All reviews the owner great apartment excellent resort main issue jet tub older home main floor room service hot water beds were comfortable pleasant stay living room second floor nova scotia office properties balcony
Reviewed October 4, 2016

Whomever Dolan is seems to own the town. Units, houses, cabins scattered everywhere which, as other travellers have indicated, makes locating yours challenging.

Our 'house' had just been vacated by renters. We were greeted by a sign in the kitchen warning us about the maggots, a dead landline, and an unresponsive wifi. Fortunately, my brother and father got the TV working as the ball game was on. When I called for assistance with the wifi, I was given instructions by a rather harrassed-sounding woman who said she'd be right over. And she was. She tried to get the internet working, apologised for the inconvenience, admitted something was wrong, and phoned her boss.

The Boss arrived on a motorcycle, walked straight into the living area without so much as a hello, got in front of the tv and started fiddling around with a modem. He had no idea what he was doing, so went to the landline to call someone for assistance. The landline, of course, was dead. He then walked in front of the tv again, pressed some buttons, and the TV went off. All this despite our telling him to leave the tv alone, please. He persisted, rudely, telling me to get down and read him the serial number off the modem, that the whole system was just 'reprogramming'. After 20 or so minutes of his futile performance, my brother asked him quite sternly to leave.

We appreciated the strain which the two women working with The Boss were clearly under. In challenging circumstances, they tried their best to make up for our dismal arrival and evening at House 8. We do not fault them.

Pictou is a lovely town, but it looks like The Boss has a lock on accommodations. Try your best to support another innkeeper. This guy has absolutely no business being in the hospitality business. And reminder, Boss: when you enter a house with paying guests in it, take off your helmet, pull up your pants, greet said guests, and apologise/make amends for things going awry.

Do not direct your guests to do your work, offer them lame excuses, or pretend to know what you're doing. Do not ignore guests' requests to leave. Do not take for granted the people who are on the front lines, interacting with guests, and trying their best to manage the damage your inability to manage causes.

Room tip: Avoid Dolan's altogether. And don't let the Nova Scotia Travel Bureau convince you otherwise.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank evamy
tdolan, Owner at Dolan's Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2016

Sorry that you had a negative experience however that is no reason to get insulting. I went to your house because my inn keeper called and could not get internet working. 9 times out 10 I am successful. Your house had fibe which included telephone, internet and TV. A premium package which I would say is not offered by many others. Usually trouble free. I recalled that you arrived late and I was just trying to accommodate. To say that I am incompetent for not being an Aliant technician, disappointing. The house being 3 bedrooms is not rented on a regular basis.
The maggot story is a first, we would certainly not rent a house that had maggots and I know that you would not have stayed in the house if there was any sign of maggots. I have never seen a maggot inside any of my accommodations in the 13 years that we have been operating.

Was the house you rented clean, were the beds comfortable and the price reasonable? These are the normal questions asked and we try and satisfy. Did we give you a discount for the internet inconvenience, yes we did. To tell others to avoid our business because you did not like me. Wow. I was only trying to help. Oh, by the way the internet problem was because we were using the wrong password.

Reviewed September 24, 2016

It took us 30 minutes to locate the office for Dolan's Inn and Suites. We ended up having to go to the local post office to get directions. Because we travel with a small dog, we were assigned to "Silver 2." Upon arrival (It's about a mile from the office.), we saw a house with a much-needed paint job on the front porch--very shabby looking. The room was tiny, but was quite clean. The first thing we did was wash up, only to discover that the stopper in the sink was stuck. Yuck. Next we attempted to watch TV, only to find out that the remotes did not work. Finally we had to use the cable box to turn on the TV. We never could adjust the volume. Later we wanted to play a game, but there was no table and only one chair. When it was time to go to sleep, we discovered there was no air conditioning! We had to open the windows to get an air flow. Thankfully there was a fan over the bed that worked. We went to lock ourselves in, but found out there was NO DEAD BOLT! So there we were--windows open on ground level and no dead bolt. Disconcerting. We made it through the night. Got up and went to fix coffee. There was a coffee pot, cream and sugar, but NO COFFEE! While we were getting ready, we needed tissues--not a box in sight. Two nights earlier, we stayed at a place on The Cabot Trail. The price was the SAME as this miserable room, but we had three rooms and a kitchen! The ONLY GOOD thing we can say about the Dolan's room was that it was clean. We will NOT stay again.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank Eurodame
Reviewed September 24, 2016 via mobile

Not exactly as expected as there are multiple buildings. Office is on the main Street into town but due road detour we missed it. Our building was 2 doors away from the office in an older house about 1 KM from town. We had a smaller room with decent sized bathroom. Also had access to the front deck which was nice to sit on. Overall the place is clean and comfortable, definitely well used. No breakfast available so we ate at a small cafe in town.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2016

We stayed one night with this Inn. They have many different buildings so we took a 2 bedroom cottage. Our only problem was that there were stairs to the bedrooms and one of my party has trouble with stairs so once upstairs she stayed up and came down in the morning. The cottage was very clean and the beds were comfortable.

1  Thank Catherine B
Reviewed August 31, 2016 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at Dolan's en route from PEI to Cape Breton. Coming toward town, I turned in at the long, rutted driveway at the Office sign, parked under the Employee Parking Only sign, which was the only area available, and walked to the office door, only to be greeted by a sign that the office was now two doors down the road. Upon check in I was sent back to the building I had originally gone to.

Our room was small with dated furnishings and an old style TV, but spotless, and with tub jets, lots of electrical outlets, and a lovely shared balcony (that needed painting). Wi-Fi worked well. Coffee pot and cups out on the hall! Shared fridge downstairs by the pool table! All well and good.

In the morning, I returned to the office to check out and found myself facing a locked door. So, I called the number posted for room info, and the clerk said she would come over. When she arrived, she told me that I could have just left the key at the desk in the other building. Would have been a good thing to have mentioned at check-in.

My sense is that they are trying to update one aspect of an old facility at a time, providing workarounds where the age of the facility prevents a real solution. I would hope that some of the logistics are simply in transition

Date of stay: August 2016