All reviews common areas big kitchen walkable distance great location barrington st heart of downtown four nights room was spacious dorm supermarket waterfront lock earplugs laptop
Reviewed June 8, 2017

When checking in, I checked the bed for signs of bed bugs and saw none. Came in a few nights later and noticed bed bug protectors on the legs of both bunks. The next morning, I woke up with about 10 bites on my arm, one on my leg and two on my neck.I asked to be moved right away and the guy at reception let me use the machines free of charge, however, after putting my stuff in the machines it kept being removed by housekeeping to wash the sheets. I understand they have things to do but I'm not going to sit around all day waiting for the machines to be available since I can't go into the new room until my stuff has been washed or dried on high heat. Myself and the other girls in the room with me were put in another room which we later found out had also had reports of bed bugs, and I woke up with another fresh bite the next morning. We also inquired about getting some sort of refund since we were moved from a 4 bed dorm to a 6 bed dorm but were told that it's the same price and they don't offer compensation for bed bugs since "we could have brought them in".
I get that bed bugs are a fact of life when so many people are coming and going but I feel that it could have been dealt with better.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
5  Thank Heather A
Reviewed May 27, 2017

The good:
-Chill yet helpful and friendly staff.
-Hostel common areas are clean [near spotless] and so well thought out that it feels like a vacation getaway unto itself.
-The rooms are spacious and the beds are comfy - no prison mattresses here!
-Both supermarket AND farmer's market are well within walking distance.

The bad:
-If your room faces Barrington St and your bed is situated so that your head is at the window, you may need earplugs to block the sound of cars whizzing by. Downtown Halifax does sleep so this would only be an issue if you are catching winks outside of a typical nighttime slumber.
-There was a spot of dried blood on my pillow but with three empty beds, I just swapped pillows and kept it moving. Nothing dries like blood and I assure you it was not fingernail polish. I'm no forensics expert but it looked as if someone either cut their finger or cut themselves shaving and bled through an adhesive bandage. As I type this, I realize bringing it to the attention of the staff and sparing another guest from discovering it would have been the proper thing to do -so- whoops.

The WTF?
-With a corner bunk sitting completely empty, I was placed atop another guest. I would have asked to move as to not feel so cramped but I figured there was a method to the madness and two guests traveling together would soon fill the beds... FFWD three nights and no one came. The guest below me was on his way after my second night so I did feel some relief.
-In booking through the HI website, I was quoted a price that Halifax Heritage House did not honor. With the staff being so friendly and chill, I did not make a fuss but I'll be working this one out with my bank. Overall, I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed February 21, 2017 via mobile

I stayed at HI-Halifax hostel on Barrington Street for many reasons but the main reasons were (1) minutes from the VIA station (2) easy access to bars and shops (3) museums and galleries galore (4) craft brewery's and (5) farmers market was a hop skip and a jump from the hostel. It was a good base for checking out the town in spite of the 60 cm's of snow the area got the night I arrived. I wanted an adventure and I got one!! I got the single room which came with private washroom including shower. Both clean and functional. Staff were great and helpful to me and the folks staying at the hostel were interesting people. Would I stay at this hostel again?? Heck yes in a heartbeat.!!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed October 9, 2016

This is a safe bet but could be so much better!

The good first - handy location - v near to the VIA rail train and a few minutes walk to the main streets and sites of Halifax. It's clean and has a very nice, well equipped kitchen area.

The downside, which is a shame, is that the staff let it down. Before I booked I'd read some reviews which mentioned lots of rules and I thought ' hey, that's cool', but honestly it's like all that matters is that you sign to acknowledge the rules and give them the cash for your key deposit. No welcome, no smile, no conversation - at check in or throughout my stay. It's like they don't want to be there and aren't bothered whether you are either.

Also, be aware that I booked a 6 bed dorm through a hostel booking website and was put in an 8 bed dorm on checking in (i.e. when I got to the room there were 4 bunks). When I queried this, I was brusquely told that 'we don't take any notice of that - you pay one rate and we put you where there is space'. Since the price wasn't the issue for me, rather the size of the dorm, we had an 'interesting' discussion about this and they did agree to move me to a 6 bed dorm in the end after much huffing and puffing. Another example of customer service gaps.

Shame as the other guests were nice and it really could be fab.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank BrumJane
Reviewed September 24, 2016 via mobile

Location of this place was perfect in downtown Halifax, a few minutes walk from the bars and the harbour front. The staff were really nice, very helpful, and although the place was clean and well laid out, it really does need upgrade with some new furniture as it is a bit tired now. There is a bit of an odd smell in the rooms, granted, but it is very clean and I really did have fun here. I'm glad I picked it over the other hostel in town and though part of me thinks 4 stars is too much, giving it 3 seems too little and wouldn't be fair. I'd recommend it.

Stayed: September 2016