“poor accommodation”
Review of Horseshoe Resort

Horseshoe Resort
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
Reviewed 7 January 2017

The pull out sofa bed did not have a cover sheet for sleeping.Despite multiple phone calls, a cover sheet was never provided. The cushions were torn. There were multiple stains on the sofa.Substandard accommodation.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Wendy D, Guest Relations Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2017

Your comment on accommodation is important to us and want you to know that since joining Skyline Hotels & Resorts, we have been re-investing in our property. All of our main building rooms have received a full renovation and some of our 1 & 2 bedroom condos have received a full or partial renovation including carpet, furnishings, fixtures and drapery. The renovation project will continue into this year as well, to complete the entire building.

Wendy

Write a ReviewReviews (1,041)

Reviewed 6 January 2017

So Right off the bat the wife and I are not skiers, this was just a get away something different. We were there from Monday till Friday the first week in January. The facility over all is nice. They offer skiing downhill and cross country, with a whole lot of other winter sports that can be checked out on the website. We tried the cross country which was located across the main road before turning into the resort. We both had fun and it took us about 1.5hours to do one loop and we were dog tired after that, good work out. We ate are both the Inn Steakhouse and Crazy Horse during the stay I personally like the Crazy Horse the best but it can get loud and watch out where you sit because there are a number of different doors that people come in from the outside and the cold air just hits you. The Inn steakhouse is ok, fancy and pricey. The wife and I would get some what dressed up and go there but people where walking in with track pants and a old shirts so for how nice the place looks I guess no one cares (really slums the restaurant down) For Breakfast we did one at the buffet which is in the Inn Steakhouse, again ok... it was $30 + tip for the two of us, after that we just went to Loobies which is a 5min drive from the resort (left turn leaving resort then keep going till you see Loobies on your right) Better breakfast at Loobies for sure. We did a lot of walking around and spent time at the pool. As for the pool area, yeah for the size of resort it is a small pool, there is two different levels for the pool one just sitting and chilling and the other for swimming around + there is a hot tub which is a good size and a dry sauna which has seen better days. Over all the whole pool area needs a good overhaul. There is an arcade, but its all for young kids, tokens and tickets, which is a crying shame. The Snow Tubing is fun but you really only need to go after 4:00pm because from I think 4 till 9 its only $10pp for as many times as you want to do the hill. The Ice Skating was so so so sad... For the amount of space they have its only a small pad that wasn't even open for whole week we were there, come on, build a real outside rink there is no excuse for that little square crap like thing. We also did a Spa package, we both love that. The staff were super nice and did an amazing job, I would have no issue recommending this to anyone!! The long and short of it we enjoyed the week, I would not rush back any time soon, well maybe for the spa.

1  Thank HuggyD
Reviewed 5 January 2017

Deluxe room was great, excellent layout. Sunken area perfect for my young children to play in. Skiing was wonderful- lots of snow. Pool was busy- surprised that there wasn't any staff supervision or life guard. Didn't matter to the kids- they had a great time. The hot tub and sauna were also enjoyable. The arcade area was also fun for the kids- the staff gave us coins back after one of the machines ate malfunctioned. Crazy Horse Restaurant has fantastic food- can get busy at times, hit and miss for waiting. One major negative - terrible WIFI. Barely able to surf the net- forget watching Netflix. WIFI MUST BE IMPROVED!!!!
Will go back.... only if they improve the WIFI!!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank 885guest

Thank you so much for taking time to post your feedback!

We are delighted that you enjoyed your time at the resort with your family, that the skiing, pool, hot tub, arcade and food was all enjoyable for you and your family. We have upgraded the WIFI. I will ensure I pass this concern off to our IT department.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 January 2017

My husband and I decided to stay here over night to celebrate our 2 year wedding anniversary. The staff were extremely friendly and they even had a bottle of champagne for us when we arrived to our room. The room and bathroom were very nice; however, our sheets were inside and backwards which led us to believe that potentially the sheets weren't fresh sheets but merely turned over from the previous patrons. The horseshoe restaurant was okay but neither my husband's or my meal was as described on the menu and tasted mediocre. The skiing was great minus that their are many bottlenecks created from how they have the lines set up at the bottom of the hill and there is barely any room at the top of the hill causing more bottle neck situations. Nonetheless, my husband and I still enjoyed the skiing and would recommend it highly for beginners. However, for those experienced skiers the vertical drop isn't much and your down the hill in 30 seconds and then in line for the next 10 minutes before your on the chair lift again. In spite of all this, my husband and I had a great time and we thank you for your hospitality.

1  Thank Stephanie S

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to share your observations. Feedback such as yours, is important to us and appreciated.

We are delighted that you spent with us such a special occasion. I would like to apologize for the areas where we fell short in our service and product during your stay. I do hope this one experience will not deter you from returning to our resort in the future. Should we have another chance to welcome you, please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed 5 January 2017 via mobile

Hi, we travel quite a bit and have learned to overlook little defects, like hair in the shower, dust bunnies under the bed, or crumbs around the fridge etc. Yes, our Horseshoe room had all of those and then some. Pillows were super stuffed and hard, hence very uncomfortable for both adults in the room, and completely useless for my son. The ventilation/heating doesn't work, we actually had to turn the a/c on to get some fresh air in the room. Other than that, the room was a generous size and the decor appeared recently updated, which was a nice surprise.
The pool area was clearly not cared for. There were wet towels everywhere and the the change room was quite gross. The arcade wes a complete let down, half the games were out of order and half of the rest should have been too, because they wouldn't dispense tickets or react to the controls. Food in restaurants was good, but very limited. We stayed 7 nights and had the same food 3 night in a row. My son, who's allergic to dairy and vegetarian had the same meal every night. There was not a single option on the menu he could order, so the chef agreed to make him a special order, which I was very thankful for.
Overall, the hotel didn't leave a good impression and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. In the interest of enjoying our holidays, I choose to overlook the shortcomings and focus on the good stuff.
Well, my positive attitude was quickly crushed at check out. My mom had offered to pay for all the extra charges and to make sure they don't get charged to my card, she went down to pay for them the night before check out. The next morning, when we arrived at the front desk to return the room cards, I was, however, asked to pay for the extras again. Of course both me and my mom have previously been informed that the charges have been paid for, so we wanted to clarify the situation. The "manager" completely dismissed our concerns of being double charged, visibly displaying her arrogant disaproval of my questioning either the ability of the evening staff or the integrity of the system. As I was passing her a credit card to cover the extra charges (again) she didn't say a word, turned her back to me and walked away to serve another customer. At this point I lost it and demanded that she completes the transaction - only to be completely ignored. When she completed the other transaction, she very slowly returned, clearly demonstrating her position of power in the situation and with a smirk on her face proceeded to publicy lecture me on how I need to behave, like I was a two year old with a tantrum. She told me that I need to accep that a human error might have occured and that it's completely impossible that their system made an error. All along she spoke to me like I was a complete idiot, NEVER ONCE apologized for the misunderstanding or misinformation. We payed well over 3000 for our vacation, truly tried to focus only on the positive along the way, we never complained about anything, patiently waited for every bit of service (and there's a lot of waiting for just about anything at this resort), only to have the last day spoiled by this arrogant "manager" completely unfit for any customer service role.

Besides sharing this incident, I'd like to advise every visitor to do their research and make sure to study every charge. Some of the resort employees will actually literally go out of their way to overcharge you, if at all possible. I was very disappointed when I realized that instead of recommending that I get a $15 annual pass for my 5yo, the ski school administration actually proceeded to change his birthday in the system, so they could charge me around $200 for lift tickets on top of his 9 skiing lessons. The money was refunded without any problems when I went back the next day and told them that we won't be needing those lift tickets in the end, as he'll bring his season ski pass to his future lessons. Yes, they do know about the option.
A VERY SAD way to increase revenues :(

To end on a positive note, the "non-managerial" staff at the resort were really friendly and tried hard (frequently despite visible lack of training or general information) to make our stay as pleasant as possible. We really enjoyed interacting with all of the wait staff at both restaurants, the chefs we spoke with, housekeeping staff, the spa staff, all of the ski instructors, maintenance people and even the front desk crew.

The resort needs real management, instead of just promoting people who've stuck around the longest into management positions.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor review concerning your recent stay at Horseshoe Resort. I would like to apologize for the areas where we fell short in our service and product during your stay. I appreciate your comments and want to assure you that each of your valued remarks will be reviewed by the team to ensure that we can continuously improve the quality of our service to all our guests in the future.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to demonstrate our commitment of service excellence.

Reviewed 4 January 2017 via mobile

Our family decided to try something different and go skiing for New Years. We were there for two nights, December 30-January 1. I don't ski, my husband and my two girls do. The one positive of this trip was the skiing, my girls loved the hills, they had a great time skiing.

The resort on the other hand was disappointing. Our room was nice enough, the fireplace was a nice extra we wanted, nicely decorated with a modern bathroom. It lacked cleanliness, it was gross. There were hairs in our shower when we arrived, the "maid" service was 10 minutes, didn't clean anything; made the beds and emptied the garbage cans, that is it. My kids needed the extra blanket in the closet due to the wicked draft from the window, it killed me to give it to them, obvious it was folded and thrown up there, I'd put money that it wasn't washed.

The resort lacks organization/communication. We had never been to this resort so we knew nothing about it. We were handed a "map" with a size 4 font, it was so difficult to read. We didn't know where anything was. No info on tubing, skating, things to do.

I don't ski so I was totally prepared for lots of alone time, possibly a day trip of some kind. I was misinformed by a friend prior to going that there were shuttles, shops, things to do. Nothing! Saw a sign for shuttles but within the resort to who knows what. There are no shops, nothing to do but eat and ski.

You would think on New Year's Eve, there would be signs, things going on. My kids were told by an organizer during the day that there would be fireworks at 9:30, we went down at 9:20, waited 15 minutes......nothing! When I asked another employee, was told that we missed them!?!? She said she was told they were going to be at 10, doesn't know what happened.

Telus was there on the 31st doing a ton of promo stuff, even set up a huge tv outside with the junior game, it was pretty cool actually. Packed up and gone by 5. Would've been very cool to keep the tv outside and have a countdown outside at midnight.

Hallways were dirty, loud guests late into the night.

My kids were so excited to go to the arcade, well they were there for 10 minutes before it unexpectantly closed early, the young employee told them it would reopen at 8 AM. They eagerly ran down at 8 AM only to find that it was still closed and would not reopen, we were given a credit.....totally besides the point.

One of the worst parts, there was a lot of snow......none of the walkways right out the front door of the resort were cleared!!?!? I wanted to ask why, I just could not believe it. Morning, noon and night, covered on snow. I felt bad for the women in heels!

Anyway, I will not be returning to this resort, ESPECIALLY after what we paid for two night here, totally not worth it!

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Wendy D, Guest Relations Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2017

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to share your observations. Feedback such as yours, though critical is important to us and appreciated. I sincerely apologize for the poor impression we made and for failing to meet your expectations.

Ultimately your stay should have been seamless. Our priority at this point is to regain your confidence in our resort and the services we provide. In an effort to do that, it would be my pleasure to personally assist you on a future reservation, extend a discount and look at ways to enhance your stay with us. Though this gesture will not replace your recent experience, it is extended to you as a token of our concern. Once you decide on dates, I ask that you contact me directly at 705-835-7875 or via email at wendyd@horseshoeresort.com.

Reviewed 4 January 2017

The check in was frustrating and the service was not what I would expect from a Skyline resort. There were a few bugs in our room and at the pool, which the front desk was not alarmed about in any way, nor did they make an effort to take care of them when I informed them. Internet cut out half way through our movie in the evening, and was not restored. Snow tubing was fun, but $4.00 per slide down the hill. Our room had a mirror with big black circles and the overall impression was that it looked dated and smelled musty.

We aren't planning to go back any time soon.

Room Tip: The lofts are apparently nicer, but we did not see them. Bring your own pillow as the pillows are un...