“A comfortable end to our Trans Canada trip.”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Halifax
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Houston, Texas
“A comfortable end to our Trans Canada trip.”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We finished our Vancouver to Halifax Via Rail trip at the Delta Halifax Hotel. We had a very spacious room with a nice view of the harbor. It was quite comfortable and had a decent restaurant.

Room Tip: Go for a good harbor view!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Halifax, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Greeting's from Delta Halifax,

Thank you for choosing us on your recent visit... we are very happy to have been included in your cross country travel plans! Its great to hear you enjoyed the view of Halifax Harbour from your room... our fantastic water view's are a real asset to our hotel. We are glad you had a chance to experience Harbour City Bar and Grill during your stay... it opened last June and has been a great addition... would also like to note it was chosen as Halifax's restaurant of the year in 2011.

Thank you for choosing us! We look forward in welcoming you back the next time you are travelling to the east!

donnie.macdonald@deltahotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Conception Bay South, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This was my first stay at this Hotel. It was very conveniently located with a lot of amenities within walking distance. The room was adequate for our needs but the staff were exceptional, very helpful and friendly who went above and beyond to help you. We ate quite often at the restaurant for breakfast and dinner during our 4 day stay and enjoyed everything that we had. Very well done and thye prices were good. My daughter and her family of 5 stayed there as well and they said that they would go back again. Overall, I found it to be a great place to stay and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: it was a little noisier in the area of the pool and fitness room. There were elevators also located...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JDawe
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Halifax, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Greeting's from Delta Halifax!

Thank yo very much for including us in your family's travel plans! We can't thank you enough for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are very pleased to have read your comments regarding our hotel and service offering's. Harbour City Bar and Grill was named Halifax's 2011 Restaurant of the year... we are thrilled you had an opportunity to enjoy the room... we are all very proud of Harbour City!

We really appreciate your recommendation! My email address is below... please feel free to call upon me anytime should you need us.

donnie.macdonald@deltahotels.com
Ottawa
Reviewed 29 March 2012

For years, I've been a fan of Delta Hotels, and have promoted the hotel to others especially my work colleagues with whom I travel. Delta provide a safe 'home away from home' with clean and comfortable rooms where I can get a good night sleep. Their restaurants provide great food at a surprisingly reasonable price. Tonight, I plan to dine with friends in the restaurant here at the Delta Halifax.

However with all this said, the best secret about Delta is not the hotel itself but the people who work there. Today, I checked into the Delta Halifax where I was greeted by Nicole who made me feel like I was the most important customer who came through the door. Her welcoming smile and manner made me feel like I had reconnected with an old friend. She is a professional who enjoys her job. In fact, everyone you speak to in this hotel looks like they do, too. Am I surprised? No as these professionals want each and every guest to have a memorable stay.

As per my room (604), it is clean and very comfortable with a king size bed, sofa, and desk. There is a large window, which provides a partial view of the Halifax Harbour, and of Citadel Hill with its historic fort. The bathroom is small but clean, and well stocked with towels for my needs. The large flat screen TV's picture is clear and bright, and there is an in-room fridge for my use.

I will definitely return to this Delta property.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank gpbc
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Halifax, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Hello from Delta Halifax!

Thank you very much for your continued loyalty toward our brand and hotel... we really appreciate you taking the time to write such an extensive review!

Nicole is one of our superstar employees! She was recently promoted to the position of Guest Services Manager. This was an easy decision for us and well deserved for her... she along with all of our colleagues are true hospitality professionals. It is those folks that differentiate us from the rest!

My email is below I would love an opportunity to meet you during your next visit. Thanks again for sharing feedback with us and your continued support!

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2012

For a change, I decided to give the Delta Halifax a try during my last visit in Halifax (I usually stay at the sister property - the Delta Barrington - which is just in front of this hotel). It had been close to 10 years since my last visit to the Delta Halifax.

First - a little bit of history. Delta acquired the management rights to this property a little over 10 years ago when Delta had just been taken over by CP Hotels/Fairmont. At the time, CP rebranded most of its mid-tier hotels that were in needs of renovations to the Delta brand. Other than the common areas, not much has been done to the rooms since the acquisition. This year, Delta appears to be embarking in a Canada-wide redo of most of these older properties that were acquired at the time (from CP and other firms). Not sure if there are plans to update the rooms at this property.

The check-in and lobby area is quite modern and still has a little bit of that premium CP/Fairmont feel to it. Staff is very friendly and check-in was efficient.

As a top tier member of the Delta Privilege program, I was upgraded to a nice, oversized suite. Layout of the room was convenient (separater sleeping and living area) with ample room to move around in both areas. Decor and furniture were not the most modern but this is ok as it gave the place a "Halifax" feel to it. Room was clean and everything in working order. The room featured several windows which provided great views of the bridge and limited view of the harbour area. Bathroom featured the standard June Jacobs amenities, which I am not particularly found of (not very effective). There was only one negative about the room: AC/heating is using through the wall unit, which does not provide adequate air circulation and heating power. Housekeeping staff had to crank up the AC/heater to 27C (about 80F) in the living room area so that the room feels comfortable.

I used the onsite restaurant for breakfast only. Service is quick and friendly and the standard breakfast buffet is of good quality.

Location is good as it is within walking distance of the "historic properties" area, harbour, casino and some shopping.

Good for the business traveller. Decent for visitors and families looking for a relatively affordable option downtown Halifax

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ottwatrvllr
Greeting's from Delta Halifax,

We appreciate you taking the time to write such an extensive review of our property and on your recent stay with us. I remember well when we re-branded in 1999 to Delta from CP... I actually have the the front page Halifax Herald clipping framed on my desk... I was the door person at the time dawning a nice new Delta Shirt in the shot! As a Platinum Plus member and along time member of our community I would love to meet you and share some old stories over a cup of coffee (my email is below) if we can!

We did last June undergo an extensive lobby reno and opened the new Harbour City Bar and Grill. We currently do not have a date on a renovation for our rooms however as you mentioned the company does have a plan to transform and renovate the entire portfolio within the next few years. This summer we will be doing a similar reno at Delta Barrington (lobby and new restaurant). We have the name TEMPO and are working on the design and culture / feel.

Thank you for your continued loyalty... I hope to be able to meet during your next visit to Halifax.

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I have stayed two separate times at the Delta Halifax. First time with my daughter in August, 2011 when we travelled to take her to school in Wolfville, Nova Scotia at Acadia University. The second was the October Thanksgiving long weekend of 2011 when my husband and I travelled out to visit her. The Delta Halifax is a two minute walk to the Historic Properties and a five to 30 minute walk to everywhere downtown, including The Citadel. Numerous excellent restaurants on the waterfront. The Delta Halifax had the best rate for a hotel of it's quality that I could find on the internet. Front desk staff are very helpful, especially when my daughter forgot her wallet at home and it had to couriered to us. Rooms are clean and the size is typical and adequate. The restaurant in the hotel is quite nice with local seafood dishes and a nice selection of wines, including some local ones.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank WorkToTravel_12
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Halifax, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Greeting's from Delta Halifax,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share feedback from your past two stays with us. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stays and hope we can continue to be in your travel plans on all future trips to Halifax.

We are thrilled you had an opportunity to experience Harbour City Bar and Grill located in our lobby... 2011 was a fantastic inaugural year for them having been awarded Halifax's Restaurant of the Year by the Chronicle Herald. It was also recognized for having the best Nova Scotia wine list as well as winning dessert of the year from our chef created Parade of Sail!

Thanks for choosing us! We look forward to your return. My email is below... please feel free to call upon me personally to assist with your next reservation.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Stayed here recently for 2 nights while in town for work. The hotel is in a good location with many restaurants and pubs around. The lobby is very nice, and was recently renovated I believe. The rooms are average (I believe they are being renovated next). The bed was quite comfy, the bathroom was a fair size (only complaint was the water pressure - quite low). The service at checkin and checkout was very frienndly and better than many 4 star hotels. We did try the restaurant on site which was also very good. I would say this hotel is a very good 3.5 star option, and would definitely stay here again on my next visit.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank d1289
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Halifax, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Greeting's from Delta Halifax!

Thanks very much for choosing us on your recent visit to Halifax. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. We did last year undergo an extensive lobby renovation and opened our new restaurant... Harbour City Bar and Grill. While not currently scheduled our rooms will be the next renovation project. We are very pleased to read your comments on our service levels... we believe the service levels from our employee's is our point of difference from our competitors.

Thanks again for staying with us... we really appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 26 February 2012

(Late review - stayed Sept 2010)
I was in town for both a Health & Safety Conference and for personal reasons. Stayed in this hotel for a week and half.
I remember it being clean, staff were friendly and the bed was comfortable.
GREAT location! Close to the water, pubs, restaurants, etc...
I personally would rather stay at the Four Points Sheraton up the road, which I stayed at 2005.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Johnnygeo
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Halifax, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Greeting's from Delta Halifax,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review from your stay in September 2011. We are pleased to read you enjoyed your extended stay with us. We hope you will consider us again should your travels take you back to Halifax. My email is below... please feel free to contact me directly to assist with your next Halifax reservation.