Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Monica N
Kirkfield, Canada

Summer 2023 trip

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Jun 25, 2023via mobile
Lovely well maintained rv park on edge of Dartmouth/Halifax! Busy and full the weekend we were here! Lots of large sites for big RV’s! Tennis courts and play park for kids. Great for a one nite stop passing thru. All amenities close by. $20 cash needed for gate key card.
Date of stay: June 2023
  • ZenHotels.com
    C$219
30.2 km from Shubie Campground
View more hotels in Dartmouth
All reviews craft brewery washroom facilities city bus gate key staff went out of their way location is fantastic a great stay campers rv tennis halifax shopping ns
Selected filters
Reviewed June 3, 2023

I stayed at Shubie’s in May of this year and had a really great time. The location is fantastic, and all the staff went out of their way to make my stay as comfortable as possible and went the extra mile to help me out of a jam when the rain was pouring down and my tent got damaged. It was that human touch especially that made my stay so pleasant. There is also an excellent craft brewery nearby and a fantastic Caribbean restaurant around a 15 -20 minute walk away. The park itself is stunning and offers a shortcut to a lot of major stores, which is really handy for a solo traveller on foot.

Room tip: Make sure you have the right change for the bus into town. If not the office will happily give you the right change
Date of stay: May 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed September 7, 2022 via mobile

We camped in august 2022 in a tent.
We chose this campground because of the location. It’s the closest to Halifax which is a plus. I guess that’s the only positive thing I have to say about this campground.

Here is a copy of the description of the campground, on Shubie website : « Conveniently located on the quiet shores of Lake Charles, you’ll enjoy a peaceful, wooded setting and a variety of recreation facilities while still handy to sightseeing and shopping in the Greater Halifax area »
- Conveniently located : yes
- on the quiet shores : no ! You can hear cars and trucks on the highway all night long and see the IKEA sign from your site
- peaceful : see previous comment
- wooded : this is not what we expected of a wooded setting. Very few trees. Trees outside of the campground all around but not every site has a tree. In fact most of the sites have no tree at all. Almost no shade. You can see and hear your neighbour. Not intimacy at all. I woke up in the middle of the night hearing our neighbour snoring in his own tent on the next site.
- variety of recreation facilities : beach and park were fine, tennis courts, etc.

Moreover, the bathroom facilities (there is only one) were the worst we have ever seen. For the mens bathroom, it was a health hazard with black mold all over the shower curtain and the shower tiles. Toilets and sinks were dirty. My boyfriend informed the front desk of this and they rapidly changed the shower curtain with a new one. However, bathroom facilities remained dirty, not well taken care of, even though they said they would take care of it and even though we made a second complaint a the day after. For the womens bathroom, it was dirty but less dirty than the mens bathroom. However, I have seen numerous toilets unflushed, trash on the floor of the bathroom not picked up for 3 days straight. Going to the bathroom or taking a shower was not fun at all in these conditions. To the point where we asked friends living in Halifax if we could shower at their place. We expected more of this campground according to the reviews we read…

Near our site was the trash container which was fine. But someone just abandoned his tent-trailer there, someone else had to camp in the back of the trash container because of a mixed up reservation (poor guy!). It made us feel like the campground isn’t taken care of…

On the plus side, we had a problem with our tent and the maintenance guy was really nice and helped us repair it.

Therefore, I don’t recommend this campground. It was way too pricey for the poor experience we had.

If you camp in an RV and you are used to camp in tight spaces and you have your own toilet and shower I guess it’s fine… but if you have a tent, beware !

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2022 via mobile

I stayed at Shubie campground with my girlfriend and my dog in late August of 2022 for 3 nights, and here is my opinion of the site.

First, the pros:

-Location, location, location. It is indeed located very close to downtown Darthmouth and Halifax. The city being what it is, it does mean however that you’ll need to rely on car and highways for simple transits. This also means that the campground is noisy and bright at night and almost conpletely devoides of trees.

-The staff is friendly, accommodating and helpful. The site we were attributed was in the middle of the campground with not a single sign of shade which is a big no when camping in a tent with a dog. They happily gave us another spot upon request. We also had a problem with our tent and the groundskeeper was happy to lend us his tools to fix it.

Now the cons:

-The camping looks like a soccer field with no trees, shade or intimacy, minutes from the highway and anoverly big and bright IKEA sign.

-The gate does not work at night and is kept open which does not feel safe considering it is located close to downtown.

-The facilities are derelict, disgusting, never cleaned and in need of major repairs. Let me be clear: the bathroom are a health hazard. I took pictures of the same beer can and pieces of paper lying around in the shower stall 3 days in a row without being picked up or cleaned. The toilet don’t flush properly and no one seems to care to flush them anyway. Same pieces of toilet paper lying on the floor on the same spot for three days and BLACK MOLD everywhere. I mean, the shower curtains stuck together from the mold. Granted, upon being informed, the staff replaced them, but did not bother to wash the stall.

Although the staff reacted promptly, it seems like this campground is run by teenagers with no initiative whatsoever and who never camped in their life nor do they know that the only things a camper expect are a clean site, maybe a picnic table and clean showers and bathrooms.

I have camped all over the place, all my life, and never was I ever this shocked by what I have witnessed. I have never been happier to pack up and leave a campground in my entire life.

Reviewed August 8, 2022 via mobile

Everything was great . The place is quiet and comfortable to sharing and enjoying with the family, husband, wife and friends. Also, this place is close of the capital, NS and others cities 🏙 . I recommend it .👍👍👌🏻👍

Reviewed July 28, 2022 via mobile

Visiting the Halifax area for several days with friends. Two larger 5th wheels. Check in easy but the entry is narrow. We had to enter via the exit but no issues. Dealt mostly with a summer employee, Kelly, who stays there in her large RV. She seems to do virtually everything there on her own. Excellent person, super helpful.

Washrooms/showers need updating in a big way. They are generally clean but not a pleasant environment. Thankfully, we did not have to use them much. Showers cost $1 for 4 minutes with lots of rules about how to use them in terms of paying. Campsites were clean but some are a bit small. Small camp store in the office with almost nothing in it. $10 for a very small bundle of firewood. $30 to pump out your tanks. A bit excessive! This is included in a 50 amp site which we could not get.

There are two areas with sites but only the one washroom. If you’re in the lower area where 50 amp sites are, it can be quite a hike up to the washroom if you need it.

Overall, we would stay there again because it is so close to Dartmouth and the ferries to Halifax. But they really need to spend some money on updating things in the existing washroom and should consider building a second one in the lower area. It is super close and handy and would really be outstanding with some infrastructure investment.

Date of stay: July 2022