“Worth your money”
Review of Horseshoe Resort

Horseshoe Resort
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
Reviewed 9 January 2017

There aren't many slopes for skiing, but enough for a couple of days of fun. It's definitely worth the price, they have good deals for skiing and staying the night and the room is great. (I only went on winter, so I don't know about summer activities)

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 January 2017

I had booked this resort for a two night stay for my family and two other family through my WorkPerks. We were so excited to get away. When we got there just before check in time at 4pm only to be told that there were no linens for our bed as the truck delivering them, and it's back up, were both involved in collisions due to the weather. When we actually went to our room, the floors and room itself had not been cleaned. Hair, popcorn on the floor. No standard amenities (shampoos, conditioner, lotion, etc.). So despite the no linens, they hadn't even cleaned our room. One of our friends room the coffee maker wasn't working. The other friends room, the fridge wasn't working. Linens finally arrived around midnight. One of the families when they arrived, their beds looked like they had been made but actually only had on the fitted sheet (no flat) and that was dirty!!!

Next day, similar to someone else's complaint I read, I complained to the front desk that my children do a better job making the bed. Literally, it looked like someone had just pulled up the comforter. They did replace the towels, but floors still not swept.

Crazy Horse Restaurant - ridiculous service. First night, after repeatedly asking, I had to get up to get my own napkins and cutlery. Second night the same (Is it optional really???). My daughter ordered a grilled cheese off the kids menu, and she got a plate of cheese. They had apparently misunderstood and thought she only wanted cheese. We then had to wait about 20 minutes to get her order. Everyone else's order arrived fine and was delicious except they brought the wrong order for my husband as well. We had all finished eating when my daughter and husband's order arrived.

Second night, arrived at 7:10. Put our order in right away. Didn't arrive until 8:20. Not great when you have tired kids. We did ask them for some celery and carrot sticks which they graciously provided.

Final evening, after a long day of skiing, one of my friends discovered that their son's bathing suit was missing after searching high and low (we came home and its still nowhere to be seen). Reported it to the front desk, and they said it may have accidentally been picked up with the dirty towels by the cleaning staff.

All in all the front line staff were terrific. In particular Kathy and Jill. They were dealing with many complaints during that time and did so with grace. We were given complimentary breakfast both days (amazing by the way!) and a discount off of our rooms, but this is inherently a management problem that needs to be addressed. Where are they spending their money on, how are they training their staff. It may be a tired 70'sish facility, but doesn't have to feel like a dive motel if a little love is put into the service and facilities.

On a positive note, everyone who skied had a wonderful time on the hills.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Wendy D, Guest Relations Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2017

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor review concerning your recent stay at Horseshoe Resort. I would like to apologize for the areas where we fell short in our service and product during your stay. I appreciate your comments and want to assure you that each of your valued remarks will be reviewed by the team to ensure that we can continuously improve the quality of our service to all our guests in the future.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to demonstrate our commitment of service excellence.

Reviewed 8 January 2017

First time stayed at this hotel but didn't enjoy our stay because hotel lacks amenities. Room was clean but not enough seats for family, couldn't sleep because of pillows were not very comfortable. Pool area was not very clean, hot tub was not working, sauna was not in very good condition. There was no dryer available to dry cloths.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to share your observations. Feedback such as yours, though critical is important to us and appreciated. I sincerely apologize for the poor impression we made and for failing to meet your expectations.

I do hope this one experience will not deter you from returning to our resort in the future.

Reviewed 8 January 2017

I wanted our dog-daughter to have a real Canadian winter experience since it was her first time in the country when it is cold; not good for snowmobiling because of the ice, and we had already been skating and had plans to watch an outdoor hockey game (Centennial Classic at BMO Stadium). So a friend suggested tubing, where snow quality is not as important as for skiing or snowmobiling. We did not spend the night, so this review only refers to tubing. The facility is close to Toronto, making a day trip easy. Some facilities ask you to pay for each run, but here you have the option of paying for a two hour or full day pass as well. We opted for the former. Staff was helpful, the waiting time getting to the top on the conveyer belt was not excessive no the line at the top where the official has you wait until the run is clear of the people at the bottom who last used it. They tell you the few don'ts, and teach you the options for the dos. Overall a highly recommended experience for non-skiers or those just learning and wanting a bit of exhilaration novice skiers often do not get. The clubhouse has all the hot drinks and snacks you need. Two hours for two including tax was about $54.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Mezcal_Tours
Reviewed 7 January 2017

First off, I would like to say that I have never written a review before. I travel frequently for business as well as with family for vacations and getaways and do understand the differences in classes of hotels. That is NOT where my complaint lies. Although we did not expect a 5 star experience from this hotel, we did expect it to be clean. Our stay was from Jan 2-4 and included 2 rooms for a ski and stay package. On arrival, we had to call housekeeping to have the bed linens in both rooms changed as there was blood on the linens. We were unsure if the blood was "fresh" or merely couldn't be washed out (it appeared to be fresh which indicated the linens were not changed). Additionally, towels in one room were dirty and they were replaced as well. The staff was polite and apologized for this happening.

As bad as the hotel having dirty linens and towels on check in is, this is not the main problem we had. The next day, we left the used and wet towels in the bathtub for replacement. When we arrived back in our room we discovered that the beds looked like they were made by a 3 year old. The sheets and comforter were just "thrown" back over to cover the pillows with no attempt to try to make the bed. Also, our towels were replaced with DIRTY towels. They were dry and could not have been from our room, but they were clearly USED by someone else. This was DISGUSTING!! It also led us to believe that NO hygiene is being practiced at this hotel.

For the record, we left the maid a $10 tip for the work we thought they would do and really all we expected was the beds made and the towels replaced. We are a very tidy and neat family and there was no other work required by their staff.

Finally, on Jan 3 which was the main day to ski on our stay it rained heavily for the whole day (actually started the night before and lasted all day). I called the hotel manager and asked if we could get ski passes for another visit sometime in the future. He stated that their policy was to only provide passes if the ski hill was closed. I said that there is NO ONE skiing today because of the heavy rain and he said "Yes I know" He then said "to let him get his head around it" and check with him in the morning. When we did, he said there was nothing he could do. What a waste to have a Manager who has no clue as to when customer service is required. If he has no situational awareness, then there is no point in having him represent the hotel.

For those that take this review with a grain of salt (as I have always done reading reviews in the past), trust me when I say you do not want to stay at this hotel. My advice if you want to ski at Horseshoe is to stay in Barrie and make the 15 minute drive.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY HERE! There is no hygiene from the management of this hotel

Reviewed 7 January 2017

My husband and I spent a week at the Horseshoe Valley resort in Barrie in January 2017 and overall had a good trip. It was our Christmas gift to each other and we were just looking to get away for a few days (Mon - Fri). Highlights were definitely the pool and the spa! The hotel room was nice & clean, although the mattress (king sized) could have been a lot better (sagging in the middle). They have a Keurig machine which is great for heating water (we brought our own water, cups, & tea) and they offer coffee k-cups. The room also has a small fridge, although no microwave.

The resort is great for people who want to cross country ski, snowshoe, downhill ski, or go downhill tubing. My husband and I are not really into skiing, but we tried the cross country which was okay (you need to be in pretty good shape to find this enjoyable) and we used the pool/hot tub almost daily. The pool is decent, "S" shaped, and progressively gets deeper (not something you can swim lengths or dive in). The hot tub is quite nice although the pool & hot tub can get very busy (we were there while school was out so lots of kids). The pool towels they hand out at the front desk are ridiculously small (like 3 hand towels put together) so we used the ones from our room instead. If you're arriving at the resort when its busy be prepared to not check in until the official time (4pm). You can still use the resort but you won't have access to your room until then.

Improvements that would have made the trip better were walking trails and an actual skating rink. There were basically no trails that you could just walk on (everything was for ski or snowshoeing) and the "ice rink" that they advertised is a very tiny (maybe 20' by 20') on the ground box outside the Crazy Horse restaurant. They appeared to be having a hard time flooding it and it was completely unusable during our entire stay, despite the cold weather, which was a big disappointment for me as I'm an avid skater. In my opinion they are a big enough outdoor resort that they could build a small outdoor rink with a roof & half-wall sides, with an actual zamboni, and then use the area in the off season for floor hockey or as a covered gazebo. They have one of these in Aberfoyle (down the road from me) and it is fabulous and well used.

In terms of food I would skip the hotel breakfast and go to Loobies just up the street. Its WAY cheaper and it tastes a lot better. We had several lunches & dinner's at both the Crazy Horse and Inn Steakshouse. Both were okay, the brownie dessert at the Crazy Horse was AMAZING!!! Dinner at the Steakhouse was very nice and more upscale, as is intended.

We also visited the spa on our last day and had a fabulous couples massage, scalp massage, and pedicure. It was expensive ($400 including tax & tip) but very much worth it as that night we booked as a spa night so we got $200 to use towards spa services.

If you are using hotel packages (e.g. the dinner packaged combined with spa package) be sure to work out the approximate cost in advance as when we went to check out they had forgotten to apply our $300 discount for our dinner package nights (which I thankfully noticed before I paid).

In conclusion, its a great resort to stay at if you are going to actually use the facilities. My husband and I were not as adventurous as we could have been (he caught a cold mid-week) so we didn't end up making very good use of the facility. Considering we had to pay an additional $30 resort fee daily it would probably have been cheaper for us to stay elsewhere. Also, keep in mind that all the activities have a fee, even if you bring your own skis or snowshoes, so it can be pricey to go as a family, depending on what you are interested in doing. Overall, its a nice place to go if you're interested in skiing.

We are thinking of going back for a weekend next year to try the beginner ski package and do the spa again :)

Room Tip: Paid for "courtyard view" room which was cheaper and had beautiful view of snow covered hi...
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2017

The pull out sofa bed did not have a cover sheet for sleeping.Despite multiple phone calls, a cover sheet was never provided. The cushions were torn. There were multiple stains on the sofa.Substandard accommodation.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family

Your comment on accommodation is important to us and want you to know that since joining Skyline Hotels & Resorts, we have been re-investing in our property. All of our main building rooms have received a full renovation and some of our 1 & 2 bedroom condos have received a full or partial renovation including carpet, furnishings, fixtures and drapery. The renovation project will continue into this year as well, to complete the entire building.

Wendy

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barrie
21.8 km away
21.6 km away
Stone Gate Inn
Stone Gate Inn
#1 of 14 in Orillia

Been to Horseshoe Resort? Share your experiences!