“Good, but not Great”

Ranked #19 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Ottawa, Canada
“Good, but not Great”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Three family members and I stayed at this hotel from the 23 to the 28th of January due to a medical emergency involving a very close family member. The "hospital rate" the hotel offerred was a very pleasant surprise, and I preface this narrative by noting that, for the price we paid, the value of this hotel was exceptional. I'm not going to sit here and attempt to trash the hotel or its staff, as they were generally very good. However, if travelling to this hotel, one should be aware of certain aspects. The hotel was unbelievably cold. As a man who is normally referred to as a furnace by my wife, I found myself with numb hands and a nursing a constant chill in all common areas and particularly the elevators. The rooms were cool as well, and the air conditioning/heating units in the two rooms we occupied had seen better days. The unit in our room was cranked all the way to 86 degrees and continued to blow ice cold air. On day two or three, we managed to coax it into blowing some warmer air. The breakfast buffet was very comprehensive, but both of the egg dishes looked like they had been sitting out in the warming tray for hours (ie a lovely skin on the scrambled eggs). If you choose to order breakfast from the menu, build in some extra time - although the food is generally very good, the service is slooooow. Expect 30-45 mins to receive your breakfast order.(on average) On the upside, they had a three or four person live jazz band play the "Seasons" lounge on Thursday and Friday night. I would have paid to see them, without question. (yes, they were that good). Free wireless - definate plus. Free parking (with the hospital special), another definate plus. Therein lay the conflict. There were a lot of positive aspects of the hotel, some which were well above expectations, though in the same breath, there are also a number of disappointments - things that really wouldn't take much to fix at all, if they had taken the time to address them. As a result, I am left wanting to rate this hotel higher, but I just can't do it. It was good, but not great. In understand this is an old Holiday Inn, taken over by the Atlantica group. One employee described it as management "going at it alone" to take over the hotel and manage it. Perhaps they just don't have their business model perfected yet.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Rob_S_987
DOSAtlantica, Director of Sales at Atlantica Hotel Halifax, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I am pleased that you were able to take advantage of our excellent hospital program which offers a very special guestroom rate, complimentary parking, and a discount in Seasons restaurant. The program does offer a great value for those who have medical appointments or are visiting family or friends at city’s hospitals. We certainly value and appreciate your comments and do want to assure you that the few issues you noted such as the guest room & lobby heating unit will be reviewed with the maintenance team. Again, we appreciate your business. Hope that your next visit to Halifax will strictly be for pleasure and that you will be back to enjoy the great Thursday night entertainment in Seasons Lounge.
Best Regards,
Colleen Forward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Halifax Nova Scotia
Reviewed 28 January 2012

My hubby and I got a great deal online for this hotel so went to stay for night. The front desk staff were very pleasant and professional. When we were there they had a jazz band going in the lounge which I believe may be a regular thing.

Considering that the hotel is on a busy street I was surprised how quiet it was. Only work up once during the night and that was due to an ambulance leaving the nearby hospital.

The beds are comfortable but the rooms although clean could definitely use some refurbishment. Underground parking is expensive there and they could use more lights in the underground garage. There is a lot of free parking around the hotel if you take the time to look.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Timbitgirl
Thank you so much for your comments. Great to hear that you enjoyed our regular Thursday night entertainment in Seasons Lounge and also that you found the hotel to be a quiet place to stay. Our beds are definitely a hit with our guests and actually a number of guests have purchased the same type of bed through us for their own homes! On your next stay, please take a look at some of the value-added packages that are available. Many offer inclusions such as complimentary parking and/or free breakfast. You should also try our brand new Executive or Gold level floors which are totally renovated and offer a number of additional premium amenities. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
St. George, New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My wife and I had a romantic getaway for New Year's Eve and had a great stay. Friendly service, nice hotel, good price. My only problem was the staff not being up front with the cost of the underground parking. When I received the additional invoice for the parking, I took it with me to checkout. When asking about the big charge, she didn't even respond. I noticed other customers with the same invoice in their hands. I think many of us were surprised at the cost.

Other than that, a pleasant stay at the hotel. It's very centrally located and within walking distance of the great downtown. In summer you could walk through the botanical gardens to get to the water.

The only other quam was the hottub could've been hotter!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank billyrotten
Thank you very much for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay. It was wonderful to hear that you and your wife were able to enjoy a romantic time away at our hotel. We appreciate being part of your New Year’s Eve celebration! Our heated underground parking charge is very competitive with prices charged in our downtown core and is noted on our website and on the registration card at check in. However, I certainly apologize if these charges were not clearly communicated to you prior to the day of departure. On your next visit to the city, you may wish to consider some of the excellent packages that we offer which include parking and/or deluxe continental breakfast. They definitely offer a true added value. Thank you for choosing the Atlantica Hotel Halifax. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit. It’s never too soon for another romantic getaway!
Nb Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2012

This is a nice hotel, with all the conveniences,, pool ,parking close to shopping, etc,. it is a fairly pricey hotel unless you can get a deal online, ( which we did with priceline). They have a restaurant ,in the hotel. it is formerly Holiday inn.. I would stay here again, but not at the regular price.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Doggerm
Thank you for sharing your comments on your stay. It was wonderful to note that you enjoyed the hotel and our great facilities including heated underground parking (always a plus especially during the winter), the indoor pool at the Leisure Club and our excellent in house restaurant, Seasons by Atlantica. The hotel offers travelers wonderful value, particularly with some of our featured packages. Again, thank you for your feedback and for choosing the Atlantica Hotel Halifax. We hope to see you again in the future.
Miscouche
Reviewed 4 January 2012

This was our 3rd stay at this particular hotel and it was very nice. The employees were very helpful and went out of their way (at each visit) to help us. We requested an upgrade from two double beds to one queen, and because this was unavailable, we were upgraded to a much nicer room for free. Overall an easy and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jon B
Thank you so much for your comments. We are very proud of the customer service that our colleagues offer our guests and truly believe the genuine warmth and friendliness of their guests interaction is what sets us apart. You must have upgraded to one our newly renovated Atlantica Gold or Executive Level guestrooms; an excellent choice as these rooms feature a number of additional premium amenities and fabulous city views. Thank you again for sharing your experience. We appreciate yoru business and look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Kingston, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 22 December 2011

My wife and I went to the Atlantica the first night to celebrate our fifteenth wedding anniversary. The place is OK with several updates from the time it used to be a Holiday Inn. It is actually very comfortable with helpful staff. We had a suite with a king-sized bed, which was very nice, but the problem came in the middle of the night. At about 2:30 am, the fire alarm started to sound. When we looked out the door, the building was evacuating to the lobby and everyone was to take the stairs. We were on the seventh floor which was bad enough, but the folks on the fifteenth must have been exhausted by the time they got to the lobby. As it turns out, it was a false alarm, but the fire trucks were there, and all the firemen were roving about within the hotel to try and find the problem. That pretty much destroyed the rest of the night as far as getting any rest. This hotel does not offer any complimentary breakfast of any sort, which was a little disappointing considering the calibur of the hotel. Upon check-out, all we received was a "sorry" about what had happend. I wasn't looking for anything in particular from them except some decent PR which I found lacking. Probably on any normal stay, this hotel would have been fine, but it sure is nice to have some toast and a coffee in the morning before check out, that just wasn't there.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TLCross
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I recently stayed at the Atlantica Hotel in Halifax and I have to admit I was impressed. I stayed on the 15th floor for my one night visit and had no concerns. Check in was smooth and the agent was quite friendly. Breakfast the next morning was "OK" - everything seemed to be a bit over the top for me.... I was just looking for some bacon and eggs but I had more ramekins, dishes, cups, spreads, cutlery, etc on my table than I would have ever needed. Overall a pleasant stay in another great Halifax hotel.

Room Tip: Don't forget.... they have a pool.