“Wonderful, intimate dining experience”
Review of Moda Urban Dining

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Cross street: Spring Garden Road
Reviewed June 23, 2014

My wife and I decided to try this place that seems to be flying under the radar. Tucked away just off Spring Garden Rd, the restaurant offers a cozy, intimate dining experience. The menu, while small, is varied, and offers pretty much one take on each kind of food (meat, chicken, seafood, pasta, vegetarian). Both my wife and I tried an appetizer, a main course, and split the dessert, and each plate was tastefully presented, perfectly prepared, and savoured immensely. The Ahi Tuna (which I had never tried before) was to die for, and I cannot wait to try it again. It was not busy while we were there (Saturday evening), which meant that my wife and I could actually have a dinner conversation, as opposed to shouting at each other like we sometime have to at places like the Bicycle Thief. My only complaint (if you want to call it that) was the Kraft paper tablecloth. The only place I would expect to see that is at a chain restaurant, a la Jack Astors or Montana's. I realize it was perhaps done to be more eco- friendly, as opposed to constantly washing white linen cloths, but to be honest, I would prefer no table cloth at all. Kraft paper is just tacky, no matter how you try to dress it up. But in terms of ambience, location, value, service and food, this restaurant ranks up there easily among the best in Halifax. I would recommend to anyone.

1  Thank Rob C

Reviewed March 11, 2014

After hearing several friends give me great reviews of this restaurant I finally decided to try it in mid-Feb. We went after Valentine's Day to miss the crowds although I am sure this intimate restaurant would have been excellent for Valentines Day - tables well spaced yet cozy and warm. The service here is excellent! Attentive but not over the top - perfect and what is expected but not always delivered in a fine dining establishment. The food from our amazing appies to dessert were well plated and DELICIOUS! Excellent cocktails too! The menu was a tough one for me as everything on the menu looked great! I will definitely be back as I have many more things to try!

Excited because I am going there for a work function on Saturday night!

2  Thank Susan A
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Have visited Moda several times it is always an enjoyable experience. Food service atmosphere is as good as it gets in Halifax. I would recommend giving it a try.

1  Thank SpudmanCanada
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Our first visit to Moda.
Our table had Calamari, Thai Soup, Mushrooms with Goat cheese, lamb, halibut and pad thai and all were excellent.
We will return.

1  Thank YHZtraveller
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Just in Halifax for a couple of days whilst touring and happened upon this little restaurant yesterday, but being Sunday it was closed, so we went being back this evening. The menu had a good range of choice, the food was delicious, the atmosphere was relaxed and friendly and above all it didn't cost the earth. If we ever visit again we will head for this place if it is not a Sunday.

1  Thank 474davidf