US$155
US$123
Hampton.com
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$139/night.

US$196
  • Restaurant
Prince George Hotel(Halifax)
US$171
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$196/night.

US$137
US$168
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$200/night.

Cambridge Suites - Halifax(Halifax)
US$158
US$147
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Comfort Hotel Bayer's Lake(Halifax)(Great Value!)
US$109
All reviewscommon areasbig kitchenwalkable distancegreat locationsingle roomvia stationfarmers marketbarrington stfour nightseasy accessroom was spaciousdormsupermarketwaterfrontlockearplugsdowntown
Reviewed July 24, 2017

One word — BEDBUGS. After 2 nights I had red welts all over my back and legs. The condescending girl at the front desk didn't think it was a big deal, yet told me not to tell anyone. What a hypocrite. It is a big deal. And now I look on Trip Advisor and see that someone else complained about bedbugs a month and a half earlier. They know they have a problem but lie about it anyway. How dishonest. And as I walked out 3 nights early, the same obnoxious girl says 'maybe you shouldn't stay in hostels.' She's absolutely right. If the hostel is this filthy, you shouldn't stay there...

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
7  Thank Rick O
Shane P, Manager at HI-Halifax Heritage House Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2017

Hello Rick,

To say the least, I am certainly taken back with the response you describe of the staff at the HI-Halifax Hostel in regard to your experience at our hostel. I assure you that the hostel has daily, weekly policies and procedures in regard to bedbugs, pre-maintenance and issues we find. I see that you were in room 306 from July 22 to the 25th, as per our policy the room has been taken apart, all bed parts, walls and floors have been treated for bedbugs, the linens have all been washed and dried, the blankets and pillows have been washed and dried. As of August 2nd, we have purchased new bunk-beds for room 306. These beds are metal and less prone to bedbugs.

Our policy in the hostel is to find out where the guests were prior to our hostel and where they will be going once they leave our hostel. We inform the previous hostel so that they may check their records and do inspection of the room this guest was in and we inform the future hostel as to what has happened, that we cleaned and dried guests clothes and to keep an eye on the room. If you are able, are you able to tell me the staff’s name? If not , this is ok, as I will be going through our policies and procedures for this issue with all staff and be re-training on this topic. I agree with you that being told “not to tell anyone” is not acceptable response.

I thank you for your input and do apologize for the experience that you had at our hostel. This to me, is not acceptable procedure from our staff. Bedbugs have been a part of accommodations for over 10 years now and must be properly monitored and maintained in all accommodations. We have been very fortunate in the past in regard to bedbugs, but as you have experienced, not this year. As the season progresses we will be cleaning, treating rooms and replacing bunkbeds in all of our rooms. Again thank you and look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed July 10, 2017

Pros: The location of this hostel cannot be beat...within walking distance to the harbor and many attractions. The price is also a plus - we paid $26 (USA) a night. It is a older building, in what was once an elegant home. There is a big kitchen and several common areas. Security is good; they change the door code every day and there are large lockers in the bedrooms. Seating area with picnic tables outside.

Cons: Our bedroom was downstairs in the basement and although that meant it was cool, it was very damp and there was a decidedly musty odor. A dehumidifier might help. The mattresses really need to be replaced. There should be some kind of support under them - basically, they were simply sitting on the slats. Not comfortable. The beds were supposed to each have reading lamps, but many were missing or not functioning. The bathroom was very cramped and a little grotty, although I did see them cleaning it. The staff is very young and the guy who checked us in seemed pretty disinterested. WiFi was spotty, but worked.

Mixed crowd of people - including several contingents of boy scouts on their way up to a Jamboree.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2017 via mobile

The location was one of the best parts of this hostel, but it was also very clean, had parking, and a large wonderful kitchen. But the true cherry on top was the people working here, they were very friendly, and inclusive. I was originally only going to stay for 4 nights, but extended it to 5 and don't regret that decision at all.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed June 8, 2017

When checking in, I checked the bed for signs of bed bugs and saw none. Came in a few nights later and noticed bed bug protectors on the legs of both bunks. The next morning, I woke up with about 10 bites on my arm, one on my leg and two on my neck.I asked to be moved right away and the guy at reception let me use the machines free of charge, however, after putting my stuff in the machines it kept being removed by housekeeping to wash the sheets. I understand they have things to do but I'm not going to sit around all day waiting for the machines to be available since I can't go into the new room until my stuff has been washed or dried on high heat. Myself and the other girls in the room with me were put in another room which we later found out had also had reports of bed bugs, and I woke up with another fresh bite the next morning. We also inquired about getting some sort of refund since we were moved from a 4 bed dorm to a 6 bed dorm but were told that it's the same price and they don't offer compensation for bed bugs since "we could have brought them in".
I get that bed bugs are a fact of life when so many people are coming and going but I feel that it could have been dealt with better.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
4  Thank Heather A
Reviewed May 27, 2017

The good:
-Chill yet helpful and friendly staff.
-Hostel common areas are clean [near spotless] and so well thought out that it feels like a vacation getaway unto itself.
-The rooms are spacious and the beds are comfy - no prison mattresses here!
-Both supermarket AND farmer's market are well within walking distance.

The bad:
-If your room faces Barrington St and your bed is situated so that your head is at the window, you may need earplugs to block the sound of cars whizzing by. Downtown Halifax does sleep so this would only be an issue if you are catching winks outside of a typical nighttime slumber.
-There was a spot of dried blood on my pillow but with three empty beds, I just swapped pillows and kept it moving. Nothing dries like blood and I assure you it was not fingernail polish. I'm no forensics expert but it looked as if someone either cut their finger or cut themselves shaving and bled through an adhesive bandage. As I type this, I realize bringing it to the attention of the staff and sparing another guest from discovering it would have been the proper thing to do -so- whoops.

The WTF?
-With a corner bunk sitting completely empty, I was placed atop another guest. I would have asked to move as to not feel so cramped but I figured there was a method to the madness and two guests traveling together would soon fill the beds... FFWD three nights and no one came. The guest below me was on his way after my second night so I did feel some relief.
-In booking through the HI website, I was quoted a price that Halifax Heritage House did not honor. With the staff being so friendly and chill, I did not make a fuss but I'll be working this one out with my bank. Overall, I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo