“Wedding DJ's and Nature Resorts Don't Mix”
Review of Horseshoe Resort

Horseshoe Resort
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
Toronto, Canada
“Wedding DJ's and Nature Resorts Don't Mix”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I think it was the wedding DJ playing outside our window until 1:00 am that was the start of a bad weekend for my friend and I at this " resort ". Flashback.... when we booked our vacation getaway here we pictured a quiet weekend at a decent hotel in the middle of nature far from the city. What we got the first night was something akin to trying to fall asleep in a crowded bar with a bad wedding crooner. Yes reliving the scenes from the movie Dirty Dancing with " I had the time of my life " and doing the " Macarena " at 12 am wasn't what we had in mind for relaxation especially after a long day of hiking.

Upon complaining to the front desk the manager on duty she told me that they would ask them to turn the music down at 11 but they had the tent until 1 am. This would be like asking someone to slam a revolving door, I said. ( note: I don't think the manager understood the analogy ) There was no offer of giving us another room away from the noise and no apology offered. I was told maybe I could join the wedding party. Not funny.

1 am came and went and the music was finally turned off. However when you have 200 drunk wedding guests the noise doesn't just end. It wasn't until 1:30 am that things began to quieten down.

Things didn't just end there. After another day of hiking and relaxing ( trying ) we got back to our room around 2:30 pm and wanted to have a nap. Funny I thought... is someone hammering upstairs? or next door? Wait for it.... upon calling the front desk I was told that the upstairs of the hotel was under construction and that there would be noise going on all day.
She told me maybe I should go take a hike ( literally ). Really I thought? Again no offer of moving us to another room and no apology. By this time we were ready to pack up and leave but ended just toughing it out and leaving the room for another few hours.

My questions to the resort: What kind of place labelling itself as a " resort " holds weddings in a tent outside 50 meters away 20-30 rooms?

Why would a resort have construction going on, on a long weekend ?

Why is your front desk staff like something out a Steven King novel?

John

Toronto Canada

Room Tip: Do not I repeat do not book a room on the north side of the hotel with any view of the " weddin...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank john_aexander1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ogden, Utah, United States
Reviewed 19 May 2012

My wife and I spent a weekend here and absolutely loved it! We have already started recommending Horseshoe to our friends and family.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
CamDad, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Thank you for posting your review!

We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit with us to the point that you are recommending our experiences to you friends. We hope that you will return with them and guide them around this summer.

Wishing you all the best,

Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We went up to Barrie's Hourseshoe Resort for their Tree-Top Trekking activity, got the 20+ group rate. It was a lot of fun and something different to try. Word of advice, if you think you are/will be ready for the 'Black Course' (the hardest of 6 courses) let the guides know this because they will need to observe you before they allow you to try it. Also, they say to make sure you leave an hour to complete the course. Crazy Hourseshoe restaurant had good food and good service. The room we stayed in for one night was clean and comfortable. All in all we had a good weekend.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
CamDad, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Many thanks for taking time to share your feedback with us and other travelers.

Tree Top Trekking is one of our finest attractions and provides a terrific experience for individuals and groups. Your suggestion is a great one on advising the instructors and there is a course for all abilities and comfort levels.

Thank you for the positive feedback on the rooms and on Crazy Horse - I will be sharing these comments with those teams.

Looking forward to hosting you again,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 May 2012

room was old. not what was shown in picture, service was acceptable. could tell funriture has ben re oganized as black lines were on the walls from the dragging of tthe TV along the wall.
Fire place smelled bad when turned on. room smelt like ciggarette smoke. and the bed was lumpy.
the shower water went from freezing cold to burning hot, (yes I did get burned). had great hopes for that weekend as it was our tenth anniversary.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us.

I am very disappointed to read of the experience that you had while with us and on such an important date for you and your spouse. We are investing in the physical product now and the items you spotlighted as challenges are all being addressed as part of this renovation.

I am hoping that you would contact me directly so that we could get additional information on your stay.

Looking forward to speaking,

Sean

Travellers are raving about these Barrie hotels

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Had a wonderful experienced with knowledgable and polite staff. Visited on the off season but still had a wonderfull time. Can't wait to go back for the Warrior Dash

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2012 via mobile

Even off season, the property is great and there is lots to do. Every one was friendly and warm. The room however was sub par. We were three people in a room, but there were coffee supplies for only two. There was a small dresser, no windows that opened, badly scratched furniture and an old tv. The bathroom had a small sink and the faucet didn't have a simple washer so water splashed all over. The hangers were the type that you need to unhook from a ring on the bar so that guests won't steal them. Felt a bit like a dorm room, which is unfortunate because everything else about the place felt like a resort. I'd go back for the property and the people, but I'll wait til they upgrade the rooms.

Stayed April 2012
CamDad, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Thank you so much for taking time to post your comments Tamara.

I am delighted that you find our people engaging and our activities and outdoor spaces to be to your liking. We have a terrific group of Colleagues and we have worked hard to take advantage of what nature has given us.

We have 36 rooms under renovation right now to compliment the 27 already done and we are also renovating our conference space in the Inn. I will investigate your comments on the room you stayed in and have these resolved - thank you for bringing them to our attention.

I do hope that you will be back to enjoy the renovated rooms and the great summer experiences planned.

All the best,

Toronto
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the resort several days ago for business. It was by far one of the best resorts in Ontario that I have ever stayed at. Upon arrival, all of the staff were very welcoming, knowledgeable and approachable. They were able to answer all the questions I had.

Among all the fantastic staff that I met while staying at the resort, I had the pleasure of meeting both the GM and Assistant GM of the resort. It’s not often that you meet people who truly love their job, but you can just tell within minutes these gentlemen love their job. They made me and my fellow coworkers feel truly welcomed and appreciated.

Not only are the staff a great reason to stay at the resort, but the food is fantastic! If I had to only recommend one item on the menu, I would say that you have to try Crazy Horse’s ribs! They are to die for! But all of the items on the menu are extremely good. You also have to try the Sticky Toffee Pudding! Nothing will ever compare to Fay’s delicious creations. All of her deserts are so delicious. They are worth the calories!

The spa is also something you must see when you go to the resort. The ladies are so nice and friendly. I felt immediately relaxed after a long day of meetings. I left feeling rejuvenated and ready to tackle the day.

I cannot wait to return and will recommend it to all my family and friends!

Room Tip: My recommendation is stay in the Inn. The rooms are great and are near all the action, close to one...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Jess F
Jess - thank you so much for your kind words on your experience at Horseshoe!

It was our pleasure to host you and your co-workers and we hope to see you all back up here for leisure and not just work. We will make sure that the ribs are marinating and the sticky toffee pudding is steamed and ready.

All the very best,