“Disappointing accommodation”
Review of Seawinds Motel

Seawinds Motel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Digby
Reviewed 28 August 2011

The information provided in the Doers & Dreamers Guide & the Motel website does not distinquish between the motel rooms & what management call the "apartments." The apartments are a 10 minute walk from the motel and do not have the same amenities. There is no telephone or internet. With no telephone to get in touch with staff requires a short drive or a 10 minute walk. There was an ice bucket in the room but an ice machine was not available. Also there is no complementary breakfast as there is at the motel. Staff suggested that we have a hot breakfast at the restaurant below the apartments & were given a 10% discount coupon for said restaurant. Unfortunately the restaurant did not serve breakfast. Parking was inconvenient. The motel is on the waterfront, the apartments are not, although they overlook a waterfront park & boat yard.

The room was clean and simple, appropriate for a night's sleep but not suitable for those holidaying in the area.

Room Tip: Be sure to get good information about the location of rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 July 2011

First of all, we stayed in room 16 which is further downtown by the shoreline restaurant. The interior was immaculate, as was our room (and I used to work as a housekeeper and can spot dirt where others may not notice!). I am also very paranoid about bedbugs, and I checked both the box springs and mattresses in our room! They looked to be brand-new and bedbugs free, by the way! My only complaint about the room was the bedspreads seemed a bit worn (the sheets and blankets were pristine! Crisp and white!) and as someone else posted, the floors are lamanate which is better than carpet! The bathroom and the fixtures appear to be brand new and everything was spotless in there! No hairs! We couldn't find the ice machine though. And although our room looked out over the street, with the air conditioner goin through the night, any sounds from the street was drowned out! We enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend!! And as for the comment the other poster made about a b$&@? answering the phone, well, we were there that night to if you knew what one of the guests put that poor woman through, you'd understand why she might have had a bit of bite in her!!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I use to stay there on business all the time in previous years, so I decided to call and try them again but will never make that mistake. The women who answers the phone is the rudest B@#%# I have ever dealt with, which is the same reason I stopped staying there to begin with. So save yourself the time and stay at either the Admiral Digby (friendly people, great rates) or Dockside Suites (Beautiful rooms a little more money).

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Troy D
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Really enjoyed our stay at the Seawinds Motel - clean, comfortable, very helpful staff

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2011

My friend and I and our two small dogs recently stayed at this motel. We had room #7 which is at the end of the row, right on the water. Beautiful setting to watch the sea birds, the tides go in and out, and to watch the fishing boats. Very close to downtown Digby. A short walk to restaurants and gift shopping. Just a short drive to grocery, dollar store and Walmart.... and right near the St John ferry for that early morning crossing.
Staff was friendly and helpful.
Only problem we encountered was a sticky screen door on the deck... and the sofa bed was broken (and I didn't find out till after 11:00 at night when there was no one at the front desk... luckly I had my memory foam with me so I could make a bed for myself or I would have had a sleepless night) They need new sofa beds in at least 2 of those rooms.
Everything else was very nice.

Room Tip: Basic amenities in the kitchen but enough to prepare a meal (no oven..stovetop only)
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 June 2011

The Seawinds Motel has two sites. We stayed at the one a bit more downtown right at the harbour. It is located next to the Shoreline Restautant which also belongs to the owner of the Motel. Als for a 10% voucher at the reception. The rooms are nice and clean and have wooden floor (much better than carpet). They are equipped with microwave, cable TV, fridge (a bit loud, but you can switch it off) and coffe machine. We enjoyed staying here-

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2008

Lovely location, but we were not impressed with the room. It was dark and dreary (we stayed in a regular room, not a housekeeping room). My main problem was regarding cleanliness, which is my main criteria in judging lodging. The room had a stale smell and the bathroom had a lot of hair on the floor. When I took the floor mat off the tub and spread it on the floor there was even hair on it, leading me to believe that it wasn't washed but just thrown back over the tub! Also the baseboards had a great deal of dust and dirt on them (I often look there as they are easy for lazy housekeepers to overlook).
There was a good selection in the office for breakfast, but it had to be brought back to the room to eat. Not a big problem, but hard to juggle everything on the small trays, and no toasters for the bagels if you didn't have a housekeeping room.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple