“Great alternative to a hotel”

Saint Mary's University Residence Summer Accomodation
Saint Mary's University Residence Summer Accomodation
Reviewed 15 August 2017

We had hotels booked for our two week road trip through Nova scotia and decided to save a few bucks in pricey Halifax by staying at the university. We were pleasantly surprised. It was clean and spacious. We had a 4 bed apartment with a small kitchenette and fridge. For our family of 4 it was perfect. Parking was tight but we made it work. The breakfast was the best we have head at all our locations. Lots of choice and quality was good. Dining hall feel was good and lots of room to sit! I would definitely stay again. It was warm, but aside from that it was a good alternative to a pricey hotel near downtown Halifax.

Room Tip: Rice residence is a good walk from breakfast but you can stay indoors for the whole walk.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Frankie I

Reviewed 10 July 2017

It's about what you'd expect from a university residence - extremely basic, functional, and spartan. The wifi worked pretty well, parking was tight, the included breakfast pretty good overall (or at least lots to eat), but the rooms were small, bathrooms shared, and beds very small if you stayed in the singles rooms. Don't expect hotel amenities, but if you don't expect them the stay is fine. We were a basketball team in for a weekend tournament, and it worked well for our purposes.

Room Tip: Get rooms by the main exit where parking is - otherwise it's quite a walk.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kenneth A
Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

No AC, no fridge, no tv, no elevator. Good thing temp is about 15 degrees celcius. Not advisable if you are visiting during summer months.
Pros - walking distance to downtown proper plus there is a bus stop available - Bus no 9. Cheapest accommodation in Halifax. Room and common bathroom are clean. From airport you can take bus 320 then transfer to bus 9 at duke and Barrington

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank bonel_pogi
Reviewed 27 June 2017

After a stressful travel day (late flight, missed shuttle, shuttle breakdown on the highway, taxi to St. Mary's), my cousin arrived with my printed gift reservation information and MasterCard info and was refused unless she paid cash on the spot. My cousin is one of those folks who just doesn't like credit cards and so she doesn't have one. I respect that. Apparently, St. Mary's doesn't. St. Mary's lost a future client. Including my entire extended family.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

First of all, this is a university residence, not a hotel, so if you're looking for a hotel - don't stay here. However, if you're looking for cheap, comfortable, with lots included, then this place could be for you.

Small, dated and well used rooms, but very comfortable- so if you're just looking for somewhere to sleep, this is perfect. You have to share a a toilet and shower room, but the apartments weren't fully booked so availability wasn't an issue and I didn't see any other residents.

Great value: price includes parking, all you can eat breakfast, internet, use of gym and sports facilities. My room was warm though, but there are fans available to borrow if you're not too lazy like I am to go and get one.

My only complaint is that the booking company I used didn't give clear instructions where to check in - I spent almost half an hour trying to find the residence and reception.

I would stay there again.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 June 2017 via mobile

I stayed near the Halifax harbour front in March and got a good hotel rate but in June the rates are now much higher.
With 3 people we got a 3 bedroom apartment in residence.
For $129 plus tax it was a good deal. It is a 25 minute walk to the harbour front but there are steep hills along the way. Okay,I drove.
Fìrst of aĺl it is a university residence. The beds were Okay. They provided towels which was nice. The bedrooms are a good size.The apartment had a fridge, stove and microwave. NOTE. It does not come with lots, pans, plates or cutlery. But for saving restaurant money it is excellent.
There is no living room or TV but I would stay here again during hotel high season rates.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2017

This should not be seen as a hotel as the experience is vastly different if you are in the dorms. The room had two single beds, not King single, so if you are tall, this could be a problem. They were clean, but prepare to share the one bathroom between a few people. Soap, towels, sheets and a paper bath mat were provided for each person in the room. However, there are no coffee making facilities and I found not having a mirror in the room a bit hard. The rooms were very warm and it took us a while to figure out that two windows are needed to be opened to let fresh air in. We found that the rooms aren't strictly soundproof. We could hear the movie that was being played a few rooms away. Getting to the room was problematic as Varnier House is like a rabbit warren. Secondly, the receptionist didn't clearly explain how to access the room. We had to get her to show us. Once we had mastered it, it was fine. The last thing is that there is a lack of power points for charging phones etc. Where there are some, they are hard to locate under the desk. I don't know how the students cope! The breakfast was ok and there was free parking on site which had a security guard checking on it.

Room Tip: The three room apartment appeared quite good in Rice House, if you were travelling with a three coup...
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple