“Great stay!”

Halifax Backpackers Hostel
Halifax Backpackers Hostel
Reviewed 27 April 2017

Although there certainly are hostels with better kitchens, this is the hostel to go to when visiting Halifax staff is very welcoming and nice and atmosphere is great! I felt welcome and felt like I was amongst friends as soon as I stepped through the door. Safety is good, with decent sized lockers provided. The cafe downstairs serves decent coffee and great food.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Halifax Backpackers Hostel

Reviewed 26 April 2017

So where to start
straight of the boat.
Location: Found the place supper easy didnt even need an address i knew what it looked like and i found it 15 easy minutes from downtown. Walking down gottingen you could tell it was the place to be in halifax friendly people on a funky happening street, with the Alteregos and the hostel being the heart.
Greeted by welcoming and friendly staff i felt streight at home.

Hostel and Cafe: Alteregos a good selection of delicious and interesting food with a brand new menu and at a great price the cafe alone is worth coming for. Up stairs your greeted like a family member who's been away. All the guests are friendly and kind with all the stories you could wish for, you could tell there was something special about this place as soon as you walk in. The kitchen is awesome all the cooking utensils you would ever need to make anything you want. clean and functioning facilites. good bunk beds to get a decent nights sleep.
I honestly couldnt recomend this hostel enough.

Peace and love wishing anyone who reads this they enjoy there stay as much as i did

P.S at the start of gottingen one of the best brewerys in halifax the mighty Propeller what more could a man wish for.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 April 2017 via mobile

Halifax Backpackers Hostel is great. I felt like home, met some awesome people and had a lot of fun. It's a good location and the beds are super comfortable. I really enjoyed staying there and definitely recommend it.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 March 2017 via mobile

Alright. How should i put this. I booked a week at the hostel. 140$ for 7 nights, not bad ! When i first called they told me that the hostel was 5 mins walk from the train station. Not really. Its located in a sketchy neighborhood called north end about 30 mins walk from the train station. Ok, i've seen worst, whatever. What really bothered me is this; most of the people who stay in the hostel are long term residents. Yes its winter , not many tourist in town, whatever but i felt like the "guests" really took over the place. Some of them were pretty rude and i did not really feel welcome. ( except the english guy, you're great. ) One of them even put my coat in the lost/found items cause I left it on my chair for like 10 mins. The washroom was pretty dirty when i arrived and no one cleaned it even when i mentioned it. I left my wallet for 5 mins on the table and there was money missing from it . The staff at the café did not even know what bus to take to go downtown and the schedule. This is a hostel, should you be there to help travelers ? Overall i have read the reviews before going and told my self i am gonna give it a try anyway. I give 2 stars cause they have cheap pints of beer for guests and their breakfast sandwich is good. I asked them to refund me and they did . I stayed 2 nights. Iam not gonna say dont go there but be advise. And i will suggest that the owner/staff look into that and take more care about travelers.

Stayed: March 2017
5  Thank jonathan-432
Reviewed 17 February 2017

I only stayed one night, but their service was outstanding! I arrived during the crazy storm in Feb 2017, and though their door was closed from the weather, their staff had stayed up late waiting for me to arrive - I got there around 9:15pm.
The facilities were clean, the showers were nice, the other guests were chill. And in the morning, Steph spent close to a half hour on the phone to call a taxi for me. I was blown away.

Room Tip: I had a squeaky bed on the lower bunk, left side of room 7. Any other bed should be great.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Peter V
Reviewed 7 November 2016

I stayed here for about a month and was a lot of fun. Staff are super friendly and welcoming, always there to help. Place is clean, around a lot of nice cafes, 15 minute walk to town and around the corner from the commons. Really social hostel and has its own Cafe. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 September 2016

The staff is very nice and there is a cafeteria downstairs. The room was quite big, and I was lucky to sleep in a 6 bed dorm, just with another girl. It takes about 8 minutes by walk to the downtown, which is not very big. I've never been out at the evening, because I was too afraid to retourn back to the hostel by myself. There were all the time lots of homeless and creepy people.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo