“Trendy, young crowd - lots of wine and live jazz”
Review of Obladee

Obladee
Ranked #76 of 821 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Description: Small, casual wine bar specializing in thoughtful wines by-the-glass, a market-fresh cafe lunch, and small-batch cheese and charcuterie.
Reviewed June 18, 2018

Cute spot in a great downtown location.
Huge choice of wines, smallish but nice menu.
We had the charcuterie board which was quite skimpy for the price.
Live jazz and no cover charge on Wednesdays.

Date of visit: February 2018

Reviewed May 21, 2018 via mobile

This is a must-visit in my list every time I am in Halifax. The wine list is extensive, the flights are thought out, cheese pairings are excellent, and the chocolate board is a wonderful, surprising treat.

Reviewed May 7, 2018

Obladee is trying hard, but they made some mistakes right at the outset and I don't think they will ever be able to overcome them. There is no decent seating near the band. None. They opted for a whole bunch of uncomfortable seats because that is what places that try too hard are doing these days.

They have a nice wine selection, at inflated prices. They have a small menu and portions are tiny for the price.

Our experience was also ruined by two women who decided a wine bar with music was an excellent place to have a loud conversation about their failed relationships. As the music got louder, so did they!

Sad. They could have done this so much better.

Date of visit: May 2018
ObladeeAWineBar, Owner at Obladee, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2018

Hi Angela, so sorry to read this review.

Some of your frustrations may stem from the fact that we are we are not a live Music venue, rather a wine bar that happens to offer live music on Wednesdays - for free.

We establish long-standing relationships with accomplished, local musicians, give them a place to play, pay them fairly, and in doing so give our customers a little something extra and create a sense of community.

Re the wine list pricing, you have my word that the prices are not inflated. We may list pricier wines than some other bars in the city, but the markups are fair and competitive. I can say this because I am both Sommelier and co-owner and I select each wine personally. I rigorously train and educate my staff on every detail on every wine. And they are tested to ensure perfect retention. This is done both to give back to staff - by teaching them useful, life-enriching skills -and to show respect to our customers by knowing our products inside and out. And even with this value-added knowledge and service , I do not pad the wine prices.

Regarding food portion sizes, I must disagree again. Every ingredient, every wheel of cheese, every garnish is painstakenly thought through and chosen for quality, flavour and value . The food is honestly priced based on input costs.

So much care and time and hard work goes into making Obladee what it is. Every day. Your review really cuts at the very heart of our business: as we have always strived to be anything but the picture you have painted of us here.

I would be happy to consider each of your complaints individually to see if we can improve in any of those areas - where specifically you sat, what you had to drink, and eat. Feel free to email me directly at info@obladee.ca.

- Heather

Reviewed May 4, 2018 via mobile

Still great atmosphere, wine , food and staff . Ask questions they will be answered and it makes for a fun night . We enjoyed DJ Douvet this Thursday night !

Date of visit: May 2018
ObladeeAWineBar, Owner at Obladee, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2018

Thanks for this great review Lucy! So
Glad you came back to see us :)

Reviewed March 12, 2018

Obladee offers good wines and very tasty small plates in a warm low-light room with a varied and interesting seating. This is perfect for couples, small groups, and even for the solo traveler, as i was. The price is not low but the quality meets the expectations set. My server recommended a full-bodied red that was good enough to merit a second round. My cheese plate was small but interesting. The beef sandwich special was excellent and just enough. A nice spot for a drink in a relaxed and refined atmosphere.

Date of visit: February 2018
ObladeeAWineBar, Owner at Obladee, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2018

Thanks for this thoughtful review and feedback! Very happy you enjoyed your visit/appreciated the details :) Hope to see you again soon. Heather