Explorer Hotel
US$95
The Discovery Inn(Yellowknife)
US$105
  • Restaurant
All reviewsroom serviceprince of walesin towncomfortable hotelnorthern heritage centrefront desk staffshoppers drug martvisitor centerpolar beararctic charexcellent hotelfree airport shuttleplace to staywould definitely stay here againframe lakerooms are cleannorthern lights
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I've stayed at the Super 8, Chateau Nova and Explorer in Yellowknife.

I really like the Explorer. The rooms are clean, beds are very comfortable, if you get a room facing the lake you get a very nice view out your window.

The curtains block out all the light which is very good for the summer.

I'd like to stay at the YK Inn sometime but I'm very satisfied with the Explorer so unless there are no rooms at the Explorer I won't book anywhere else.

There is an Extra Foods grocery store two blocks away. The visitors centre is just across the street as is Shoppers Drug Mart, Black Night Pub and Overlanders Sports.

If you want to be down town I definitely recommend Explorer.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Siutiapik
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I stayed at the Explorer Hotel from September 25 to September 30, 2011. I found the staff every friendly. The rooms were very clean and inviting, the beds were extremely comfortrable and I had an awesome view of the water when I woke up in the morning. The room was extremely cold when I arrived but was fixed shortly after I arrrived and was perfect for the rest of the week. Breakfasts were very good with lots of variety. I did not like the surcharge tacked on to the bills though. I always leave a tip so to find out there was an added charge was a bit of a surprise. The drinks in the bar were very expensive. Overall my stay was very good.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the water.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Trannie55
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I travel to Yellowknife about 4 - 5 times a year. There are lots of accommodation options, but I find The Explorer Hotel to be the best one for me. The rooms are comfortable and clean, the full service restaurant and pub downstairs means I have good eating options onsite and location means I am in close walking distance to anything downtown. No surprises is what I like. As with anywhere else in the north, the cost of things is much higher, so I'm not surprised by $20 breakfasts. It seems to be the meeting place for people in the 'Knife.

Room Tip: The Explorer recently added a new wing; I always ask for a room in the new wing and away from the elevator. I also like to look out over Old Town.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Thank JohnT.D.
Reviewed September 19, 2011

I have stayed in the Explorer more times than I can count.

Pros: Clean, parking is easy, excellent views, fridges in rooms. Free airport shuttle. Overall it is a fine hotel.
Cons: In rooms close to the elevator you will hear the elevator grinding its way up and down all night. The biggest issue with the explorer is HVAC related. During a stay last November with a number of colleagues also in the hotel, some rooms were way too hot, others too cold. Adjustments to the thermostat took days, not hours to really change the temp. And the windows do not open. So if you get in your room and its too hot, ask to change rooms.
Front desk staff are generally cold, some appear to be poorly trained.

Also the Traders restaurant is very hit and miss. They have a new executive chef so let's hope things get better and consistency improves.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevators and on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2011

The Hotel is clean and neat, the rooms are in good condition, all though the sink and bathtub need to be replaced. The food in the restaurant was fair to good but very over priced. With the tip breakfast was $20 should have been $12, lunch and supper same sort of price issue. The free shuttle to and from the airport is good, as is the central location in town.There was an argument between a couple of drunks down my hall at around 2 am in the morning and I could hear it quite well. From what I hear from others this is still one of the better hotels in Yellowknife

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business