“Prince George Hotel”

Prince George Hotel
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Good hotel, excellent central location in heart of city. Has excellent restaurant in hotel and easy walk (by street or by pedway) to other fine restaurants and venues. Good service. Only critique is that the pool (very lovely pool) is not wheelchair accessible in winter (wheelchair users must go outside to enter pool area at grade). They were very good to my little dog. Very pet friendly.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Penny C, Guest Relations Manager at Prince George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Thanks so much for your feedback. Very glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay. Our swimming pool is wheelchair accessible, as you point out, from the outside deck of the hotel. Realize that this is not perfect - especially in winter - but we would offer every assistance to make it happen!
I do hope that The Prince George will again be your hotel of choice in Halifax.
Penny C

Reviewed 29 January 2012

Got a good deal at the Prince George, very friendly personnel. The breakfast was superb. The room fairly dark caused by dark wooden furniture and low ceiling. Overall state of the room was good. The view was nice. And the location to the center at walking distance was good.

Room Tip: ask for ocean view and a floor higher than second.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Penny C, Guest Relations Manager at Prince George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

Thank you so much for your review of The Prince George. So glad you chose us for your New Year celebrations!! We are very close to Parade Square, the New Year's Eve Concert and Fireworks - so the hotel is usually "hopping" on December 31st! Appreciate your feedback regarding the room - we are continually replacing and improving our furnishings and will be changing the mahogany in the future. Thanks again and very best wishes for 2012!

Reviewed 25 January 2012

This was my second stay at the Prince George. My spouse and I enjoyed a weekend birthday getaway with the "living large" special for two nights. This package includes an executive suite, valet parking, wine and fruit and a hot breakfast. A late checkout (3 pm) was also included in this package. The room was gorgeous - separate sitting room with wet bar, bedroom and huge bathroom with air massage tub. Everything was spotless and like new. Two huge tv's, great view of the city, aveda soaps, bath salts etc. The fruit platter was good and the wine was chilled waiting for us when we arrived. We booked the package for two nights but did not recieve wine and fruit the second night though the room charge for each night was identical. This is unecesary scrimping in my opinion and is the only reason I haven't given the hotel an excellent instead of a very good overall rating.
We ordered a platter of charcuterie and the lobster crab cakes the first night for a light dinner. Both were good, my only comment is that the charcuterie is very heavy on cheese and light on bread to eat with it.
We slept in and missed breakfast the first morning but we had a room service hot breakfast the second morning (good quality). On checkout the staff credited our room service breakfast toward the free restaurant hot breakfast included in the package.
We enjoyed the hotel pool and hot tub located on the second floor.
Service was prompt and excellent.
The location in downtowen Halifax cannot be beat; this is a great city for shopping and dining and we had a lovely weekend. We also had a wonderful dinner at the nearby Press Gang. In fact we didn't have to use our rental car all weekend - you can find almost anything you are looking for in the area around the hotel.
The hotel restaurant was not open when we stayed there (renovations) but we did not miss it having plenty other places to choose from. The in-room dining option was still available.
Granted, this hotel is very expensive; but it is lovely, and the service is fantastic. I recommend it highly for a splurge on special occassions.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for such a thorough and excellent review of The Prince George. I am so glad that you enjoyed our Living Large package and delighted with your kind comments on our service and location. Our new Executive Suites have proven to be very popular and we are proud to showcase them as part of this package!

I am so sorry that you did not receive the fruit and wine which is part of the Living Large package on the second night. This is completely the fault of the hotel and should definitely have been supplied on your second night as well. In fact, we usually provide something a little different on the second night of the package. Apologies, as I realize this was your only disappointment - and it was our oversight. Please get in touch with me should you book again, and I would be more than happy to arrange a welcome amenity on your next stay to make up for our error.

Thanks again for your lovely detailed review. Hope to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed 19 January 2012

We decided to go to Nova Scotia the day after Christmas. We wanted to stay at an elegant hotel and enjoy all of the amenities. The hotel had good ratings and LOTS of availability (booked at maybe less than 30%). I asked for a discount on a suite and we were given only a small break. Since the hotel was so empty they could of given us a suite with a nicer view (we faced the back street) but they chose not to. The hotel is lovely and the rooms are very comfortable and clean. The hotel houses one of the best restaurants in Halifax and we were looking forward to some great room service dinners every evening. We have a 7 year old child and it was VERY COLD and WINDY outside so room service was our plan. What the front desk completely failed to tell us was that the restaurant was closed over the holidays and that there would be no dinner room service during our entire 5 day stay. The first night we were told that they might open the next day. When they did open there was still no room service because the staff was off for the holidays. We had to order out every night and each dinner was worse than the night before. We ended up cutting our stay a day short and went out to a restaurant on the last night. Much of the staff was given the holidays off. There was not even housekeeping staff on duty in the evenings. A hotel such as this should be fully staffed and provide all advertised services 365 days a year. It would have been fair of them to charge half price for the room since all of these services were missing due to all the holiday vacations given to hotel staff. The people that worked for the breakfast room service, the day time concierge and the day time housekeepers were all wonderful. The front desk staff that left MUCH to be desired. They were basically unhelpful, cold and in some cases, passive aggressive. They definitely left out lots of information that would of made us reconsider coming to this hotel (No room service, No Evening housekeeping, extra $23 a day for parking, etc...). I had asked to speak to the hotel manager but he was ALSO OFF FOR THE HOLIDAYS. Good for all those guys not having to work during the Christmas-New Year Week and a big TOUGH LUCK and PAY UP for us. This was no way to treat your guests.
People staying here during non-holiday times should have a better experience.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank x-well-traveled

Thanks for your review - and please accept our most sincere apologies for the disappointments during Christmas week. I am deeply sorry that you were not advised when you booked with us that we were operating with limited services during the time between Christmas and New Year. This is clearly unacceptable and has since been discussed with our Reservations team. I have noted all of your comments and observations and very much regret that our lack of food & beverage service in the evening caused you such inconvenience. Although this does not excuse the fact that you were not advised of our limited service, we have historically, always given as many staff as possible the days off between Christmas and New Year so that they can spend time with family, arrange vacation and simply relax after the hectic schedule leading up to Christmas. It is true that we seem to be getting more bookings than in the past during Christmas week and we may have to re-visit our policy in the future.

If you consider staying with us again, please contact me directly and I will do my utmost to ensure that everything is perfect and ensure you leave with a much better impression.

Your feedback is very important to us and we appreciate the time you spend in writing this review.

Reviewed 17 January 2012

I have to say this hotel is simply beutiful. The staff go above and beyond and its just an incredibly lovely experience to stay there.
It is close to the downtown attractions and I honestly don't think you could ever wish for more. I personally thought it was a little slice of Heaven and will be returning for sure. They knew It was my birthday and surprised me with a lovely birthday desert. The staff are all very kind and more than helpful.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the crown rooms and were treated to a wonderful breakfast in our room.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

What lovely comments - thanks so much. Delighted to learn that you spent your birthday with us and everything went so well. Hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 15 January 2012

I stayed at the Prince George hotel in August 2011 when visiting Halifax on business. This hotel was fantastic, the service was awesome and you must try its restaurant (Gio). I had originally booked the Delta Barrington and switched to the Prince George during my stay. I wished I had booked in the first place. My room was very clean and comfortable. The bed was great!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your feedback! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us - especially since you had moved from the Delta. Appreciate your kind comments on our service and Four Diamond restaurant, Gio.

Hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed 14 January 2012

As a former Haligonian, I can't imagine a better location from which to explore Halifax than the Prince George. Sure, you could stay on the waterfront, but I vote for the heart of the action. The nightlife in the Argyle St area is at your doorstep, and you are close to the convention center, the Grand Parade, and the Metro Center (the sports and concert venue). My family stayed at the PG in June 2011, and we enjoyed our two room suite. Our teen liked her pullout bed in the living room, and we loved our very comfortable King in the bedroom. It was very clean and roomy, modern, and well-appointed. Service was kind, prompt, and courteous (as you should expect in Halifax). It was not cheap, but we got good value. The restaurant was fine, but there are less expensive, more fun, and much cheaper restaurants a hop, skip, and jump away. When I looked at the menu, my impression was that it was pretentious, but when the meal was delivered I changed my opinion because the quality of the meal was excellent. However, if you are not too tired to move, walk a block to one of Halifax's boisterous and friendly taverns and have a great cheap pub meal. Why didn't I give the PG 5 stars? Because I reserve those only for those hotels that you will remember fondly for the rest of your life. However, PG was truly excellent in my books.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family