“Good food but...”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 27, 2018

I was in Sunday evening for a nice meal and overall the food did not disappoint. We shared a few nice dishes (I would definitely recommend the calamari), but there were a few issues with our male server that are a tad awkward to discuss.

While he was generally nice, he was a bit slow and he forgot our delicious dinner roles. Now this we could move past, but... He has some hygiene issues that are impossible to dismiss. Specifically, he had incredibly bad breath, which is most unfortunate when one is trying to eat food. We had to cut our interactions with him as short as possible so that we could maintain our appetites. Generally I like to develop a rapport with my server and get menu recommendations, but this was not an option and, as a result, we likely appeared dismissive and a touch rude.

This is clearly uncomfortable to write, but it is a troubling issue that I believe is important to address. Hopefully our next visit will be better.

Reviewed December 18, 2017

Mother's Day, a day when everyone wants to treat Mom, save her from cooking. And what better way to do that then to get the whole family together and go for a special Mother's Day Brunch (at a cost of almost $40.00 per person!) Bow, I know that buffet works for some people, there is no limit to the amount of food you can consume. I get that even though my one egg and slice of toast is certainly not worth $40.00...it is the occasion so....What surprised me is, this is a hotel with guests visiting from all over the world, so you would think they could accommodate almost everyone...no so. In this day of allergies and healthy eating concerns you would expect hotel to be able to provide at least one gluten free item on their menu...just one. Unfortunately this is not the case...my daughter-in-law paid $40.00 for a small dish of Jello, yes, Jello. This wll certainly be the last brunch of any kind that I will NOT enjoy at the Old Orchard Inn...and the second time I have been disappointed by their service and the exorbitant prices they charge for poor quality.

1  Thank darlene93
Reviewed July 16, 2017

We paid 36$ each for the ''Privateer's steak'', and it reminds me of the cheap steaks you'd get at a municipal BBQ or after a charity run. My wife's was ''well done'' when she ordered ''medium rare''. She returned it and got a properly cooked steak shortly after, but never did they offer the second glass of wine on the house or anything of the sort. The mussels were not cleaned properly and thus were grainy, or sandy if you will.

Fair to say that the service was on par; the lady was very helpful and apologized may times. Very friendly staff, but the food simply does not reflect the price tag.

For the best bang for your buck, I'd highly recommend Luckett Vineyards, who charges 30$ a steak and is nothing short of amazing.

1  Thank desrosierss3
Reviewed June 16, 2017 via mobile

Our server was very attentive and friendly. We started with the shrimp appetizer, very fresh and flavourful. For our main we had scallops and the calypso chicken dish. Both were delicious with chicken being spicy. Nice selection of local wine to try as well.

Reviewed April 21, 2017

The Acadian Room Restaurant and the Blomidon Dinning room at the Old Orchard Inn offer very special dining experiences such as the warmth from the massive stone fireplace, antiques and architecture reflecting the history and culture of the Annapolis Valley, large windows overlooking the stunning beauty of land and sea and centuries-old Acadian dykes and a large roof top terrace for stargazing and watching beautiful sunsets. Fresh and incredible local traditional Nova Scotia favorites from Lobster, chowders, a Sunday Buffet, award winning burgers and savour an apple dessert with fresh fruit from our Valley orchards.

2  Thank rosewood1234