“Luxurious room, unique hotel ;)”
Review of Blue on Water

Blue on Water
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in St. John's
Toronto, Canada
“Luxurious room, unique hotel ;)”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I treated myself to a couple of nights at the Blu at the end of a business trip to St John's, after having spent the previous few nights at a big-name hotel.

The Blu on Water is definitely a unique hotel experience. When I arrived, I was welcomed by none other than the hotel owner, who was very hospitable, and offered me a drink on the house at the hotel bar. Yes, it is a bit unusual to be checking in at the bar but the Newfie friendliness as displayed by the owner and the hotel staff is very refreshing.

One of the staff shortly after offered to help carry my luggage up to the 2nd floor where the rooms are located.

The room I stayed in was one of their Queen suites. I was impressed with the unique decor -- the room looked very much like the website pictures. I particularly appreciated the spot lighting throughout the room. Definitely a romantic place.

I returned to the Blue on Water bar/restaurant in the evening and had a great dinner with a local friend. The bar/ restaurant is quite possibly the nicest and classiest in St John's and that night it was brimming with friendly people.

I would definitely return to the Blu in some good company. It is a romantic, even idyllic place. Probably not the _best_ place for solo or business travel -- not that kinda vibe ;)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Angelita d

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 19 December 2011

The hotel does not have a parking lot. Your only reasonable choice within a short walking distance to the hotel is to park on the street. BUT, be very careful. The streets are all metered and have some bizarre regulations in effect at certain times that are not posted on the street. The only way to know about them is if the hotel tells you or if you are clairvoyant enough to know that you should find your way to the City of St. John's website and search out the regulations. In my case the hotel did not tell me and as a tourist with a rental car I had no way of knowing until I received a ticket. The hotel refused to accept any responsibility for paying the ticket or for having failed to tell me about the special parking regulations.
I could proceed to tell you about the poor service in the restaurant or having to schlepp your suitcase through the bar to reach the only elevator (a service elevator), but I believe that has been well said by others.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Small room, windows didn't open which meant the room quickly got stuffy as soon as you showered. There is no reception so you check-in at the Bar, not a great situation as you are competing for attention with the people in the Bar. No parking lot attached to the Hotel, so if you are renting a car you should be aware of that.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Spanners_11
Reviewed 3 September 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights in the standard queen room following a night at the Battery Hotel on Signal hill (see review). Our room was plenty large and the bathroom was very spacious too! The shower/tub was wonderful and looked brand new. The A/C worked very well and the bed was the most comfortable bed of our entire 3-week trip through the Maritimes. You can't beat the location of this boutique hotel - right in the heart of St. John's and only a block from the Rocket Bakery and YellowBelly Brewery. The most amazing part of our stay was the staff. They are all soooo nice and helpful with everything! We didn't eat at the restaurant but definitely frequented the bar which is only a flight of stairs (or elevator ride?) below. If you like to stay in non commercialized hotels this is def the place to be. I would stay there again without question if I ever make it back to NFLD.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank rpcvdeb
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Blue on Water is a Boutique hotel with a great location in a trendy area of downtown. We choose to stay three nights in the cheapest room available for $139. The room was small, clean, and modern. With two people in the the room and luggage I did find this room too small. The bed had a duvet cover which added class and confort to the room. We checked out the larger rooms and they were lovely, however, very pricey but maybe that is the nor for downtown hotels in this area. Walking distant to pubs, restaurants, shopping, as well as the water front.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 15 July 2011

There is NO parking. Any parking within the down town area is metered during the day and ticketed at night. When I learnt of this I stated that I would like to go somewhere else and was informed that I could go, but will still be charged for the night. So instead of letting an unsatisfied customer go, they would rather make the experience worse.

The do not put pictures of all their rooms online. I thought I was getting one style of room and got another. The photos reflected a room that I would pay that fee for, but the room I received was not worth the fee charged.

I had planned to eat in the restaurant, but after my check-in experience and a look at the place I changed my mind.The photos are well done, because when you see the place in person, it does not live up to them. Great marketing.

I had a package arriving to this location and checked in twice in the day that it was due to only be told it had not arrived. The following day after I flew out of the country I had checked my e-mail and it had in fact been there that day when I asked twice! This error cost me big time.

I can only caution people about this place.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank pthft
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 25 June 2011

This hotel is a little hidden GEM. Great location, great food, great hospitality.. but best of all their beds are a little like heaven.
I booked this hotel for my business trip to St-John's and def will book this place again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business