Lowest prices for your stay
US$111
Reserve now, pay at stay
Hotels.comUS$111
Trip.comUS$135
eDreamsUS$112
All reviews dining room buffet breakfast historic hotel aveda spa walking trails bedroom cottage fine dining digby scallops old style an older hotel next morning board games bacon seafood vines server lisette
Selected filters
Reviewed September 20, 2020 via mobile

Paid almost 200 for a basin view, king bed room that barely fit the furniture. There was enough space to walk into the room and around the bed, that was about it. The window was also small and the only place to sit was on the bed. The bathroom was extremely compact with no fan and the water temp in the shower took forever to regulate. We could hear the ppl talking in the next room and woke the next morning to the roar of their shower. I literally heard the person turn the light switch on in their bathroom. Not a place to go if you want privacy or space to relax. Paint job in the room was sloppy, door hinges half painted and brush marks of paint on the floor. On a positive note...the bed and bedding was very nice. Will not be returning as it’s waaay over priced for what you get. Would much rather have stayed at a traditional hotel. Stayed right on the water front in Lunenburg the following night for half the price in a room 4x the size!

Date of stay: September 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Dylan Courtney, Guest Services / Front Office at Digby Pines Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2020

First and foremost I'd like to apologize for the shortcomings you experienced at our resort, our guest's satisfaction has always been Digby Pines top priority. We, unfortunately, did not meet expectations and for this I am sorry.

Digby Pine Golf Resort and Spa was constructed in the late '20s as a Norman Chateau Styled hotel. Fast forward to the present day, the resort has tried it's best to stay true to the original architecture, this, unfortunately, resulting in smaller room sizing.

We'd like to thank you for your honest feedback as we plan to improve our product in the months and years ahead. An overall revamp of the property is in the works and we will be sure to pass this information on to the developing team.

Again my apologies,

Dylan Courtney
Guest Services Supervisor
Digby Pines Golf Resort and Spa

Reviewed September 19, 2020

As long as I can remember, I’ve always wanted to stay at Digby Pines Golf Resort & Spa; it has been a bucket list item of mine. The cost of staying there was a bit out of my price range, but we had saved enough to stay for two nights! I read reviews beforehand; therefore, I knew that it was an older hotel (with charm) and small rooms, but I was okay with this. I booked for two nights; king size bed with water view, and made sure the room had air conditioning due to health reasons.

Check in went smoothly and we had a wonderful gentleman at guest services (Dylan C) answer any questions we had, and he provided valuable information as we had booked a whale watching excursion for the next day and were unfamiliar with the area. We asked if there was a luggage cart we could use and were directed to where they were. We went up to the third floor first to check out our room and realized we wouldn’t be able to take the cart right to our room, because once you get off the elevator, there are three steps to get down to another landing and then an additional three steps to the hallway where our room was (at the end of the hallway).

Okay, not the greatest layout for ease of transporting luggage, so we had to adjust our expectations to having to make multiple trips, and having to ascend and descend several stairs while carrying our luggage, in order to load and unload from car to room, and vice versa. We get to the room and it’s small - barely any room around the bed, tiny bathroom, no mini fridge but again, we knew this prior to booking. Cleanliness-Well we found multiple glossette raisins under the bed. We turned on the air conditioning for the night, it was comfortable.

The next day, we left the air conditioner running so when we got back, our room would be nice, cool and comfortable. We booked the pool for 6pm (due to COVID, had to book time), and went to our whale watching excursion. When we got back around 5pm, we opened the door to our room and received a warm wave of air in our face. That was strange; since we made sure we left the air conditioner on when we left. We checked the thermostat to notice that it was on the heat symbol and blowing hot air. Our room was between 27-30 degrees Celsius! We were told that housekeeping would not enter our room due to COVID until after we checked out, so we could not understand how it had switched from air conditioning to heat setting on its own. So we turned it back to the air conditioning symbol and nothing happened, except the air conditioning symbol blinking on and off, but no air whatsoever coming from the vent. We switched to fan setting, which caused the vent to blow a slight breeze for a few minutes then it would shut off for several minutes before coming back on again. So we turned the unit off and waited a few minutes and turned it back on...same thing happened.

My Hubby called down to front desk. No answer so he left a message. About 10 minutes later, after still not getting a call back, my hubby calls again. This time a guest service lady answers. My hubby tells her what is going on. Her response is that they shut down the central air conditioning to the hotel because it’s now their ‘fall season’ and the vent system is central to each room, and that the heat was turned on today as a result. My hubby informed her that the temperature in our room was reading 27 degrees, and he asked her how we were to go about remedying this, as this was far too hot to be comfortable during a night’s sleep. The guest services representative does not apologize for our inconvenience, but instead suggests that we “Open a Window”--Unacceptable.

We paid a lot of money to stay here, we had made sure that it would have air conditioning before booking, and were not told during either booking or check in that the A/C would be shut off during our stay. We cannot sleep in 27-30 degree Celsius room especially with our health conditions. We were so frustrated and upset, we went down to guest services to complain, which is something we are not in the custom of doing. We spoke with a lovely older lady at guest services that was very sympathetic. She went to speak with the younger lady and I could hear the younger lady repeating what she had said to us.

The older lady at guest services mentioned that she didn’t want us to leave, so she offered us another room...how would that make a difference? It would be the same thing, no A/C. She offered us a fan for our room... so we can blow the hot air even more? We asked for a refund and said we would pack our things and be down for the refund. When we returned to the desk, the young gentleman (Dylan C.) that checked us in the night before was there with the older lady. He apologized profusely, was very sympathetic and offered us a cottage that had its own independent air conditioning that we could control ourselves. I had told him at check in that staying here was on my bucket list and was so excited to stay, he said he remembered this and wanted to make things right. We were appreciative that they wanted to try to make it right but at that point, we had already packed our stuff in the car and just wanted to leave due to frustration. We did receive our refund for the night. He mentioned that we would be receiving a call from the manager to discuss what happened and to apologize. We still have not received a call, nor do we want one at this point.

This review is to make others aware that they shut off the air conditioning to the hotel in September, so if you are okay with paying high dollar to stay in a small room on the top floor where you have limited control on the temperature, that’s your prerogative. I will also say two out of three of the guest services attendants were wonderful. The hotel is old but quaint. Beautiful view of the harbor. The pool looked nice but unfortunately we didn’t get to experience it. We will not be staying there again.

Karen,

First and foremost I'd like to apologize on behalf of the team here at the Digby Pines, we seemed to have fallen short on your expectations during your recent stay.

I also would like to thank you for your patience in awaiting this follow-up, as we operate through this busy time.

I am aware that this was a bucket list experience for you (as I recall I helped assist you during your stay) and I am so glad to hear this. Digby Pines has been welcoming guests since 1929 something we are very proud of and are humbled to have welcomed you through our doors.
That being said I would like to assure you that the issues you faced are in the works to be fixed as we invest in the property and product under our new ownership.

Plans to upgrade the heating and cooling system is one of our top priorities as soon as we finish our 2020 season, as well as an overall, revamp in the months and years to come, which we are very excited about.

We have also reached out via email and would be more than happy to further the conversation.

Yours in Hospitality,

Dylan Courtney
Guest Services Supervisor
Digby Pines Golf Resort and Spa

Reviewed September 17, 2020 via mobile

Forget this review. Just see my pics. This is my first hotel review ever. I'm in my forties and have been travelling for business and pleasure for a number of years now. I'm comfortable in Best Westerns and other bottom rung chains. As long as the bed sheets are clean, I'm happy.

We stayed in the hotel itself last night (not a cabin). I asked the front desk staff this morning if all the rooms were the same or if some parts of the hotel have been upgraded lately. He said they were all the same. We paid about $200 for this room (off-season) because we wanted a king size bed and upgraded further for a view of the water.

They shoved a desk, floor lamp, two chairs, and two night tables in this tiny room which leaves us about 18" to 24" around the bed. They should not have put a king size bed in this tiny room. Don't trust the professional pictures they took.

I've included a picture of the CBC article that came out 10 months ago where they mention the overdue structural and maintenance problems. What they do not mention is that this place has been painted, caulked, carpeted, and maintained by a drunk person and the flooring has more stains then the greenroom of a punk club.

I'm not a germaphobe, and so am not really worried about catching anything but I feel like I'm really slumming it right now. I've only ever seen one hotel room this bad before: It was a truckers motel off the highway near Sussex, NB. The hallways, main lobby and hotel exterior is beautiful, the food is great, and the staff are top knotch though.

It's a shame someone couldn't throw a hand grenade into each of the rooms to clear-out the gross.

Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Douglassanchez
Chantal Blair, Guest Services / Front Office at Digby Pines Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2020

We are sorry your stay did not meet your expectations. We are a historic property so the rooms and washrooms are smaller in scale compared to modern hotels. As you are aware we are under new ownership and they plan on doing some upgrades in the future to better our product for our guests. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed September 16, 2020

The cabin was fine,as in just fine,no better and maybe...no worse. For $407 a night,in mid September, it should have been excellent...as in 5 star. I would expect ,at this price point, top notch furnishings, decor and better up keep as well. Digby Pines has an upper class reputation but this cabin does not meet that standard. Everything about it was old,maybe not the bedding, and maybe equal to $ 150-200 a night value,especially considering there is no kitchenette. The restaurant was fantastic. The food was amazing and our server Lisette was fabulous to the point that we always requested her table. She was amazing! and the cocktails were awesome s well. We did enjoy our stay despite the over priced cabin.

Room tip: try a room instead of a cabin
Date of stay: September 2020

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your stay with us. There are many plans in the future to better our product and services with renovations and upgrades. We are glad you enjoyed the restaurant and the service. Lisette is quite the treasure! We hope you will give us the opportunity to service you better in the future.

Reviewed September 11, 2020

When we checked in ... keep in mind this was during the COVID pandemic ... they gave us a room that still had a couple's luggage in it strewn about. Now, that says two things. The first is, they did not clean the room before we arrived (how could they if all the luggage was still there from the last guest ... or current guest?) So they clearly lie about sanitizing during the pandemic, and well, changing the sheets between guests. The second things this says is, you can't trust that other people aren't entering your room randomly because they are double-booking people. In a basically empty hotel mind you, because again - COVID. Inexplicable.

The front desk was incredulous and did not believe us until they checked ... again violating the other guests privacy incidentally. And, oh, not shutting themselves down or even telling the prior guests that strangers had been in their room, possibly touching there things (luckily for them, we bolted as soon as we saw there things ). The front desk offered us a smaller room in exchange, with a bit of an attitude, and two free drink tickets (they didn't bother to ask if we drink... luckily it's something we do on occasion, but can you imagine the insult if they did this to someone who didn't)...

So we go to the restaurant to get that drink before heading into town ... but they have no tables for us, well that is ... until 15 minutes before close, five hours from then. Had a great day in town after passing this all off as a dud of a place and deciding to have a good day despite them, but returned for the reservation five hours later ... to find the restaurant basically empty. EMPTY. So who had the reservations for 15 min before us, right?

Anyhow we made it to the restaurant, and well, the server ignored us until after the kitchen had closed... So the hostess ended up serving us in the meantime, because - you know - the empty restaurant did not leave the servers time to attend to us. We asked the hostess (who was fantastic the whole time; we made sure to tell the front desk how great she was in the end, none of this was HER fault) what the drink tickets would get us ... she had to go ask the servers, who took their sweet time to pay attention to her, as she'd never seen them before. Finally she returns to say they're for whatever, and we order. Finally, after the restaurant was closed, a server approaches us rudely to ask what we were going to order for food (we ordered food in town as who eats at 9pm?) and we just said we were fine to move on, enough damage done. Huffy, she pressured us about getting something, so we explained why we were there. She said nothing and just left. All the while random strangers were literally table hopping around us asking where the table over was from - no social distancing whatsoever.

And ... we had asked upon the pool upon check in, and told we could reserve at the desk. But after we left the restaurant, we we could only reserve the next day at 8am and nothing could be reserved in advance. Okay, maybe this was an innocent mistake. But we had a "view" of the pool from our room and had our eye on it since 7am the next morning, and no one was in it all morning (not one person due to the fog). So we called ... and called ... and no one picked up from the front desk for several hours. We had to jet, so tossed our keys there way and went over to the next place. What if we had a problem you ask rather than a request? Well they never would have known.

I used a Hotels.com gold night on this place and honestly, it was a total waste of points. There are much better places in town, and they just don't care about their business, let alone you. It's a place to sleep, but nothing more. I've been to dozens of high end resorts the world over, and have never seen such disrespect for guests. And seriously ... it started with being checked into a room occupied by others during COVID ... we are just lucky they weren't in the room at the time, and honestly, that they haven't been shut down already for such flagrant health violations.

1  Thank JamesSPC
Paul Stackhouse, General Manager at Digby Pines Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2020

Without question we are very sorry for your experience during your recent stay with us. There also is no question that we are currently operating in very challenging times that require heighten awareness and attention to detail, all of which we take very seriously. So to suggest that we would lie to our guests about sanitizing our guestrooms and other touchpoints is an unfair and unwarranted characterization. Even with all that we do to ensure our guests will experience a safe and healthy environment mistakes can and will still happen, which is what resulted in your being checked into an occupied room. I know that our Guest Service Agents were very much shaken by the situation as well as this is not a situation they take lightly and wanted to respond quickly to.

Regarding the restaurant and pool, we have been working with a number of COVID related restrictions while still trying to service our guests in a consistent and equitable way within the spaces that we have. As a result, there have often been times when the hotel has been at higher occupancies that we have met our maximum capacities and could not accommodate every request or we would need to limit access to facilities such as the pool. While unfortunate and certainly regrettable for us, it is part of the new realities we are currently facing.

Again, on behalf of our entire team we are sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. As always, we do our best to learn from our shortcomings so that we continue to improve for future visitors.