See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed June 1, 2015 via mobile

We tried booking and were not given a response for days at a time. Finally, on the day we spoke (the day we were hoping to check in) and when asked what our budget was, I said less was always better and we wanted to stay there as we thought it would be more cost effective than a hotel (as anyone else staying would want). After speaking that day, we were called back and told there was no availability due to sudden last minute bookings. This was frustrating as I had tried contacting and booking several days earlier. When I said we were disappointed because we had frequent visitors with is who own a business in the area, we were told they did have two rooms available that they assumed where out of our price range, (100$-120$ a night). That was again tacky and very disappointing. If nothing else, the difficulties in booking were enough to make us steer clear next time and not recommend staying there.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Katie H
Reviewed May 21, 2015

I had a lovely experience staying at the Mary Queen of Scots. The staff were friendly and very helpful with all and any requests that were made. As well, the rooms were beautifully furnished to give you a traditional feel in a great historical building. The Inn is 5 minutes away from all the bustling and busy streets of downtown Halifax with groceries, gas and all other goods being available at a short 5 minute walk. If you are looking for a home away from home this is the place to be! Thanks for the great stay

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed March 12, 2015

I stayed here for a month. Although, unfortunately, there was a construction going on across the street, I can say that my stay was overall very good. The whole building was clean and organized, and my unit was cozy and comfy. The key thing about this place is its location. In summary, this is an extremely good place with a wonderful location.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Sam S
Reviewed March 9, 2015

I recently stayed at this beautiful heritage property downtown. The building is beautifully renovated to provide a warm and cozy feel right in the middle of downtown. I would definitely recommend this for anyone looking for a short term rental. The staff are warm and welcoming! Thank you Lisa Jane for being so kind and helpful during my stay. It's been a pleasure doing business with you.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed September 25, 2014

I stayed here for three nights in September. My room was facing the street so it was a bit noisy and cigarette smoke would blow in from anyone who stepped outside to smoke. My suite consisted of a bedroom with a separate living room and bathroom. There was a sink, microwave & fridge. There was a communal kitchen and laundry area downstairs and parking in the back of the building. You get much more space than if you stayed in a hotel but it was very pricey. I booked on hotels.com and did not realize that the total amount I was quoted did not include tax. During my stay two other tenants attempted to use the kitchen and subsequently set off the alarm attached to the smoke detector. They said there was not much ventilation in the kitchen. No one in the building knew how to turn off the alarm and we could not reach our contact on their cell phone. My suite was pretty clean in general but I did notice small things like hair and dust under the radiator in the bathroom, lots of dust on the windowsill in the bedroom and a soda bottle under the couch. But everything else felt very clean. I would not stay here again simply because of the price. I stayed in a house I found on airbnb the rest of my week and had all the same amenities for half the price. But if you are looking for something more than a hotel with a luxurious feel and old character to the building this is it

Room Tip: My room was at the front of the building facing the street and was a bit noisy
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo