“Really good quality for a Hojo”
Review of The Marigold Hotel

The Marigold Hotel
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Brampton
Reviewed 15 April 2011

I travel a lot and stay in 4 and 5 star hotels
on business.
A few months back my usual spot in Brampton
was booked solid on a busy weekend and I had to book several
rooms at the Howard Johnson at the last minute.
I was actually surprised by the service I got and
the room was large and very clean. The room
size is no different than most 4 star hotels
and the carpet and furnishings were in great condition.
The major difference was that the lobby was smaller than
the elaborate style lobbies in 5 stars that I'm used to but it
was still cozy and comfortable.
Hojo is a family style hotel chain but things went fine
for me there. No issues at all.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
15  Thank TheBeavCrew

Reviewed 13 April 2011

It is with great pleasure we are taking this time to write this review. I believe that after all the negative comments that we've often forewarded, it is time, having recieved such good sevice and lived in such great conditions in our hotels rooms for that weekend, that we write a possitive note.

First of all, our expectations were on the low side. We believed that the best of the best hotels can only be found in the attraction areas in town. This little gem has the service and customer care as any 4 or 5 star hotel that we have stayed at in North America.

I am a retired Caterer and have been and continue to be in the hospitality/entertainment industry as a Audio Video Tech., for live shows and also work as a MC/DJ for special events. My family, associates and I do have a nose for quality service after working and travelling together for past 19 yrs.

From the front desk to the bathrooms, reception to the skylight banquet room, it is obvious that every area was cared for and the staff were always there to help.

To the management and team..... BRAVO!!! Please continue the good work!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
13  Thank UncleC63
BOBBT, Public Relations Manager at The Marigold Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2011

Thank you much for your kind words. Major upgrades have been
made on the Queen Street corridor and we feel that finally the
Howard Johnson Inn & Suites is in the right place at the right time.
We are very happy to hear that all went well for your family function
and Hotel visit. All the best.

PR Dept
Howard Johnson Inn & Suites

Reviewed 20 March 2011

we went to Brampton to visit some friends and
stayed at the Howard Johnson. Our room was large and
the carpet smelled like it was brand new. We were traveling with
our 6 year old daughter and 3 year old son and the whole family
was happy with the hotel and the people we met there.
The breakfast that was included was a great bonus.
Overall it was a good experience and economically priced.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
13  Thank LSmarda
Reviewed 6 March 2011

I checked in to the Howard Johnson last week on a business trip and just want to report that the room had everything I needed at an honest value. Last time I stayed there the street area was under construction and I was pleased to see that work is finished and they have really upgraded that part of Brampton. The hotel staff was very nice as always. They ran out of coffee in the morning and a staff member took care of it right away for me.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
12  Thank Jeff_T11
Reviewed 22 February 2011

Several weeks ago my family attended my cousins wedding at the Howard Johnson Brampton. My husband, daughter, and myself all loved our 2 night stay at the hotel and we were blown away by the banquet facility there called "the Skylight Room".

We found all the front desk staff and banquet staff to be very friendly and helpful. In fact, most of them went the extra mile.

Some of the highlights of the visit were the fresh "do it yourself" giant waffles for breakfast, the beautiful solarium in the banquet hall, and lovely chair covers and decor in
the hall. Our hotel rooms were spacious and very clean.

We recommend this hotel to anyone who is having a wedding or just needs a very nice economical place to stay. I was very impressed and will be staying there the next time
I am in Brampton.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
13  Thank CB_Tremblay
Howardjbrampton, Public Relations Manager at The Marigold Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2011

Thank you so much for this post. This hotel has been under
new management for the past year and there are many
new features here.
We recently added the hot waffle station to make it
a truly deluxe continental breakfast (at no charge) and we're glad
you took note. Looking forward to seeing you again at
Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Brampton.

PR department
Howard Johnson Inn & Suites

Reviewed 3 February 2011

I have to admit that I was leary after reading past reviews... I was literally prepared for the worst.. WOW WAS I WRONG to prejudge a place before experiencing it for myself.
Our group booked a catered conference at this hotel last week. The catering was second to none. Amazing food and exceptional service. My room was huge and absolutely spotless... and the temperature was so warm and comforting in there even from the first moment I walked in my door. Every staff person I met was very friendly and so accomodating. I would have to say that this place is a superior value and I highly recommend to everyone travelling to the Brampton area!
I will definitely be back but hopefully it will be for pleasure with my family next time.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
13  Thank SusanO762
Reviewed 1 November 2010

first off, the staff were all very courteous and friendly. there's a young man who does the cleaning and two things struck me right away: first, he cleaned the glass doors from the very top to the very bottom - each time i saw him. as someone very familiar with the cleaning industry, it's all too common for cleaners to focus on the middle third where the handprints occur and only do the whole thing every third or fourth time. he mopped the floor from wall to wall - didn't just do the high-traffic area with the outlying regions done every third or fourth time. every time i saw him walking along a hallway, if he had a hand free, he was running a cloth along the wall.

the front desk is very kind, too - my older daughter was locked out of her apartment at nearly 3am and although i was willing to pay the differential, they waved it off since it was an emergency and only for the one night.

the lobby is very very nice - not luxey-luxe but definitely up there. lots of rich-looking wood, couches upholstered in brown leather or red/white brocade, kinda thing. tile floor in a very interesting pattern.

elevator - very clean, tile floor matching the lobby, and the buttons are clean; usually i have an "issue" with elevator buttons but not here - no grimey buildup.

the common areas - halls, lobby, breakfast area, stairwell, elevator - all have a light, fresh, citrus-y scent that didn't aggravate my or my daughter's chemical allergies. the hotel is pet-friendly and it was nice to see ppl taking dogs out for walks but there is definitely no "zoo" odour happening. smoke-free hotel, too - it shows.

first impression of my room was "ooo! nice!" - we leave tomorrow; been there for two nights so far. the queen-sized beds each had three fat, plumped-up pillows (actually, for my taste, they were too luxurious - i'm used to sleeping on a speed bump). the window treatment blocks most of the light but enough filters through that you don't get the "dungeon" vibe going. the carpet is clean - housekeeping uses Oreck vacuums, which impressed me. the bathroom - fresh, fixtures look brand-new. they could've done a better job matching the grout when there was some kind of repair done and there's a wee hairline crack running up the corner but, other than that, i have no qualms about using the bathroom as i would my own. the tv is fantastic - flat-screen and a good size - and the coffeemaker was fully stocked with caf and decaf options.

there were three issues i brought to the hotel's attention and i have the impression they'll be fixed pdq:
- the hair dryer was not working properly: hit the "on" button, and it immediately shut off. i had to hold it in and then the bathroom lights dimmed and flickered. the housekeeper took it away immediately.
- the telephone kept messing up: randomly, the sound would cut out. she will try to get that replaced asap.
- the window was the bad thing: someone, very recently, used the window to ram the safety stop all the way to the end (there are bright, fresh gouges in the edge of the block corresponding with gouges on the window frame) and the screen is missing. the window easily opened wide enough to allow a slim adult to get through it. i pointed out that i have a 3-1/2yr old with me and the woman immediately recommended i move to another room because she wanted to close this room as not being safe for occupancy. i declined, as we are leaving tomorrow morning anyway and my daughter is never left unsupervised (not for a moment, there are reasons) but her prompt response was reassuring that the problem will be fixed very quickly. i was annoyed that i do usually have a screwdriver with me but not this time (of course).

the continental breakfast is very basic but hey - free meal's a free meal and everything is kept stocked. the one time the coffee ran out, the girl literally ran from the desk and five min later, i had a steaming hot cup fresh from the brewer.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family