“Knowledgeable and welcoming staff”
Review of Obladee

Obladee
Ranked #76 of 821 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Description: Small, casual wine bar specializing in thoughtful wines by-the-glass, a market-fresh cafe lunch, and small-batch cheese and charcuterie.
Reviewed August 28, 2018

Friendly, helpful and knowledgeable staff. Always willing to take the time to explain or discuss wines on the list if you have questions. A very good wine list from a basic guzzler up to some special cellar selections and special bottles on offer. The cheese and meat selections always very nice as well.

Reviewed August 25, 2018 via mobile

Although it has younger crowd but the ambiance is delightful, and service is great. Very friendly with good music selections. I enjoyed though it was for a short visit.

ObladeeAWineBar, Owner at Obladee, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2018

Thank you for this thoughtful, review! Much appreciated, and very glad you enjoyed your visit :)

Reviewed June 18, 2018

Cute spot in a great downtown location.
Huge choice of wines, smallish but nice menu.
We had the charcuterie board which was quite skimpy for the price.
Live jazz and no cover charge on Wednesdays.

Reviewed May 21, 2018 via mobile

This is a must-visit in my list every time I am in Halifax. The wine list is extensive, the flights are thought out, cheese pairings are excellent, and the chocolate board is a wonderful, surprising treat.

Reviewed May 7, 2018

Obladee is trying hard, but they made some mistakes right at the outset and I don't think they will ever be able to overcome them. There is no decent seating near the band. None. They opted for a whole bunch of uncomfortable seats because that is what places that try too hard are doing these days.

They have a nice wine selection, at inflated prices. They have a small menu and portions are tiny for the price.

Our experience was also ruined by two women who decided a wine bar with music was an excellent place to have a loud conversation about their failed relationships. As the music got louder, so did they!

Sad. They could have done this so much better.

ObladeeAWineBar, Owner at Obladee, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2018

Hi Angela, so sorry to read this review.

Some of your frustrations may stem from the fact that we are we are not a live Music venue, rather a wine bar that happens to offer live music on Wednesdays - for free.

We establish long-standing relationships with accomplished, local musicians, give them a place to play, pay them fairly, and in doing so give our customers a little something extra and create a sense of community.

Re the wine list pricing, you have my word that the prices are not inflated. We may list pricier wines than some other bars in the city, but the markups are fair and competitive. I can say this because I am both Sommelier and co-owner and I select each wine personally. I rigorously train and educate my staff on every detail on every wine. And they are tested to ensure perfect retention. This is done both to give back to staff - by teaching them useful, life-enriching skills -and to show respect to our customers by knowing our products inside and out. And even with this value-added knowledge and service , I do not pad the wine prices.

Regarding food portion sizes, I must disagree again. Every ingredient, every wheel of cheese, every garnish is painstakenly thought through and chosen for quality, flavour and value . The food is honestly priced based on input costs.

So much care and time and hard work goes into making Obladee what it is. Every day. Your review really cuts at the very heart of our business: as we have always strived to be anything but the picture you have painted of us here.

I would be happy to consider each of your complaints individually to see if we can improve in any of those areas - where specifically you sat, what you had to drink, and eat. Feel free to email me directly at info@obladee.ca.

- Heather