“Ok, but has lots of kinks to work out to make it much better”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Bally Haly Golf & Country Club
Ranked #170 of 431 Restaurants in St. John's
Reviewed December 1, 2009

So, I should say that we (6 + baby) went there for Sunday brunch at noon and it was only the 2 or 3 week it has been opened. Overall it was ok, but they have a lot of kinks to work out.

The Restaurant:

The building is old and dated, however the inside was clean. (I hear they might be renovating at some point) They have an excellent view from the restaurant though which is nice. It was fairly busy there when we arrived, but cleared out by the time we left. Another major issue is that they have the buffet set up on folding tables with those head trays with the removable lids. Terrible idea.. as you have to lift the lid and find somewhere to put it to serve yourself. They need to update this by getting the buffet trays with the lids that slide up and back and forward to close. This would make it much better. I was also getting annoyed by the lack of etiquette people had. The serve ware was left in the trays with the lids one so the metal on the handle was so hot, you could use them. There was plates in front for them to be laid on, but apparently people didn’t know how to use them.

The Service:

The service was not great. It’s a buffet. Though. they should have people coming around taking your plates as you finish. They did not do this. We had to either use the same one (gross) or just move the plate to an empty table (which they did not remove the whole time we where there) The did have someone coming around with tea and coffee frequently which was good.

The Food:

The food was ok. Nothing great, but not terrible. They had your typical buffet style food. (eggs, bacon, ham, etc) They had made to order omelets but one poor guy making them. They also had Newfoundland style food (corned beef and cabbage) and roast dinner options as well. I would recommend the fish cakes, and the roast beef. They had a large whole salmon out, but when we got there it was picked clean. They should have brought out another one seeing there was 3 hours left to the buffet. They had s smoothie station which was good. They had a pastry/bread station as well. The only had white bread though which they should add whole wheat as white bread is terrible for you. The waffles where by far the worst I ever ate. I took one bite and that was it. Others tried it and though the same. Belgian waffles should be light and fluffy. These where gritty (from the sugar in the mix) and dense… and cold. I would not recommend these.

The Price:

It was $15 a head. This is a good price considering the selection you get. Can’t complain here.

Overall. I think it’s a nice place to go, I think that the issues I saw where just ‘kinks’ with any new restaurant. So I’m hoping that this will be resolved over the next while. I would recommend going there, but keep the above in mind…. And hopefully by that time these things will be fixed