“Tubing (or actually just cold and waiting because that is what I spent most of the time doing)”
Review of Horseshoe Resort

Horseshoe Resort
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
Reviewed 10 January 2017

We paid for a 2 hour tubing session. The facility is not well organized. First, the facility did not have enough tubes for everyone. We had to wait at the bottom for people who finished their runs to give up their tubes so we could get tubes. Then, after we got up to the top of the runs, we waited 20-30 minutes (this is not a typo!) before it was our turn to go down. The lines were really really long. People were going down one at a time. Once someone went down the run, they would slide partly back up the run with their tube and then have to walk all the way back to the bottom of the run before they could exit. It took a while for the run to clear and no one could go until the run was clear. It is not efficiently designed. In the first hour, we went down twice and stood in line freezing the rest of the time. This was not fun. Perhaps Horseshoe could think of a better, more efficient way to organize this activity so that the lines could move faster and more time could be spent actually tubing. One suggestion is to have most of the runs designated as minimum of 4 riders so that groups could go down quicker and allow singles on only or two runs. Regardless, it was not worth the money. The runs are short, the lines are long and there must be better things that I could do with my time.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrea F
Wendy D, Guest Relations Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2017

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor review concerning your experience in our tube park recently. I would like to apologize for our service and failing to meet your needs. I appreciate your comments and want to assure you that each of your valued remarks will be reviewed by the team to ensure that we can continuously improve the quality of our service to all our guests in the future.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Wendy

Write a ReviewReviews (1,041)

Reviewed 10 January 2017

We booked 2 "premium" rooms (5th floor) in the Slopeside Tower (504 & 505) but I would not say it was a "premium" experience. We had booked for 3 nights & 4 days (Thur to Sunday) as a family fun filled weekend. As others have noted, the rooms were not available until 4:00 pm. Front desk staff were nice.
Our first impression of the "premium" rooms was of a bit of disappointment. While there is a small room/area just inside the entrance, suitable for ski equipment there was not a coat hook in either of the 2 units. Now one would expect to be able to hang damp or wet ski coats and pants and this room would have be perfect, or when people come over a place for them to hang their coats. Even the closets in the 2 bedrooms only had 4 hangers in each. So, where is a person supposed to hang indoor and outdoor clothing? One of our rooms (505) was a bit better than the other (504) but not much. Dishes were somewhat mismatched, they might have started out as all the same but they were not now. The kitchen chairs in our unit (505) were nice with cushioned seats with arms but the chairs in the other unit (504) were metal, no arms, the type I might have outside on a patio (not premium). The quality of the workmanship in the up grade to "premium" was poor, the vanity in our master bathroom (505) was somewhat askew (maybe someone sat on it at some point) but I doubt it had been mentioned to maintenance by housekeeping. The dishwasher in 505 had to be worked at to get the door to close so it would work (I am not sure the door was actually closed tightly when it was working, but there was not water leakage so I over looked that issue).
We didn't find out until we were leaving that the fireplaces could have been used. The doors in both units were tied together by a plastic bag and so we presumed that we could not use them and what further lead us to that conclusion was the storage area built to hold firewood was clean and showed no signs of wear and tear.
On a positive note, the skiing was good and ideal for young skiers and those who want to improve their skills. The lift operators were very friendly..
The x-country and snowshoe trails are good, my wife spent her time on those.
We ate most of our meals in our room but did do the Saturday evening dinner at the Crazy Horse, the food was good, maybe a bit slow to come out of the kitchen.
Would we go again, yes, but not pay for "premium" rooms, not worth the expense.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for posting a review and your compliments on our friendly lift operators.

Your comment on accommodation is important to us and want you to know that since joining Skyline Hotels & Resorts, we have been re-investing in our property. All of our main building rooms have received a full renovation and some of our 1 and 2 bedroom condos have received a full or partial renovation. The renovation project will continue into this year as well.

In addition to improving our guestroom product many amenities and facility improvements have been done around the resort and we will continue into this year as well.

Also want you to know that we do our best to set our prices to remain competitive and appreciate your feedback as we continue to evaluate this.

I do hope this one experience will not deter you from returning to our resort in the future. Should we have another chance to welcome you, please contact us directly so we can facilitate your reservation and ensure you receive one of our newly renovated rooms. We remain hopeful that we will hear back from you to assist in the future.

Reviewed 9 January 2017

There aren't many slopes for skiing, but enough for a couple of days of fun. It's definitely worth the price, they have good deals for skiing and staying the night and the room is great. (I only went on winter, so I don't know about summer activities)

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2017

I had booked this resort for a two night stay for my family and two other family through my WorkPerks. We were so excited to get away. When we got there just before check in time at 4pm only to be told that there were no linens for our bed as the truck delivering them, and it's back up, were both involved in collisions due to the weather. When we actually went to our room, the floors and room itself had not been cleaned. Hair, popcorn on the floor. No standard amenities (shampoos, conditioner, lotion, etc.). So despite the no linens, they hadn't even cleaned our room. One of our friends room the coffee maker wasn't working. The other friends room, the fridge wasn't working. Linens finally arrived around midnight. One of the families when they arrived, their beds looked like they had been made but actually only had on the fitted sheet (no flat) and that was dirty!!!

Next day, similar to someone else's complaint I read, I complained to the front desk that my children do a better job making the bed. Literally, it looked like someone had just pulled up the comforter. They did replace the towels, but floors still not swept.

Crazy Horse Restaurant - ridiculous service. First night, after repeatedly asking, I had to get up to get my own napkins and cutlery. Second night the same (Is it optional really???). My daughter ordered a grilled cheese off the kids menu, and she got a plate of cheese. They had apparently misunderstood and thought she only wanted cheese. We then had to wait about 20 minutes to get her order. Everyone else's order arrived fine and was delicious except they brought the wrong order for my husband as well. We had all finished eating when my daughter and husband's order arrived.

Second night, arrived at 7:10. Put our order in right away. Didn't arrive until 8:20. Not great when you have tired kids. We did ask them for some celery and carrot sticks which they graciously provided.

Final evening, after a long day of skiing, one of my friends discovered that their son's bathing suit was missing after searching high and low (we came home and its still nowhere to be seen). Reported it to the front desk, and they said it may have accidentally been picked up with the dirty towels by the cleaning staff.

All in all the front line staff were terrific. In particular Kathy and Jill. They were dealing with many complaints during that time and did so with grace. We were given complimentary breakfast both days (amazing by the way!) and a discount off of our rooms, but this is inherently a management problem that needs to be addressed. Where are they spending their money on, how are they training their staff. It may be a tired 70'sish facility, but doesn't have to feel like a dive motel if a little love is put into the service and facilities.

On a positive note, everyone who skied had a wonderful time on the hills.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor review concerning your recent stay at Horseshoe Resort. I would like to apologize for the areas where we fell short in our service and product during your stay. I appreciate your comments and want to assure you that each of your valued remarks will be reviewed by the team to ensure that we can continuously improve the quality of our service to all our guests in the future.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to demonstrate our commitment of service excellence.

Reviewed 8 January 2017

First time stayed at this hotel but didn't enjoy our stay because hotel lacks amenities. Room was clean but not enough seats for family, couldn't sleep because of pillows were not very comfortable. Pool area was not very clean, hot tub was not working, sauna was not in very good condition. There was no dryer available to dry cloths.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to share your observations. Feedback such as yours, though critical is important to us and appreciated. I sincerely apologize for the poor impression we made and for failing to meet your expectations.

Reviewed 8 January 2017

I wanted our dog-daughter to have a real Canadian winter experience since it was her first time in the country when it is cold; not good for snowmobiling because of the ice, and we had already been skating and had plans to watch an outdoor hockey game (Centennial Classic at BMO Stadium). So a friend suggested tubing, where snow quality is not as important as for skiing or snowmobiling. We did not spend the night, so this review only refers to tubing. The facility is close to Toronto, making a day trip easy. Some facilities ask you to pay for each run, but here you have the option of paying for a two hour or full day pass as well. We opted for the former. Staff was helpful, the waiting time getting to the top on the conveyer belt was not excessive no the line at the top where the official has you wait until the run is clear of the people at the bottom who last used it. They tell you the few don'ts, and teach you the options for the dos. Overall a highly recommended experience for non-skiers or those just learning and wanting a bit of exhilaration novice skiers often do not get. The clubhouse has all the hot drinks and snacks you need. Two hours for two including tax was about $54.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Mezcal_Tours
Reviewed 7 January 2017

First off, I would like to say that I have never written a review before. I travel frequently for business as well as with family for vacations and getaways and do understand the differences in classes of hotels. That is NOT where my complaint lies. Although we did not expect a 5 star experience from this hotel, we did expect it to be clean. Our stay was from Jan 2-4 and included 2 rooms for a ski and stay package. On arrival, we had to call housekeeping to have the bed linens in both rooms changed as there was blood on the linens. We were unsure if the blood was "fresh" or merely couldn't be washed out (it appeared to be fresh which indicated the linens were not changed). Additionally, towels in one room were dirty and they were replaced as well. The staff was polite and apologized for this happening.

As bad as the hotel having dirty linens and towels on check in is, this is not the main problem we had. The next day, we left the used and wet towels in the bathtub for replacement. When we arrived back in our room we discovered that the beds looked like they were made by a 3 year old. The sheets and comforter were just "thrown" back over to cover the pillows with no attempt to try to make the bed. Also, our towels were replaced with DIRTY towels. They were dry and could not have been from our room, but they were clearly USED by someone else. This was DISGUSTING!! It also led us to believe that NO hygiene is being practiced at this hotel.

For the record, we left the maid a $10 tip for the work we thought they would do and really all we expected was the beds made and the towels replaced. We are a very tidy and neat family and there was no other work required by their staff.

Finally, on Jan 3 which was the main day to ski on our stay it rained heavily for the whole day (actually started the night before and lasted all day). I called the hotel manager and asked if we could get ski passes for another visit sometime in the future. He stated that their policy was to only provide passes if the ski hill was closed. I said that there is NO ONE skiing today because of the heavy rain and he said "Yes I know" He then said "to let him get his head around it" and check with him in the morning. When we did, he said there was nothing he could do. What a waste to have a Manager who has no clue as to when customer service is required. If he has no situational awareness, then there is no point in having him represent the hotel.

For those that take this review with a grain of salt (as I have always done reading reviews in the past), trust me when I say you do not want to stay at this hotel. My advice if you want to ski at Horseshoe is to stay in Barrie and make the 15 minute drive.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY HERE! There is no hygiene from the management of this hotel