful. The accommodations were tidy, comfortable and spacious. The room we stayed in was great with a good mattress on the foldaway couch. The two breakfast's were generous in their portions and featured a wide variety of local foods as well as normal breakfast staples. A highlight were the fresh baked goods and fruits. Location is good as you are walking distance to the downtown and not too far from any of the tourist attractions of St. John's. We truly felt at home during our stayeat Cantwell House

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank cantravel14
Reviewed 15 June 2010

Cantwell House has all the old world charm of a pre 1900 house to go along with the great hosts, Mary and Louis. We walked to all the downtown shopping, great dining and Museums. Our super clean room was equipped with a VERY comfortable bed, great bathroom and no noise. Breakfast was always delicious and each morning we were able to gather lots of info after talking to the other guests and wonderful hosts.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2010

I stayed at Cantwell House three times for one week at a time as I attended classes at MUN. This was my first B & B experience and I have to say that I am sold on it now.
I woke up to the most fantastic breakfasts and thoroughly enjoyed the company of the most charming hosts - Mary and Louis. These folks really know how to treat their guests and provided lots of little extras for the group of us staying with them to give us a real Newfoundland experience.
The view from the deck is fantastic for sitting with a glass of wine.
I hope to return some day with my family. Loved the view. Loved the food. Loved the company. Great stay at Cantwell House! I'll be back.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 May 2010

We spent four nights in Cantwell House. Our hosts were exceptionally helpful and welcoming. Charming house in a great location. Lovely, clean comfortable rooms. Scrumptious hot breakfast each morning and a fantastic view of St John's harbour.

Wexford, Ireland

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2010

Absolute horrible place to book with. I booked over a month in advance, and two days before I was to arrive I recieved a phone call from the owner to say that they were working on the stairway and she couldn't have me stay but booked for me at another B and B. She never asked if this was what I would like, she just stated it. The place she booked me with, did not seem to have very good reviews, so I found accomodations else where, which was next door to the Cantwell House. So it was easy to see the other guests that she took in the entire week that I had booked for, when supposedly she was not able to have guests. Some actually were checking in as I arrived, at the same time I was supposed to check in. I have never been more disgusted in a business's practise than this. Luckily it was for the best as I stayed at a much nicer place, that was pure luxery and everyone there were angels. But I recommend if you wish to stay at Cantwells be prepared that you might be bumped last minute if they can find someone to pay a little extra than they quote you. At least I did not let this one horrible person ruin my first time to one of the nicest places in Canada. I will be back and in a few months with a few other couples and we will definitely not be booking with Mary Cantwell.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo