“Lovely experience”

Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Description: The Bicycle Thief exudes a relaxed, come-as-you-are feel, in an atmosphere that blends Old School style with New School attitude. Drop by for lunch or supper, or pull up a chair to our wicked wine bar for a fantastic glass from our titanic selection. The Bicycle Thief offers North American food with an Italian soul, and legendary cooking that will steal your heart…
Reviewed April 4, 2018

While strolling along the Halifax waterfront on a rainy and cold Saturday afternoon, we spontaneously decided to pop inside the Bicycle Thief to warm up a bit and maybe have a couple drinks to while some time away until our next appointment. We were graciously and warmly welcomed and seated at a nice table with a view and close to a fireplace. Loved it immediately! Super comfortable chairs. Friendly service and impeccable set up. We initially had no intentions of ordering food but one look at the lunch menu made our mouths water and so one thing led to another and we enjoyed a superb meal of the highest quality. We even ordered a dessert to share, it was just all so very excellent that we didn't want to stop eating. It was highly enjoyable to relax into the great atmosphere they have created at this restaurant and our little stop turned into a few hours visit which we appreciated greatly. Wonderful wines to accompany your food choices or to just have by the glass while you're in this cosy cocoon of a place.

Date of visit: December 2017
Write a ReviewReviews (3,051)

Reviewed April 3, 2018

We went here with clients, the food as always was great. As a vegetarian there are very limited options and vegan...nothing . I had the ravioli which was tasty but the portion size was very small. The small pillows filled the bottom of a shallow soup bowl. I could have eaten 3 times the amount. Had fun ,but I was iniibriated from lack of food.. I recommend having the ravioli as an appetizer, not a meal.

1  Thank bobokitten
Reviewed April 3, 2018

drinks, appetizers, meal, service....wished I was still hungry.
Reservations turned out to be a good idea as wait by others was obvious and long.
Great evening for all of our family...six adults.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed April 3, 2018

I had the opportunity to eat here last Thursday night (Late March) and was very impressed. We arrived early around 6 pm and were promptly seated. Out Waiter Kosta was very helpful in recommending several menu items that we tried. The food was some of the best I have ever tasted. We were celebrating my daughters pending graduation from university and this was an excellent choice. The service was fast and efficient - Thanks Kosta and the food was cooked to perfection. I am pining to come back as soon as possible. A culinary jewel.

Reviewed April 1, 2018

The Bicycle Thief is not a place for a relaxing evening, if that's what you're looking for. It's very busy and very loud. As far as the food goes the scallops I ordered were perfectly done, however, the Risotto had nothing going for it as far as presentation goes. It was served in a bowl without any sort of garnish making it look like a large serving of porridge. It doesn't have to be that way. Our waitress took my order and then walked away without asking if I would like any sort of drink to accompany it even though I was holding the wine list. She still hadn't come back when my scallops arrived. It was then that I noticed that she was two tables away talking to a couple of male customers. I waited for her to finish with them so that I could catch her eye, but she continued to carry on a conversation that was obviously more than what was on the menu. I was eventually successful in attracting her attention, but she seemed put out that she had to leave a more interesting pastime than her job. There is plenty of staff to bring your order to you, but if your waitress isn't interested then it's less than a satisfactory experience.

1  Thank Hydrostone2
Janna M, Guest Relations Manager at The Bicycle Thief, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2018

Hi there, thank you so much for taking the time to share this experience with us. Would you be so kind as to private message us with your contact information, so that we can follow-up with you personally? You can also email us at info@bertossigroup.com.