“Time for an update....”

Best Western Royal Oak Inn
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Just your average hotel, nothing new, nothing too old. Typical 80's best western wallpaper, old carpets, but, overall, it was clean, and staff members were friendly. Apparently there is a new addition, but we couldn't tell where, as everything looked older. I'm assuming the addition is on top of the foyer. Overall, the hotel served it's purpose; however, it was definitely not above and /or beyond.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 September 2011

the staff was excellent & friendly, continental breakfast was above expectation, but our room on ground floor smelled like cigarettes smoke, carpet was old, hallway carpet in the original wing is filthy. We only stayed for one night instead of three originally planned & their very nice to give us a refund. The pool is very small but has a hot tub.

I"m sure the renovated part of the hotel is great. They were willing to transfer us but no available room. They really tried to accommodate us; we traveled w/ an infant & they provided baby cot, extra sheets & blankets at no cost.

Room Tip: Stay in the renovated part of the hotel. Not the ground floor 'coz it has sliding doors & g...
1  Thank Aida G
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at your hotel , the room was clean and neat couldn`t ask for better , the people who work there are real friendly and helpful , my only suggestion is you should have room numbers attached to the brick wall above the parking spaces for the ground level parking , every time we went out there was a car in our parking space , no big deal but have to lug our bags to the front door , but a enjoyable stay , take care saranora dnear Hanover On.

Reviewed 29 August 2011

We stayed here for a weekend with the team for a soccer tournament. I will start out by saying that the hotel was very accomadating to our rather large and loud group. Check in was fast, they had almost out entire team together (which the kids love), gave us a room for our team pizza dinner, and tolerated loud noisy kids in the halls and the pool area.

I can't comment on the "new tower rooms" as we were placed in "the traditional wing" of the building; traditional, I guess means "a bit old and tired". However, the room was relatively clean and spacious, but a bit dated with older furnishings, a small tube tv, and a bit of a worn down appearance. However, the room did have a good size "mini fridge" and the beds and linens were nice and comfy.

The pool itself was very small, and had a unpleasant green tinge to it.

The location is convienient to #400, but there wasn't a whole lot around the hotel except for a Tim Hortons just down the street.

All in all, not a bad place, but will definitly try somewhere different the next time we are in Barrie.

Room Tip: Request a tower room
3  Thank ToSquareBob1
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We stayed here for a soccer tournament. Five of us had a family studio which consisted of 2 queen beds in the main room and 1 bedroom with a queen size bed. There was a microwave and small fridge and a counter with a coffee maker. Both rooms had flat screens. Room was clean (although, like most hotels, the dusting could improve). The bathroom was very clean. Breakfast was very nice and a good variety. We went to use the pool but there were too many kids in it and it is quite small. Good location. Easy access to Hwy 400 and a minute drive up to Bayfield Road. We would not hesitate to stay here again. This was an excellent hotel for what we needed.

Reviewed 24 August 2011

We stayed here one night and were very pleased. Room was immaculate, comfortable bed, very clean hotel. Breakfast buffet included and all staff very polite and helpful Wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I chose the best western hotel to get some sleep and rest during my long drive. Let's just say I was not the most satisfied person in the world!! The check in was great and went well, I got in my room and it seemed very clean but as soon as I was ready to go to sleep I got in the bed and got a strong whiff of after shave or man cologne or something of the sort from my pillows. Me being a female I knew this scent was not from me. I addressed this to the manager... Holly I believe her name was? Anyways, she was pretty rude about the whole situation leaving me no choice but to leave and never bring my business back.

Room Tip: Rooms are clearly not fully cleaned!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo