“Either be fine dining or offer the ability to super-size your meal... not both”

Da Maurizio Dining Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Da Maurizio Dining Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 809 Restaurants in Halifax
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Cross street: Salter
Reviewed October 15, 2017

New to Halifax and unfamiliar with the Brewery building, the front door of the restaurant is challenging to find. But once we did, we were greeted by a friendly host. She showed us to our table. The ambience was great, as was our server (Kelly).

The food selection was robust, even for vegetarians. One of the people in my dining party claimed the food was some of the best she'd ever had; mine was like a $30 plate of Chef Boyardee. Also, the portion sizes were too large. It felt sort of "American" (as in USA) – like we were getting a fine dining menu in "super-size-it" quantities.

Overall, the setting, drinks, location, and staff made up for the overdone pasta and swimming pool of soup. If I had some extra cash around and someone to watch my kids, I'd go back.

Reviewed October 7, 2017

We dined here recently on our 20th wedding anniversary. In our view, this is still the best fine dining in Halifax. Tucked away in the Old Brewery on Water St, the location is quiet, yet distinguished. The hostess is always welcoming and service is excellent. All dishes are carefully prepared, tastefully presented and delicious. In addition to the a la carte menu, the restaurant offers a prix-fixe choice, with a good selection of dishes at an economical price. the wine list is a tad over-priced, but offers an extensive choice of fine wines. You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed October 4, 2017 via mobile

Wow! What a lovely restaurant. We arrived fairly late as a party of four without a reservation. Within moments, we were seated and enjoying a very nice bottle of wine. We shared the dates and calamari appetizers which were delightful. I ordered the duck - THE BEST duck I've ever eaten. Perfectly prepared and presented. My husbands steak was equally delicious. As were our hosts meals. We were all so pleased. The service was top notch ~ we were there until after they closed and not once did they make us feel unwelcome. Highly recommended for a business or romantic supper.

Reviewed October 3, 2017

It has been some time since we dined here. As always for us, It did not disappoint. Our service was excellent and our meals were delicious. Everything was exactly as we wished. We were dining with friends we had not seen for some time and informed our waiter that we were in no hurry as we needed to catch up. he gaged the pace of our meal perfectly.

Reviewed October 2, 2017 via mobile

Da Maurizio is a huge success, judging by the crowd on Friday evening. In many respects it deserves that success. The environment is pleasant, nestled in the charming old Brewery building. The waiter for our table was well informed and attentive. The food was tasty, in my case a shrimp linguini. However, as in the previous occasions we ate there, I felt the cooking lacked subtlety. There is a heavy hand on seasoning and the sauces threaten to overwhelm the entree. I was happy not to be paying the substantial freight for the meal. My colleagues all had the prix fixe selection at $50 per head. One might expect more nuanced cooking for the price. It is pleasant dining but not exceptional.