“Clean, fresh meals”
Review of The Canteen

The Canteen
Reserve with OpenTable
The Canteen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 312 Restaurants in Dartmouth
Price range: US$8 - US$23
Cuisines: Soups
Description: The Canteen a full service neighbourhood restaurant in Downtown Dartmouth, serving up chef-inspired seasonal fare for lunch, brunch and dinner. At the helm in the kitchen is award-winning chef and co-owner Renee Lavallee. Her seasonal menus are influenced by classic French, Italian and traditional Nova Scotian cuisine – with a little bit of Renée’s magic thrown in. Signature items include The Canteen Burger, The Crobster Roll, Seafood Chowder and more.
Reviewed August 3, 2018 via mobile

We were so happy to have found this place. I had a great reisling from Lightfoot and Wolfville and my husband had 2 beers made in the Halifax area. We ordered the mussels which had fennel in it - they were beautiful tasting. Then I had the breaded halibut over a hodge podge of perfectly cooked and seasoned vegetables and my husband had the quinoa dish. Everything was so fresh and vibrant in flavor. The wait staff were so knowledgeable and helpful - they modified all of my meal to accommodate my dairy free needs. This place was fantastic!

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed August 1, 2018

This place is very clean and friendly. The food is top notch. The lobster\ crab sandwich is to die for

Reviewed July 28, 2018 via mobile

The Canteen is described by many to be the “in” place to go and I agree. The Seafood chowder is easily in the top three in NS, generously loaded with a variety of fresh seafood. The Panko haddock with hodgepodge and the Steak and frites easily exceeded expectations. The service, friendliness and conviviality of the wait staff was top drawer and the price points are great. However the noise level was too loud for some in our party. We will return.

Reviewed July 28, 2018 via mobile

Service was excellent and food choices are trendy. Restaurant is well decorated - only issue is that acoustics are poor and restaurant is noisy as a result.

Reviewed July 26, 2018 via mobile

I've only been to this restaurant maybe 4 times but it is fast becoming one of my favorites when I visit the city. The food is fantastic!! The steak and frites is my absolute favorite. Had this at our latest visit on the 24th and it literally was a melt in your mouth steak. Compliments to the chef!!! (And the salsa verde is heaven as well!) Service every single time is top notch. Fantastic staff! The main dining room is always a bit noisy (because it is always full!) so I try to find a quiet corner on the patio or the side room but other than that, this is a wonderful place!