“Great stay....beware of $17 parking!”

Atlantica Hotel Halifax
Ranked #19 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
St. George, New Brunswick, Canada
“Great stay....beware of $17 parking!”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My wife and I had a romantic getaway for New Year's Eve and had a great stay. Friendly service, nice hotel, good price. My only problem was the staff not being up front with the cost of the underground parking. When I received the additional invoice for the parking, I took it with me to checkout. When asking about the big charge, she didn't even respond. I noticed other customers with the same invoice in their hands. I think many of us were surprised at the cost.

Other than that, a pleasant stay at the hotel. It's very centrally located and within walking distance of the great downtown. In summer you could walk through the botanical gardens to get to the water.

The only other quam was the hottub could've been hotter!

2 Thank billyrotten
DOSAtlantica, Director of Sales at Atlantica Hotel Halifax, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay. It was wonderful to hear that you and your wife were able to enjoy a romantic time away at our hotel. We appreciate being part of your New Year’s Eve celebration! Our heated underground parking charge is very competitive with prices charged in our downtown core and is noted on our website and on the registration card at check in. However, I certainly apologize if these charges were not clearly communicated to you prior to the day of departure. On your next visit to the city, you may wish to consider some of the excellent packages that we offer which include parking and/or deluxe continental breakfast. They definitely offer a true added value. Thank you for choosing the Atlantica Hotel Halifax. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit. It’s never too soon for another romantic getaway!
Colleen Forward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Nb Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2012

This is a nice hotel, with all the conveniences,, pool ,parking close to shopping, etc,. it is a fairly pricey hotel unless you can get a deal online, ( which we did with priceline). They have a restaurant ,in the hotel. it is formerly Holiday inn.. I would stay here again, but not at the regular price.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Doggerm
Thank you for sharing your comments on your stay. It was wonderful to note that you enjoyed the hotel and our great facilities including heated underground parking (always a plus especially during the winter), the indoor pool at the Leisure Club and our excellent in house restaurant, Seasons by Atlantica. The hotel offers travelers wonderful value, particularly with some of our featured packages. Again, thank you for your feedback and for choosing the Atlantica Hotel Halifax. We hope to see you again in the future.
Miscouche
Reviewed 4 January 2012

This was our 3rd stay at this particular hotel and it was very nice. The employees were very helpful and went out of their way (at each visit) to help us. We requested an upgrade from two double beds to one queen, and because this was unavailable, we were upgraded to a much nicer room for free. Overall an easy and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jon B
Thank you so much for your comments. We are very proud of the customer service that our colleagues offer our guests and truly believe the genuine warmth and friendliness of their guests interaction is what sets us apart. You must have upgraded to one our newly renovated Atlantica Gold or Executive Level guestrooms; an excellent choice as these rooms feature a number of additional premium amenities and fabulous city views. Thank you again for sharing your experience. We appreciate yoru business and look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Kingston, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 22 December 2011

My wife and I went to the Atlantica the first night to celebrate our fifteenth wedding anniversary. The place is OK with several updates from the time it used to be a Holiday Inn. It is actually very comfortable with helpful staff. We had a suite with a king-sized bed, which was very nice, but the problem came in the middle of the night. At about 2:30 am, the fire alarm started to sound. When we looked out the door, the building was evacuating to the lobby and everyone was to take the stairs. We were on the seventh floor which was bad enough, but the folks on the fifteenth must have been exhausted by the time they got to the lobby. As it turns out, it was a false alarm, but the fire trucks were there, and all the firemen were roving about within the hotel to try and find the problem. That pretty much destroyed the rest of the night as far as getting any rest. This hotel does not offer any complimentary breakfast of any sort, which was a little disappointing considering the calibur of the hotel. Upon check-out, all we received was a "sorry" about what had happend. I wasn't looking for anything in particular from them except some decent PR which I found lacking. Probably on any normal stay, this hotel would have been fine, but it sure is nice to have some toast and a coffee in the morning before check out, that just wasn't there.

2 Thank TLCross
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I recently stayed at the Atlantica Hotel in Halifax and I have to admit I was impressed. I stayed on the 15th floor for my one night visit and had no concerns. Check in was smooth and the agent was quite friendly. Breakfast the next morning was "OK" - everything seemed to be a bit over the top for me.... I was just looking for some bacon and eggs but I had more ramekins, dishes, cups, spreads, cutlery, etc on my table than I would have ever needed. Overall a pleasant stay in another great Halifax hotel.

Room Tip: Don't forget.... they have a pool.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 17 December 2011

My father recently had open heart surgery and my mother and I needed a hotel during our stay in Halifax. The Atlantica offered us a special rate for family members of patients, gave us free parking, and was only 5 minute walk to the hospital.

We were consistently impressed by the caring attitude of the staff towards us, often offering us (often complimentary) extra services. The manager was also very understanding of our circumstances and was willing to negotiate the rate when our stay ended up being extended.

As for the hotel, it was very clean, quiet and ideally located. The restaurant was also excellent.

This was an exceptionally comfortable and convenient place to stay during a very difficult time. Bravo Atlantica!

Room Tip: The sixth floor was very quiet when we stayed there. Try to get a room near the centre of the hall...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Alan M
New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed 11 December 2011

I booked a room at the Atlantica on Expedia. The main reason for choosing the hotel was the location as I was having eye surgery at the nearby Halifax Vision Centre on Chebucto Road.

We arrived at the hotel around 8:30pm on December 8th, 2011 (Thursday). When I walked into the hotel lobby to check into our room my initial thought was that it was a very nice hotel. After checking in I went back to our vehicle and proceeded to park in their underground parking for an additional fee of $17.00 per night.

We proceeded to find our room, which was pretty easy to do from the underground parking. We opened the room and turned on the lights and had immediate disappointment. The first thing we noticed in the room was the ceiling which appeared like it was falling down and had a serious water leak previously. After the ceiling our sights went to the curtains which were completely wrinkled with the hems coming out of the bottom. The 2 armchairs in the room where so dirty the arms were black. The wallpaper in the room was lifting at the seams in many places. We turned on the television to find the reception on the television was snowy on many of the channels. We considered complaining; however, with a 7:30am surgery appointment we just wanted to get settled. Our main concern was that the beds and linens were clean, which they were.

I got up early the next morning to get ready for surgery, had a shower, only to discover the hair dryer wouldn't work without resetting the breaker several times. I attempted to call the front desk to complain and found the "Guest Services" button on the phone wouldn't work. I then used the "Room Service" button on the phone and asked them to transfer me to the front desk which they did....only to hear an endless ring that was never answered.....I gave up and went to my surgery wih wet hair.

Apart from our obvious frustrations mentioned above there were a few good things with our stay as well. The beds in our room were very comfortable and clean. The hotel seemed to be quiet in our area which was nice as following surgery I slept alot during the day. The elevators were quick and readily available. The location was only 5 minutes away from the eye clinic and close to grocery stores, shops and restaurants.

We also happened to see relatives at the hotel during our stay. We inquired with them about their room and were surprised to hear theirs was very nice. It would appear that the hotel uses these "below standard" rooms to give to the people booking rooms on sites like Expedia and Hotwire. When checking in the hotel employee mentioned "hotwire" a few times and even wrote HOTWIRE on our key card. While I can understand their logic doing this I don't think they have considered the impact this could have. For example I come to Halifax quite often for personal and business purposes. If I would have had a more desireable stay I very likely would have used this hotel in subsequent visits; however, after this stay I most likely will not stay here again nor would recommend anyone else to do so.

I have included photos we took during our stay. As you will see this room is in immediate need of renovation and new or professionally cleaned furniture.

Room Tip: Do not accept the 6th floor!
7 Thank CoolCanuckChick
DOSAtlantica, Director of Sales at Atlantica Hotel Halifax, responded to this review, 19 December 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent experience at the Atlantica Hotel Halifax. I do want to sincere apologize for the less than satisfactory condition of your guestroom. We do have a detailed ongoing maintenance and deep cleaning program in place, but certainly based on your comments, it does seem that your room was missed in this process. Our maintenance and housekeeping team are very proud of the work they do and the standard of product quality that is provided to our valued guests and they will most certainly be taking immediate steps to correct the situation you describe.
All our guests are extremely important to us regardless of how or where they make their reservations. Any notation regarding Hotwire on the guest key pack is only there to indicate that the room has been prepaid by Hotwire and certainly not to indicate any difference in service levels or product offered. We will, based on your comments regarding the possible guest impact of this procedure be revisiting this process immediately.
I definitely appreciate your frustration and disappointment and do hope you will have an opportunity to return for a stay much more in keeping with our usual levels of service and product quality.
Best Regards,